• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Back to school n00b ['definition of a word' essay]

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
For English 101:

Seems easy enough, yet I'm already getting overwhelmed just thinking about it. Our teacher wants us to choose a word (any word), and then define it in our own fashion, citing from these possible sources:

List at least three different kinds of evidence that you will use for this paper. Examples of potential evidence might include personal experience; interviews; quotations from books, films, articles, etc.; factual evidence (such as statistics); dictionary or reference book definitions; and surveys (you can set up surveys at surveymonkey.com)

So, it's a pretty non-linear writing assignment, as you can see. It must be between 3-5 pages long. I'm brainstorming words, but just don't feel like I can provide content to back anything up with 3+ pages of material (some of you are probably thinking "is this guy kidding? Easiest assignment ever!")

Experienced writers, give me guidance and ideas! What are some good word ideas (don't say "love")?

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Try: Feminazi.

It's valid--it was used in my rhetoric textbook.

Just throw some anecdotes about Natsy's and feminists for three pages, and use the last two to bash dem feminazi bitches.

EDIT: But no, seriously, those kinds of assignments are retarded and would make me want to cunt-punt someone. Good luck with that.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Dude, define the word "funk."

It's a minimum of 3-5 pages.

"I am in a funk; I feel depressed."
"That music is funky."
"What the funk is going on here?"
"A kind of funk filled the air."
"He thinks he is the master of funk, but he is wrong."

:solidarity:

-Halla

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
lol, nice...

I'm thinking of going with "Cult".

"Funk" would probably be an easy one though...

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
lol, nice...

I'm thinking of going with "Cult".

"Funk" would probably be an easy one though...

"Cult" is a only a noun.
Sure there are many kinds of cults, but they are all nouns.

Funk is a noun, verb, adjective, etc.

It has more "depth."

Maybe you could write about the Cult of Funk?! :rofl1:

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
If there is/was/will be a "cult of funk", I'm enlisted.

God damn, I hate creative writing.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If there is/was/will be a "cult of funk", I'm enlisted.

Bahahahaaa!!! :rofl1:

God damn, I hate creative writing.

+1.

Dirty Limericks = Creative Writing to Halla :D

Defining one word in 3-5 pages, Halla says :thumbdown:

Get off the Interwebz and knock that paper out dude! :nerd:

Good luck.

:solidarity:

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I've got it. I will attempt to define "God".

Undoubtedly perspectives of who God is and what hearing the term God invokes in a person varies greatly. Does anyone have any other ideas of possible angles to take in tackling the definition of this term?

Beorn

Permabanned
That's not a bad choice given that you could easily write 1000 pages on it let alone 3.

The only problem is that on an assignment like this you want to make sure you don't write anything that will piss off whoever is grading it. Try to write honestly, but if you know anything about the views of your prof keep them in mind. Of course it could be graded by a GA that you'll never see.

I've lied on essays about my perspective in order to get a good grade. It sucks, but that's the way the world works.

In this case since it is english 101 just focus on basic grammar and essay construction. It's open ended so that you can pick something you enjoy writing about.

Chunes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Ramble on about the etymology for a page or two. It can be done for just about any word. Trust me.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
^Word.

So for curiosity sakes, how long do people here take to write a paper. Do you prefer to do pieces at a time, over an extended period of time; or do you sit down and knock it all out in a day?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
^another great one.

Sweet, well at least I have ideas to fall back on.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
You can pick a word which has recently entered our lingo such as "blog" and write about that.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
For a 3-5 page paper, it would take me usually about an hour depending on if I was in the right mood.

Of course that hour would be the hour before class...

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Damn, can you do my paper? I'll post for you on the forums while you do it even. That way, it's almost as if you're spending an hour shootin' the shit here. Like a normal day.