• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Stupid trapezoids

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
You know the trough optimization problems. I used to be able to do these easily and I completely forgot how to do them so I need help.

Trapezoids are 1/2h(a+b), in this case a is the long side, and we're trying to maximize area, which in this case will be y. We know that y and both sides of the trapezoids are 12", so by this we know that h^2=12^2 - .5(a-b)^2. However, if we plug this in and derive we end up with impenetrable square-root barf. I know that there's an easier way to do this. Help?

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
You know the trough optimization problems. I used to be able to do these easily and I completely forgot how to do them so I need help.

Trapezoids are 1/2h(a+b), in this case a is the long side, and we're trying to maximize area, which in this case will be y. We know that y and both sides of the trapezoids are 12", so by this we know that h^2=12^2 - .5(a-b)^2. However, if we plug this in and derive we end up with impenetrable square-root barf. I know that there's an easier way to do this. Help?

This doesn't seem to make any sense. Are you sure you are giving us the correct information? Your post states that you want to maximse the area y, but it also states 'that y and both sides of the trapezoids are 12"'. But if y=12" than it is fixed and cannot be optimised! Plus trapezoids usually gave 4 sides in everday existence, so by both sides do you mean a and h (or b and h). You can't mean a and b, otherwise thats a rectangle.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
This doesn't seem to make any sense. Are you sure you are giving us the correct information? Your post states that you want to maximse the area y, but it also states 'that y and both sides of the trapezoids are 12"'. But if y=12" than it is fixed and cannot be optimised! Plus trapezoids usually gave 4 sides in everday existence, so by both sides do you mean a and h (or b and h). You can't mean a and b, otherwise thats a rectangle.

y is the area, 3 sides of the trapezoid are fixed at 12". The two sides referred to are the hypoteni of h, you know, the slanty ones, and there are two of them, because, you know, trapezoids have 4 sides.