• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Any general advice ? Not sure what to do =P

VanillaCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Right now, I'm planning on majoring in graphic design. I don't draw in my spare time for fun, but what I have drawn (like for school) is amazing. I would like to design stuff like cartoons, or cute hello kitty type things (actually, I'd love it!) but I don't know how easy it is to get a job doing exactly that. When I was younger, I would code my own websites and design my own layouts. I've also done some awesome work with photoshop on my own pictures, and I designed a shirt and some notepads for myself once. I guess from all of that, I just learned that it's hard, and it takes forever if you want to make it perfect. I *love* the finished project so much, I hate doing all the steps to get there.

Another major I'm considering is psychology. I'm always reading magazines and books dealing with it and I'm pretty obsessed with MBTI. And I love analyzing people and thinking about situations and how they'd react, and thinking about why people do certain things... I don't know what kind of job I'd do though, because there's so much out there.

I haven't a clue which one to pick. I feel like they would both be really good, for different reasons...

And then, there's the other, OTHER side..
That I could do a job in something else other than those two options..

Does anyone have any advice for me :) ?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I generally find that there are a lot of things I'd be content with making money for...

.. And I find that, when it comes to the things I love.. to cheapen them with a job that's not as picture-perfect as I'd imagined them being would make the hobby/interest lose it's shiny qualities.

So, here's what I'm aiming for. When it comes to a career, these are the qualities I want:
1. Something I can tolerate. I may get burned out on it from time to time, but at least something where I can take pride in my work and be proficient at it.
2. Financial stability
3. Something that won't consume my entire life unless it becomes something I love so much that it doesn't matter to me if it does. I generally want time to do other things and go on adventures.
4. Something that requires the cheapest, fastest education possible while fulfilling the above items.

With that said.. there are a few side-projects in my life outside of the world of education that I want to get into. I think, especially young people, get stuck in this "Get a degree for it" mode. If you want to work in graphic design, you should go for it and work on it. Whether you work on it in your spare time while educating yourself for psychology (or minoring in it if you wish to go that route) I think that'd be cool.

But generally, the art industry is a hard one to break into. So often people who have genuine talent hold out so long.. when in reality, if you want to do this with your life, you'll find the time for it and let it shine. Art is a slow, long process, and finding a job you like to do in it can sometimes be frustrating.

So, my advice is to go the more practical route with Psychology, and maybe minor in graphic design and work on it as a side project. Everyone needs a hobby, whether you get paid for that hobby or not. :yes: And I don't believe in letting talent go to waste.

VanillaCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Music and alcohol are never wrong.

Huh?

I generally find that there are a lot of things I'd be content with making money for...

.. And I find that, when it comes to the things I love.. to cheapen them with a job that's not as picture-perfect as I'd imagined them being would make the hobby/interest lose it's shiny qualities.

So, here's what I'm aiming for. When it comes to a career, these are the qualities I want:
1. Something I can tolerate. I may get burned out on it from time to time, but at least something where I can take pride in my work and be proficient at it.
2. Financial stability
3. Something that won't consume my entire life unless it becomes something I love so much that it doesn't matter to me if it does. I generally want time to do other things and go on adventures.
4. Something that requires the cheapest, fastest education possible while fulfilling the above items.

With that said.. there are a few side-projects in my life outside of the world of education that I want to get into. I think, especially young people, get stuck in this "Get a degree for it" mode. If you want to work in graphic design, you should go for it and work on it. Whether you work on it in your spare time while educating yourself for psychology (or minoring in it if you wish to go that route) I think that'd be cool.

But generally, the art industry is a hard one to break into. So often people who have genuine talent hold out so long.. when in reality, if you want to do this with your life, you'll find the time for it and let it shine. Art is a slow, long process, and finding a job you like to do in it can sometimes be frustrating.

So, my advice is to go the more practical route with Psychology, and maybe minor in graphic design and work on it as a side project. Everyone needs a hobby, whether you get paid for that hobby or not. :yes: And I don't believe in letting talent go to waste.

Thanks for the advice :)

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Studying's both is a superb idea.

I think you need to do a little more research into 1) what kind of jobs are available and 2) what they entail, day in, day out, and 3) how easy it is to get them.

VanillaCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Studying's both is a superb idea.

I think you need to do a little more research into 1) what kind of jobs are available and 2) what they entail, day in, day out, and 3) how easy it is to get them.

I don't think I can study both... I don't have the money or the desire to devote my time to that.

Wow, those are the exact two majors I'M thinking of.

I'm curious for more inside scoops?

I'm picking psychology. Mostly because I haven't bothered to work on my art portfolio very much. It's like 70% done, but I just lack the motivation for it. So, I'm just going to follow my heart and pick psychology, with no -real- reason, I guess. I just know I love the subject and that I'd probably be really good at it. I saw somewhere that 16% of ENFPs are psychologists, (or was it that 16% of psychologists are ENFPs?) ENFPs also do graphic design a lot too, but I figure that I can go to school and end up with a job relating to psychology and still paint and draw on the side, but if I go to school for graphic design, I can't really do psychology on the side. That's basically my thought process.

inbornart

The two majors are pretty divergent and you need to find out what interests you more. Nobody other than you can answer that question. The other things you may want to consider are – how much time, effort, and money you’re willing to put in to realize the end goal. I am guessing you’ll need to put in a lot more years of college if you want to pursue psychology. On the other hand, entry-level graphic design jobs are available with a two-year degree as long as you have a flair for art. Why don’t you look at the details of both the programs and see which one excites you more? Stevens-Henager College offers graphic arts programs that you can check for guidance!

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hmm...I'm in a similar situation, I'm stuck between animation major, biology major, and business administration/political science major. :doh:

I'd say see what job opportunities arise from each after you would graduate with either one or the other. But also what you consider enjoying more in applications. Can you see yourself being a part of a competitive artistic community and work very hard for each buck, or maybe seeking out random jobs after you graduate (or go to graduate school) with a degree in psychology? See what you would be more comfortable with in the future, and good luck! :hug:

mochajava

MBTI Type
INFJ
It's good to know the day to day realities of each and what it takes to succeed in the fields. How about talking to people currently in those jobs, starting on this forum?

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I'm stuck between English and Art. I want to start doing art cause I think I would love doing it but I want to do english for practical reasons (although I enjoy it too).

I'm discovering that doing a double major in Fine Art and English is not as easy as it sounds though... I guess the great thing about art is you don't need classes to learn it!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
If you're good at graphic design it will be easier to get a job. Psychology you will have to go to grad school to really do anything with. If you don't want grad school, switch to social work instead.

As for the person trying to decide between English and Fine Art - both are pretty risky unless you want to teach or have a specific thing in mind you want to do. I majored in English Lit and minored in French and was VERY VERY LUCKY to get an editing job for an elderly novelist after only 3 1/2 years of college...but I don't think I'd do any better if I actually had an English degree alone without grad school or a teaching certificate. When I go back to college I'm switching to History because I'm sure I want to do preservation.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Sometimes I think we're just all fucked and destined for destitution :p

I'm thinking of going to law school. A lawyer with a background in art, hell yes! :jew:

Or teaching... I don't really know :)

Let it be known I'm currently taking english and in my second year. I just want to incorporate art somehow.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Sometimes I think we're just all fucked and destined for destitution :p

Nah - it's just that it takes more luck or extra formal education if you choose not to do something more practical.

I'm thinking of going to law school. A lawyer with a background in art, hell yes! :jew:

You should talk to Edgar.

Or teaching... I don't really know :)

I could teach if I would finish up my degree - I'm one of those people who would be a 5 year senior because I took so many electives and had such a heavy minor. Even after 3 1/2 years of college I have three semesters left whether I choose to complete English Lit or switch to History. Teaching is kind of my last resort though, which is weird because when I first started college it's what I thought I wanted to do.

Let it be known I'm currently taking english and in my second year. I just want to incorporate art somehow.

You could minor in art. Or major in Art Education if you're sure you want to be a teacher.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
What makes art a difficult thing to take seriously with anything else is that an art degree takes a looot of time and dedication. I'm not sure if it would be possible to do it and another major at the same time. I suppose it could be a minor though.

And I already know a bazillion lawyers in person, so I already have a pretty good knowledge of what I would need to do and what it would be like. Plus I live in Canada so what Edgar would tell me would not be entirely applicable.

But anyway, I should stop posting in this thread cause I already have my own thread about this! :newwink: