• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Internet has ruined everything...

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sure, the economy doesn't help. Sure, you can blame your favorite politician. Sure, you can blame our bloated education/college degree system. However, I'd like to blame the internet. [The internet has ruined the job market.

1. What good does all of this internet induced savings do if we cant get a job to pay for anything?

<> How many countless internet innovations have lowered the cost of something from $20 to $10, and yet, also costs many people's careers who formerly made a living (10s of thousands of dollars)?

2. The internet has taken the USA of "careers and service jobs" economy, and is slowly turning us into a USA of "Engineers and Customer Service" economy.

<> I kid you not, I know of MANY top 30 school people, who did not have technical degrees, who thought, "hey I'm sure even tech companies need soft skills!?" Right? WRONG.
<> They took jobs at these tech companies thinking it would be some sort of track to management, sales, marketing...NOPE. The technology does all of that shit FOR the tech company, and thus these kids are now top 30 college grads (even IVY league) doing glorified customer service. This is only a taste of the future for the USA.

3. The internet has made the jobs that ARE available, much less torable then they were before! What was once maybe jobs that involved phone, face to face, etc are now jobs that involve sitting in front emails all day.

<> I have to believe that clerical jobs have been made easier by the internet.
<> But who the fuck WANTS a clerical job in the first place!?
<> Every other job that used to have the benefit of NOT sitting at a desk all day crunching numbers, has been turned into sitting at a computer all day doing something else.

I cant possibly be the only one with these sentiments. Can I be?

rav3n

Are you ranting against the Internet or is the Internet just a symptom of the greater rant which is technological advancement reducing the number of bodies to facilitate a function?

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are you ranting against the Internet or is the Internet just a symptom of the greater rant which is technological advancement reducing the number of bodies to facilitate a function?

Both are very much what I am complaining about. We are all expendable now in the eyes of the engineers. We are now glorified "soon to be" customer service pawns.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Assuming that you live in the U.S., 76.9% of its GDP is focused in service.

My point is that while that used to mean "knowledge jobs", over time, this will come to mean "customer service" (as the internet continues to replace everyone but the owners of the websites).

rav3n

I did and do understand where you're coming from. So what's the solution? Possibly position yourself to be one of the drivers rather than be driven, no?

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
You've discovered something many people aren't consciously aware of. The internet is transforming the whole economy. Right now unemployment is about 10% and yet the number of job openings is much higher than it normally is during any recession. (Which is unusual. Normally job openings decrease during a recession.) This means that this is structural unemployment. People want jobs, but haven't yet acquired the necessary skill sets to acquire the jobs.

I wouldn't say these are all terrible jobs though. But they certainly are different jobs. I wouldn't think that people can simply count on working their way up the corporate ladder anymore.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You've discovered something many people aren't consciously aware of. The internet is transforming the whole economy. Right now unemployment is about 10% and yet the number of job openings is much higher than it normally is during any recession. (Which is unusual. Normally job openings decrease during a recession.) This means that this is structural unemployment. People want jobs, but haven't yet acquired the necessary skill sets to acquire the jobs.

I wouldn't say these are all terrible jobs though. But they certainly are different jobs. I wouldn't think that people can simply count on working their way up the corporate ladder anymore.

True. What you say appears to be very...true, unfortunately.

As you say, "acquire the skills necessary". What if I didn't major in engineering or accounting? It's not like I can just go back to school! And I would venture to say that possibly why there aren't many people studying these things is because...YES...those jobs probably DO ...SUCK! :)D haha)

The internet has doomed everyone to stare at a computer screen all day!!!! :(

MBTI Type
INTJ
amishtoldyouso.jpg

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
True. What you say appears to be very...true, unfortunately.

As you say, "acquire the skills necessary". What if I didn't major in engineering or accounting? It's not like I can just go back to school! And I would venture to say that possibly why there aren't many people studying these things is because...YES...those jobs probably DO ...SUCK! :)D haha)

The internet has doomed everyone to stare at a computer screen all day!!!! :(

Well here are a few options. See which of these you like best:

a) Find out what companies are growing in your city and find out what kind of jobs they are looking for. Then you can decide if any of those jobs are palatable or not.

b) Take metaphor's suggestion and be one of the "drivers". This is what I'm trying to do right now, but I haven't made it to the point where I have income yet. It's the high risk, high reward option.

c) Work for the government. Regardless of what the rest of the world is doing the government is still going to collect its taxes and do what it's always done (especially if you are talking about the federal government).

Lucas

MBTI Type
INTP
So, basically you are angry because more efficiency means less people are needed to do the same amount of work?

Historically speaking, whenever jobs have been cut down or eliminated, alternate forms of employment become available. It's not the end of the world.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
This started when they begun building Ford cars on the conveyor belt (ok, I don't know, but I guess around that time). I know it sucks, I am unemployed, but hey, look at the golden lining: They will hit the wall with this strategy. You can't have everybody replaced with technology, because you can't hand out money for free. So, what you get is a disaster. It's only a matter of time and it all comes crashing down.

I think you and I should use our time learning how to grow our own vegetables.

Jaguar

So if you're tired of the same old story
Turn some pages

Roll with the changes.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
I agree with much of what you're saying but the thread title's going too far....

So, basically you are angry because more efficiency means less people are needed to do the same amount of work?

Historically speaking, whenever jobs have been cut down or eliminated, alternate forms of employment become available. It's not the end of the world.

this.

the internet boosted efficiency by leaps and bounds. its going to take a LONG time for things to rebound/stabilize because in this particular case, the technological development moved much faster than markets and populations could adapt to. I mean shit, why do you think the housing market still sucks? its because no one can afford to buy houses anymore, there's still too many transitions being done to stay stable in one place with one job.

I should've listened to my ISTP step dad: learn wielding. those fuckers never run out of work or get laid off, union pay/benefits too.

IMO, dont blame the internet, blame people too lazy to learn something new or unwilling/too stubborn to adapt to changing economic demands. SJs that want to have the same job in the same company for 40 years...... well, yeah, you can kiss that dream goodbye. get off your ass and learn MCSE or plumbing or something.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Go be a farmer or a coal miner then. Trust me, there are jobs available, and coal mining actually pays fairly well.

I'm not interested in your anti-Internet agenda.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Go be a farmer or a coal miner then. Trust me, there are jobs available, and coal mining actually pays fairly well.

I'm not interested in your anti-Internet agenda.

It's not about the internet (at least from my point of view). You can build machines and design software to do many things that are now done by people. What happens when most of that stuff is done by them? You don't need people working. But you still need them as consumers. How can they consume if they have no work?