• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

its a toss up. i need help!

Mitzy

brat
MBTI Type
ENTP
so i finally enrolled in school. now all i have to figure out is what i want to study..im so confused!

i could either get an AA in criminal justice or get a diploma and be a paralegal

pros for paralegal: course is just 8 months and costs roughly 15k
cons: very intense and can be overwhelming/stressful with so much research and paperwork and no interaction with others...which is kind of fine with me, but i feel like it will always be the same routine

pros for criminal justice: more opportunities, more advancement, different cases/situations all the time..theres lots of paperwork, but its not as crucial
cons: 18 months, costs about 40k which is a big issue for me right now

my mom really wants me to do the paralegal cuz she just wants me to start working asap
but idk..

i think being a legal admin. assistant would def be fun and i would learn a lot. however, it would probably just feel like a job to me
whereas i feel crimincal justice would lead more towards a real long-lasting career

thoughts? opinions? which one do you think is better...what would you do?! WHAT WOULD JESUS DO?

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
I'd lean towards criminal justice too.

Job market's crowded in the legal field last time I checked - it might get better as time goes on though, so I'm not sure. Also, not sure I personally think being a paralegal = fun, but to each their own.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
That's one expensive diploma.
Ah, the racket continues.

Gish

Which side are you on?
MBTI Type
PTSD
"Whenever you're called on to make up your mind,
and you're hampered by not having any,
the best way to solve the dilemma, you'll find,
is simply by spinning a penny.
No - not so that chance shall decide the affair
while you're passively standing there moping;
but the moment the penny is up in the air,
you suddenly know what you're hoping
"

-Piet Hein

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
thoughts? opinions? which one do you think is better...what would you do?!
Go for the one that will be less boring and you'll embace. If the other doesn't seem overly interesting and leads nowhere you could be back in the same place in a few years anyway. If you feel there is a big upside in what you can learn from paralegal, like it makes you super qualified for other stuff you want to do, then maybe do it, but I wouldn't do it just to have a job for now. I don't know how loans and the 15k vs 40k work where you are, but I'd guess anything law related will earn you good money to pay it off.

You'll probably get the most insight from asking people similar to you who work in these areas. Maybe call some places and say you are thinking of studying criminal justice and want to find out more. It will let you know what you are aiming at and it also gets you good connections for jobs after you finish study.

WHAT WOULD JESUS DO?
Both.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Do what you want to do, or die in the attempt trying. Seriously. I've seen way too many people who are slaves to their jobs and absolutely hate their lives. I haven't met anyone in a Westernized country who's starved to death. What's the worst that could happen?

Mitzy

brat
MBTI Type
ENTP
40k for an AA?

actually, its not 40k
its 31k, i just looked again
still, its double

i cant say that id be a slave to either of them because i think id enjoy doing both
although, i think i am going to go for the paralegal..

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
actually, its not 40k
its 31k, i just looked again
still, its double

i cant say that id be a slave to either of them because i think id enjoy doing both
although, i think i am going to go for the paralegal..

They both sound really overpriced. An 8 month paralegal certificate should not cost $15K. Make sure you do your research well. I'd say to check the job-placement figures for the school, but the schools often inflate them.
In other words, buyer beware.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Whoaaaaaaaaaaa

I would not pay that much for an AA. No way.

SO the answer is: For those conditions, neither.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
thoughts? opinions? which one do you think is better...what would you do?! WHAT WOULD JESUS DO?

It sounds to me that you prefer the criminal justice route. So that is the route I would suggest. However I agree with other posters that it sounds too expensive. Shop around and see if you can find a better deal.

EDIT: You could also find out what your Holland Codes are for a small fee. It will tell you the types of careers that suit you most.
The Career Key™ - Your Personality - Take the Career Key

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
from what you've said, go for criminal justice. besides, it's usually a plus to take a different direction than a parent wants and succeed. imo if she really is looking out for you, she'll want you to work to your fullest potential and be happy and successful...so if she's just focused on getting you to start work, then she's not doing her job.

Cookie Monster

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
That sounds like tough decision, Mitzy.

All I can say is to be competitive in both of those fields, you will need a bachelors degree. In many cases, an AA is not enough. For $31K, you might as well get the 4-year degree at your local state school and get a work-study job to help cover costs.

I work in the legal field, so I know quite a bit about what is required for paralegals. Although many jobs do not require a 4-year degree, they will require 3+ years of experience in lieu of that. Plus, it helps to have some experience working in the legal field before completing your degree. See if you can't start out as a receptionist or admin assistant to get some experience before you decide if that is what you want to do, and do it part time while getting your degree.

Blown Ghost

MBTI Type
ESFP
Don't decide at all. Take classes that interest you, do well, follow opportunities. Win. :)

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Criminal justice would suit you more, especially if you're an ENTP. It offers more variety.