• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Would an applied linguistics blog be interesting?

Would an applied linguistics blog be interesting?

• Hell yeah! Let's do this thing!!!!!

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Yes, but please include videos, multimedia, presentations, whatever....

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Yes, but please only text

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Perhaps. I have nothing against it.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Not so sure.

• Oh, eff no! Keep your damn language crap to yourself!!!!!!

• Total voters

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm thinking of doing this for several reasons:

a. It might help me learn and remember things.
b. You guys might be interested in the subject.
c. It would be fun.
d. We could all exchange ideas about the subject matter.

For those of you who do not know what applied linguistics is (not to be confused with linguistics) it deals with - in its simplest definition - the learning and teaching of languages. Therefore, it incorporates vary elements of:

a. Linguistics (duh!) - the study of languages, patterns in language, syntax, morphology, phonology, phonetics, grammar, etc.

b. Education - how teachers are being trained and how the system works; how students acquire knowledge, and what is expected

c. Psychology - the best methods of how to impart knowledge and the factors involved in students acquiring knowledge

d. Sociology - the cultural aspects concerning how different areas, regions, or countries learn and teach languages, and how teaching multicultural classes can impact the learning environment as well as how learning and teaching interact

So what do you think?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Wow, okay, I can see 0 people are interested in this except me and one other person, so screw it - I'll do it anyway. :hifive::newwink::devil:

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
Guess what? My degree is in Ling. I wouldn't mind talking to you about that kind of stuff. Being able to talk to people about compounds, determiners, voiced alveolar fricatives, and double doowaps (;)) would be awesome! Drop me a line!

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am a big word-loving nerd so I would be ALL ABOUT reading your linguistics-themed blog. :cheers:

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I'm thinking of doing this for several reasons:

a. It might help me learn and remember things.
b. You guys might be interested in the subject.
c. It would be fun.
d. We could all exchange ideas about the subject matter.

For those of you who do not know what applied linguistics is (not to be confused with linguistics) it deals with - in its simplest definition - the learning and teaching of languages. Therefore, it incorporates vary elements of:

a. Linguistics (duh!) - the study of languages, patterns in language, syntax, morphology, phonology, phonetics, grammar, etc.

b. Education - how teachers are being trained and how the system works; how students acquire knowledge, and what is expected

c. Psychology - the best methods of how to impart knowledge and the factors involved in students acquiring knowledge

d. Sociology - the cultural aspects concerning how different areas, regions, or countries learn and teach languages, and how teaching multicultural classes can impact the learning environment as well as how learning and teaching interact

So what do you think?

I'd love this! It's not my area of study, but I find it really interesting.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sweet - let's rock 'n' roll!!!!! :D

Dear Admin, I wonder if it should be in the blog section, or academics section?