• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Assign a reading/TED video list for a subject on which you are well-informed

Usehername

On a mission
Are you an amateur or professional expert on something? Play professor, assigning a reading list or educational video list for students who want to learn. Remember that even a sentence or two clarifying the assigned text is always helpful for students to anchor their knowledge.

You may wish to:
(1.) provide links of short essays/blogs on the 'net to offer an introductory lay of the land for your fledgling learners (breadth), or
(2.) assume that you have an eager student ready for heavy, directed readings of the intellectual heavyweights that shaped the knowledge.

Hyperlinks to more specific information about a text (author, edition, perhaps reader reviews, etc.) are welcome. :yes:

Let the school year begin! :reading:

(Non-traditional forms of knowledge are welcome.)

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hey, this is an awesome idea! On a similar vein, I was thinking of starting an applied linguistics blog (mostly for me, my career/profession, and studies, but also for you guys, if desired). There, I was hoping to summarize my experience, what I learn (studies and real life), and basically share ideas. This will be a great thread if people utilize it.

Fully endorse!!!!!

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Gee where to begin? :thinking:

Heh, that's what I was thinking. Generally the subjects I'm most knowledgable about I've gained info from so many sources that I couldn't just say "read these things and you'll know everything". Assuming I can remember all of the sources, there is also the issue that some sources only have good information and some parts and the rest can be discarded. Some knowledge is gained from attending lectures or talking with experts. And so on....

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Awesome idea! I'd love to be a student! Unfortunately, I don't consider myself well-informed or expert enough in too many fields of interest to teach others. And I'm sure there are plenty of people here that know more than me in those areas, anyway.

Maybe we should indicate subjects or areas we would be interested in knowing more about and if there enough people, someone might feel encouraged to teach us.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Ok, I'll get the ball rolling. Here on the academic forum a question like this pops up pretty often,

"Which career should I chose?"
or "What should I major in?"
or something similar.

Here are tools I've found that are really useful in answering this question. The first is a career assessment that tells you your Holland Codes. It can be found here: (It does cost a little money.)
The Career Keyâ„¢ - Your Personality - Take the Career Key

The assessment will tell you the types of careers that you will prefer most. Once you know that, you can go to this site to give an idea of what types of jobs suit you. Although I'd also encourage a further google search to see if you can turn up more info.
Interests: Artistic, Enterprising, Investigative

Another useful tool is to discover your talents through one of these books:
"Now Discover Your Strengths"
or "Strengths Finder 2.0"

Either book will give you access to the online assessment which will tell you what your talents are. How does this differ from the Holland Codes? The Holland Codes will tell you what you like to do while the Strengths Finders books will tell you how you like to work.

For example, after looking through your Holland Codes you may decide you want to work with computers. However do you want to assemble hardware, program software, maintain a network, fix customer problems, or something else? Also would you prefer to work with a startup company, or work your way up the corporate ladder? Strengths Finders will help you answer questions like this by letting you know where your talents like. Also knowing your talents can help you know how to design your work to suit your personal style.

Those are the basics. If you feel like you need to know more then look at
"Strengths Based Leadership"
or "Go, Put Your Strengths To Work"

Also anyone that feels like they need to know more can ask here or send me a PM.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Cool! I'll have to put some thought into this one...