• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Exit Interviews, advice needed!

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
How is the best way to handle an exit interview. I dont know if its good to say negative things or not. Thank you for your help :)

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I thing that the number one thing is -- don't burn any bridges. So I'd stay away from the negatives (no matter how satisfying it would be to mention them). Focus on the positives of what you're doing next, and don't be too shy to flatter your present employer a bit ("I learned so much from you", etc. blah blah blah). No need to be fake or lie, but there's definitely an art to leaving a position. Not something I've done, but I've seen numerous people just blow it (when called on the phone, saying "Oh, yeah -- I quit" and hanging up, just not showing up anymore, etc.). I've also seen people who *didn't* blow it come back -- either in a similar or a higher position. Word gets around, and you've got nothing to lose by being gracious and polite, and potentially a lot to lose by going out on a bad note.

Tewt

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah, don't burn any bridges is a good way to go. However, if you do see things that need improvement I'd voice them -- in a non accusatory way. Stay away from the blame game.

They wouldn't ask if they didn't want to know. IME, I've still gotten great references and offers to come back while still being honest in the exit interview.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
So if my reason for leaving is because of my boss, should I not say that in the interview?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't get it. Why do they have things like exit interviews?

(sorry I have no advice)

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
To get feedback about your stay with the company I guess. Ive heard that exit interviews can come back to bite you in the butt though!

rav3n

Stay away from expressing negatives. The better taste you leave, the more likely they will provide a good reference in the future.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How is the best way to handle an exit interview. I dont know if its good to say negative things or not. Thank you for your help :)

BEWARE OF THE FOLLOWING:

If you have a grievance, and you do not state it, then your current employer will claim that they gave you an opportunity to voice as such, and you chose to decline by not informing them.

ALSO =

If you have a grievance and you do state it, then it will be held against you should you ever wish to return working there, which you might, you NEVER KNOW.

SO,

Kelric is right, say NOTHING that can be held against you later. Just say that you have found an opportunity that you wish to explore, THAT IS ALL. Do not tell them WHERE, or WHAT you will be doing, just tell them you've got an opportunity you want to explore.

Don't tell them how much you oved working there, or how much you hated it, business is business, you don't owe them any of that, and they know it.

Any questions, please let me know.

:D

-Halla

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
Yeah, I'm with everyone else in saying don't burn any bridges at all. Be very careful about what you say and how you say it. If your boss is the reason you left, I would not mention anything about it. Halla's advice is the best I think - I think grievances should only be stated if it's something very very serious and even then, I'd be very tactful about how I said it without accusing any one directly.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Okie dokie, my lips are zipped. I'll just say I would like to work different hours. Thanks a bunch guys <3 !

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
i think everyone here has great advice. :nice:

i have always been very outspoken at my jobs, and really spoke out in a big way when i left the job. my feeling is if the bridge is unsteady, BURN IT TO THE GROUND.
but i have been fired a lot, and made enemies that way. it works for me, it is the right thing for me. because i feel like it is the real and true me to speak out about crappy jobs and burn bridges in a firestorm if i need to. but it definitely closes doors and hurts feelings.

i would say tact and quiet grace is the smart and best and RIGHT way to go. don't burn bridges.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I agree with most of the above posts. Anything you say might be used against you.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Don't burn bridges and don't make any criticisms against single individuals. If you have criticism of the way the company was run, state it and state what they might do to fix the problem too. For instance: "I thought that sending xyz papers to this group, then this group, then this group was costly and confusing. It would have been easier to elect one person to make the determination and then go back to the department only if there was a problem." Why not? If they bother to set up an exit interview, I'm guessing they're actually interested in your feedback.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
On the other hand, if you are leaving because of a poor boss, how many other people are affected by this boss, including future employees -- perhaps your own replacement? His managers may have no idea he is a problem if no one says anything. So, you may be doing others a favor by speaking up. Even this can be done tactfully, however, if you frame it as a "personality conflict", that you weren't a good fit working with this particular supervisor. People can read between the lines, especially if you are not the only one who has commented on this person.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So if my reason for leaving is because of my boss, should I not say that in the interview?

What did your boss do? I'm cross with them already :steam:

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
*twiddles thumbs* *taps fingers*

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Kay so I ended up going on the exit interview...here are some suggestions I gave :)

-New supervisors could be on a probationary period, with another experienced supervisor or director – like a buddy system. The buddy will be cc’ed in all emails, providing coaching, training, and advice on how to handle situations, and to make sure everything is being handled correctly and efficiently.

-Interpersonal communications training would benefit leaders (and even employees). Understanding that there are many different personality types in a team, and sometimes need compromise your normal way of communication to get through to certain people. For positive results it is essential.

-Build a training department with one or two people holding the title as “Trainer” for the whole company. Could also take on procedure writing and special projects. There are many knowledgeable people here who train but don’t necessarily have great speaking & teaching skills.

Not bad right!

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
Kay so I ended up going on the exit interview...here are some suggestions I gave :)

-New supervisors could be on a probationary period, with another experienced supervisor or director – like a buddy system. The buddy will be cc’ed in all emails, providing coaching, training, and advice on how to handle situations, and to make sure everything is being handled correctly and efficiently.

-Interpersonal communications training would benefit leaders (and even employees). Understanding that there are many different personality types in a team, and sometimes need compromise your normal way of communication to get through to certain people. For positive results it is essential.

-Build a training department with one or two people holding the title as “Trainer” for the whole company. Could also take on procedure writing and special projects. There are many knowledgeable people here who train but don’t necessarily have great speaking & teaching skills.

Not bad right!

Yeah, if that's all you said and kept it vague without pointing any fingers at specific people, then that's great, solid, practical advice for the company. Well done.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
i think everyone here has great advice. :nice:

i have always been very outspoken at my jobs, and really spoke out in a big way when i left the job. my feeling is if the bridge is unsteady, BURN IT TO THE GROUND.
but i have been fired a lot, and made enemies that way. it works for me, it is the right thing for me. because i feel like it is the real and true me to speak out about crappy jobs and burn bridges in a firestorm if i need to. but it definitely closes doors and hurts feelings.

Yeah, I also am very likely to burn bridges, as long as I considered that job as being crappy. I would personally suggest doing it, as long as you're not a really sensitive person. However, given that panicking about an exit interview is a likely signal of realtively high sensitivity, being tactful might be more appropriate.