• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

college?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Haha, I see where you are coming from. I didn't study for my SAT. I didn't realize how short the essay part's time was, so I spent 20 minutes thinking about what to write, and 5 minutes writing. As a result, I wrote the worst I have EVER written. I am a pretty talented writer, too haha.

But hey, maybe your other kids can do it. It is allllways worth a shot :)
Yep and she can retake it as many times as she wants. Now that she knows what to expect, she could probably PWN it.

I think she's planning on going to IU right now and her grades and SAT scores are plenty good enough to get a loan free education there.

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
Brown does it too, cafe.

And someone else did, but they deleted their post. Sorry, that wasn't to you :)

Yeah, I was the one who said it. Kind of wish I hadn't posted it, but my impulsiveness got away from me. Harvard and Brown are definitely not the only places giving full scholarships to kids from low-income families. Amherst College, Princeton, and Davidson are other great examples. A lot of good schools are doing this sort of thing.

Private schools are overrated. I'd choose the one with more convenience and less tuition personally, as well as the one with the lower cost of living in the general areas.

Kyuuei said it best. Honestly, the best general advice I could give someone applying to colleges right now. :nice:

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was just giving the other example I knew of.

Private schools may be overrated, but that doesn't mean they are more or less good. I think funding isn't always what you should look at, in any case.

Yep and she can retake it as many times as she wants. Now that she knows what to expect, she could probably PWN it.

I think she's planning on going to IU right now and her grades and SAT scores are plenty good enough to get a loan free education there.

From what I have read, colleges don't like you to take it a million times...just 2 or 3. But That could be wrong.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Yeah, I was the one who said it. Kind of wish I hadn't posted it, but my impulsiveness got away from me. Harvard and Brown are definitely not the only places giving full scholarships to kids from low-income families. Amherst College, Princeton, and Davidson are other great examples. A lot of good schools are doing this sort of thing.

Kyuuei said it best. Honestly, the best general advice I could give someone applying to colleges right now. :nice:

Nah, screw Private schools.

I feel like I'd totally get a better education at a public school. It seems like I'd run into a lot of entitled rich kids who's parents money brought them the entire way. That would totally suck ass.

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
Nah, screw Private schools.

I feel like I'd totally get a better education at a public school. It seems like I'd run into a lot of entitled rich kids who's parents money brought them the entire way. That would totally suck ass.

Yeah, what Kyuuei said is best. I was just offering other alternatives in case you did want to go the private school rout.

Re: bolded statement. Truer words never spoken.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think that the rich kids make the school's ed more or less 'good,' again.

And that is awfully stereotypical. Do you have experience?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
What I tell my kids:

Get something marketable that you can tolerate

Avoid student loans at (almost) all costs

Stay away from illegal drugs and people that use them because you can lose your eligibility for federal financial aid forever over one stupid incident.
To receive federal student aid, you must meet certain requirements. You must:
* Not have a drug conviction for an offense that occurred while you were receiving federal student aid (such as grants, loans, or work-study).

FWIW, my husband's degree is from a private school (and we have the student loan debt to prove it) and he's been driving a truck for the last six years because the pay is better.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I don't think that the rich kids make the school's ed more or less 'good,' again.

no, but the education is only part of the college experience. to a lot of people, at least. i care about what type of people I'm living and associating with. I'd like to find like minded people to hang out with.

yeah, it's maybe the only thing I'll be stereotypical with. but it's also true. you're gonna find a ton of entitled rich kids at private schools. and more often times then not, they're pricks. screw them.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I guess I really couldn't say. I would say in a large school, no matter what the funding type, I am bound to find a lot of people I like.

I don't need to like 1500 people out of 2000.

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7

There are stereotypes for a reason, though not always 100% true. And yes, I do.

And you better believe that the quality and character of your fellow students make a HUGE difference in what you get out of your actual college experience. Not everything you learn will be from your professors. Not even close. At least, that was my experience. Depends on what you study, I suppose, as well.

no, but the education is only part of the college experience. to a lot of people, at least. i care about what type of people I'm living and associating with. I'd like to find like minded people to hang out with.

yeah, it's maybe the only thing I'll be stereotypical with. but it's also true. you're gonna find a ton of entitled rich kids at private schools. and more often times then not, they're pricks. screw them.

I agree. :nice: :nice: :nice:

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sorry about the stereotype comment, I didn't really mean to say I don't believe in stereotypes. Because I really, actually do.

I guess I more wanted to say closed minded. Personally, if I went to school with a bunch of pricks, I would form my own group of friends, and have a ton of fun pissing off the assholes and playing pranks on them.

FTR, I have a friend who goes to a relatively cheap college, and people are STILL assholes. A lot of them, especially the girls.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've got some basics out of the way. I've taken 4 APs and will take 3 more this year. and I took an intro to forensics that is interchangeable with a liberal arts credit.

Kyuuei is right (again). Get an A.A. (Associate in Arts) or A.S. (Associates in Science) degree from a community college ANYWHERE. Why?

Because the 60 semester hours of credits you get in an AA or AS program apply to ANY 4-YEAR B.A. or B.S. degree (Business, Engineering, Biology, Psychology, etc.) so long as your AA/AS is from an accredited university.

So, you won't lose any of your first two years of college, no matter what. If you start out as a biology major and then change your major to management information systems (like I did) then you will lose lots of credit hours. :thumbdown:

Also, don't fuck around, take some math courses! Employers value quantitative skills in this job market. The most sought after undergraduates in the job market are S.T.E.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) majors. I heard this first hand from a very high ranking sales rep that works for Microsoft, and he is heavy into recruiting stats. :yes:

i'm looking at the U of Minnesota and the U of Florida. I could never afford to get into a Private school... screw money. :steam:

Fuck private schools. :thumbdown:

You're not a socially incapable elitist prick.

You're a man of the people, so go to a public university that has good programs in your field of interest, and get a great education for a reasonable price.

IMPORTANT LOOPHOLE regarding OUT-OF-STATE TUITION!!!
In Florida, you will NEVER get in-state tuition if you move here and enroll at a state university within one-year of getting your FL driver's license. Why do I know this? It happened to me. The registrars said this is a "protective measure" to protect Florida taxpayers for footing the bill for thousands of out of state college students wanting to come here to "study in the sun."

BUT - if you move here, get your driver's license, rent an apartment or get your name on a utility statement, etc., and work for a year (>365 days from your FL license issuance date) then you can enroll in ANY state university and pay onlt IN-STATE tuition.

Here's the difference:

Undergraduate Costs 2010-2011
Estimated costs cover two semesters
(15 hours per semester)

Florida Residents Non-Florida Residents
Tuition/Fees
$ 5,238................$ 19,682

On-Campus Housing

Food (Meal Plan)

Books/Supplies

SUBTOTAL
$ 15,418................$ 29,862

Health Insurance*

TOTAL
$ 16,833.................$ 31,277

* FSU has a mandatory health insurance policy for new students admitted to the University. Costs of meeting this requirement will be included in financial aid considerations. Students who currently have health insurance may show proof of comparable coverage and may not be required to purchase the University policy. Refer to Welcome to Thagard Student Health Center for additional information.

Good luck, Bro!

-Halla

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
Sorry about the stereotype comment, I didn't really mean to say I don't believe in stereotypes. Because I really, actually do.

I guess I more wanted to say closed minded. Personally, if I went to school with a bunch of pricks, I would form my own group of friends, and have a ton of fun pissing off the assholes and playing pranks on them.

FTR, I have a friend who goes to a relatively cheap college, and people are STILL assholes. A lot of them, especially the girls.

Fair enough, Antimony.

LOL. Assholes are unavoidable anywhere you go. But there's a higher percentage of them, the "better" and more private the school is.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Alright, that makes sense. A lot, actually.

I really need to figure out a damn school. Maybe I will mark off Boston College.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Kyuuei is right (again). Get an A.A. (Associate in Arts) or A.S. (Associates in Science) degree from a community college ANYWHERE. Why?

Because the 60 semester hours of credits you get in an AA or AS program apply to ANY 4-YEAR B.A. or B.S. degree (Business, Engineering, Biology, Psychology, etc.) so long as your AA/AS is from an accredited university.

So, you won't lose any of your first two years of college, no matter what. If you start out as a biology major and then change your major to management information systems (like I did) then you will lose lots of credit hours. :thumbdown:

Also, don't fuck around, take some math courses! Employers value quantitative skills in this job market. The most sought after undergraduates in the job market are S.T.E.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) majors. I heard this first hand from a very high ranking sales rep that works for Microsoft, and he is heavy into recruiting stats. :yes:

Fuck private schools. :thumbdown:

You're not a socially incapable elitist prick.

You're a man of the people, so go to a public university that has good programs in your field of interest, and get a great education for a reasonable price.

IMPORTANT LOOPHOLE regarding OUT-OF-STATE TUITION!!!
In Florida, you will NEVER get in-state tuition if you move here and enroll at a state university within one-year of getting your FL driver's license. Why do I know this? It happened to me. The registrars said this is a "protective measure" to protect Florida taxpayers for footing the bill for thousands of out of state college students wanting to come here to "study in the sun."

BUT - if you move here, get your driver's license, rent an apartment or get your name on a utility statement, etc., and work for a year (>365 days from your FL license issuance date) then you can enroll in ANY state university and pay onlt IN-STATE tuition.

Here's the difference:

Undergraduate Costs 2010-2011
Estimated costs cover two semesters
(15 hours per semester)

Florida Residents Non-Florida Residents
Tuition/Fees
$ 5,238................$ 19,682

On-Campus Housing

Food (Meal Plan)

Books/Supplies

SUBTOTAL
$ 15,418................$ 29,862

Health Insurance*

TOTAL
$ 16,833.................$ 31,277

* FSU has a mandatory health insurance policy for new students admitted to the University. Costs of meeting this requirement will be included in financial aid considerations. Students who currently have health insurance may show proof of comparable coverage and may not be required to purchase the University policy. Refer to Welcome to Thagard Student Health Center for additional information.

Good luck, Bro!

-Halla

bolded= That makes me even more motivated and proud to go to a Public University. I was trying to say that earlier, but it wasn't as clear as you put it. Halla gets it. :nice::nice:

And coincidentally, I am applying to Santa Fe. You should be familiar, halla? Not a CC anymore, but still. I'd probably do what most other students do and transfer to the U. But that's my second plan. My first plan in the U of Minnesota.

Antimony- It's cool, don't worry about the stereotyping thing. Truth is, you'll find a lot of people you don't like no matter what college you go to. But I think Halla's spot on with what he's saying.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Alright, that makes sense. A lot, actually.

I really need to figure out a damn school. Maybe I will mark off Boston College.

we're here to give you information, not influence your decisions. don't worry! you do what makes you happy and if you feel like saying "fuck you guys, I'll do what I want" then I respect that.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ah, you guys just make me question private schools, is all.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Don't get discouraged, get smart, aware, and confident. Take the information you're getting objectively. You're a P!

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Also Ne! I look at all the possibilities, which translates into paranoia!

Lol, this is your help thread, not mine. I will be fine :)