• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Master's in Applied Linguistics

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well guys, I've just gotten accepted to the University of Bochum's master's study program in Applied Linguistics.

I'm psyched.

Anyone else do something similar? What were your experiences?

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Congrats!

I started out doing my masters in Linguistics. Eventually I changed because I decided it was too technical; I wanted to do something more related to sociolinguistics. (Also, all the courses were during the day, and I had to crap up my work schedule to get to them.) But I still think linguistics is awesome and fascinating! Good luck to you!

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Congrats to you!

I'm finishing my master's in public administration, and I am now even more aware of how corrupt and complicated the world is, but I still want to make it a better place. :cheese:

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Congrats!

I started out doing my masters in Linguistics. Eventually I changed because I decided it was too technical; I wanted to do something more related to sociolinguistics. (Also, all the courses were during the day, and I had to crap up my work schedule to get to them.) But I still think linguistics is awesome and fascinating! Good luck to you!

OMG How cool, Aquarelle. Maybe you could tell me a bit more about it because in Germany, we incorporate all different elements of linguistics in one big batch and also combine the theory with language teaching, which is AWESOME. I'm so psyched - do you have any good literature to recommend?

Congrats to you!

I'm finishing my master's in public administration, and I am now even more aware of how corrupt and complicated the world is, but I still want to make it a better place. :cheese:

YAY!!!!!! How's that going for you???

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Awesome, congrats! :yay:

I am fascinated by linguistics. Can I ask what your career plan is after grad school? I'm super curious. In the past, I'd given thought to a MA in linguistics, but am not sure what I'd do with it.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
OMG How cool, Aquarelle. Maybe you could tell me a bit more about it because in Germany, we incorporate all different elements of linguistics in one big batch and also combine the theory with language teaching, which is AWESOME. I'm so psyched - do you have any good literature to recommend?

We do that in the US too; it all just depends on what the individual university decides to focus on. Here at the U of MN, the focus is really on the technical aspects of linguistics - studying syntax, phonology, semantics, etc. I'm interested in that stuff, but only to a certain point - I'd rather use it as a base to look at sociolinguistic issues. Sociolinguistics courses were elective and you could only take like 2, and language instruction is a completely different program.Also, my original plan was to go in to translation, but that's most likely not going to happen now. So I'm now doing a Masters of Liberal Studies, focusing on Language & Identity. I love it, and it's a much better fit.

As for literature, hmmm.... most of what I read is pretty specific to the issue of how language relates to identity. There's some good stuff, but I don't remember the exact titles... I have them written down and home though, and I'll try to remember to post them. :)

What aspect of linguistics are you most interested in, and what do you hope to do after completing the Masters?