• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Library Science, anyone?

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hi everybody-
I'm in the process of applying for library school, and I am wondering if there's any other library science folks on this board.

Where did you go to school? What are you doing now?

Hope to hear from you soon. :hi:

gromit

likes this
My dear friend just graduated with a degree in library science from a school in Boston. What makes you like this field?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I know someone who is going to school for library science in eastern Tennessee. It's something I also thought about at one point, being an English major and all.

Good luck with it!

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What makes you like this field?

You'd think I'd have an eloquent, concise answer for this, being that I am in the stage in the process where I'm stressing out over writing Statements of Purpose. :doh:

Short version: I like the idea of working with information, of helping people find what they need, and of ensuring access to information. Also, I love books, but I understand that there's more to library science than "I like books". :)

Several years ago, when I was in a phase of "I want to go to grad school, but I don't know what I want to study", I had two people recommend library science to me within the same day, including my old favorite professor. :huh: My first answer was, "Don't you think I'm too LOUD to be a librarian?", but now I understand that I'm not going to be spending my time shushing people. :happy2:

gromit

likes this
You'd think I'd have an eloquent, concise answer for this, being that I am in the stage in the process where I'm stressing out over writing Statements of Purpose. :doh:

:laugh:

Short version: I like the idea of working with information, of helping people find what they need, and of ensuring access to information. Also, I love books, but I understand that there's more to library science than "I like books". :)

Several years ago, when I was in a phase of "I want to go to grad school, but I don't know what I want to study", I had two people recommend library science to me within the same day, including my old favorite professor. :huh: My first answer was, "Don't you think I'm too LOUD to be a librarian?", but now I understand that I'm not going to be spending my time shushing people. :happy2:

Sounds great to me, especially the part about access to information for people. :D Good luck and I hope some real librarians/library science students post here too.

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:hi: Awesome, I'm so glad to have another librarian to talk to. Though, um, I'm not sure what to say. :blush: I know I should have questions, but I don't know what to ask. I'm in the process of applying to library school and kinda stuttering in writing my personal statement. I read somewhere that your statement of purpose is the hardest thing you'll ever write, and knowing that isn't making it any easier to write. :BangHead:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I have oft considered going back for a Masters in LS. That urge was recently rekindled. I worked on the 2010 census, and my crew had daily meetings in a branch library in Durham NC. I don't live in Durham, but I live close enough that I'm there pretty often. Still, I had never been to this branch before. Well, I just fell in love with it. It was the coziest library with the friendliest, most cohesive staff. A childrens' librarian who clearly actually loved and enjoyed children- the first day I was there, he was dressed as a pirate for their summer camp, and pirating it up all over the library, saying funny pirate things even to adults he passed in the stacks.

Despite all that plus its being a branch library, it was actually fairly huge. Probably almost as big as the main library in my town. I seriously have considered going in there and just begging them to give me a job despite not having the MLS yet.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:hi: Awesome, I'm so glad to have another librarian to talk to. Though, um, I'm not sure what to say. :blush: I know I should have questions, but I don't know what to ask. I'm in the process of applying to library school and kinda stuttering in writing my personal statement. I read somewhere that your statement of purpose is the hardest thing you'll ever write, and knowing that isn't making it any easier to write. :BangHead:

My statement of purpose wasn't anything spectacular but that didn't stop me from getting in. I suppose it also depends on other factors like your GRE scores and college grades as well as how selective the program is.

Bascially I wrote about how I loved helping others find information pertinent to their needs and promoting information literacy. I also mentioned about my love of learning and how as a librarian, I'm always learning new things.

Jules

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's a great occupation for IxtJ types, or at least it seems those are the types that thrive in the field. I have a strong P preference and it hasn't been an ideal career path for me, so I'm looking to use my skillset to expand into something a little less conventional, though certain technological aspects of library and information sciences can be quite cutting edge and there is always room for career growth.

Like paradigm-shift, I got into the field due to my love of information, as well as promoting literacy and the belief that the public should have free and equal access to information. Idealistic, yes. Put into practice, not so much.

I don't know where you live, and you would have to consult with sites that cater to current library trends, but special libraries seem to be the biggest employers of recent MLS grads. Those I know who work in public libraries tend to start off in part-time supporting positions but if you can manage to get hired on full-time, the salary is usually excellent, or at least competitive.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A friend of mine recently suggested this to me. She specifically said research librarian because of my love for learning and my talent for finding information. I have a special interest in medicine.
But Jules' comments have me concerned--I have a strong P preference as well. Am I looking in the wrong direction?

Rachel

MBTI Type
INFX
Enneagram
5w4
Glad to find this thread, i was about to post something about this. I was thinking this maybe the best career for me. I've been teaching and think i'll to transition into something else. I've always been good with research. Research librarian sounds like a great job opp.

What is it like to work in this field? Any one knows what the job prospects are like?

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What is it like to work in this field? Any one knows what the job prospects are like?

There are many different types of librarians and many sub-specialities so what its like to work as a librarian widely varies.

I can tell you what a typical workday for me is like. I work as a reference librarian in a large public library. The majority of my time is spent at the reference desk, helping people use the library's resources and finding information pertinent to their needs. There are alot of people wanting to use the library's computers so I help them with computer stuff. I also provide readers advisory services, which is recommending books for people to read based on their interests and tastes. I occasionally do storytimes when the youth services librarian is absent. I create and fill library displays. I compile booklists and website lists for specific topics. I evaluate the library's collection so we have up-to-date information that's relevant to the user's needs. I also periodically withdraw materials that are damaged, out of date, not circulating etc. I make suggestions for materials for the library to purchase. I don't get a final say in what the library purchases, though. My library has separate acquisitions staff who get to do that cool stuff. I also help the circulation staff when its busy. There's also mundane tasks, like helping the support staff with shelving when were behind and cleaning up the place.

Right now the job prospects aren't that great. But that could be said for a lot of fields right now. There seems to be a few more jobs now then there was a few months ago but still not that many. Alot of libraries are undergoing hiring freezes and some are doing layoffs. I'm hoping things start to pick up soon.

Rachel

MBTI Type
INFX
Enneagram
5w4
There are many different types of librarians and many sub-specialities so what its like to work as a librarian widely varies.

I can tell you what a typical workday for me is like. I work as a reference librarian in a large public library. The majority of my time is spent at the reference desk, helping people use the library's resources and finding information pertinent to their needs. There are alot of people wanting to use the library's computers so I help them with computer stuff. I also provide readers advisory services, which is recommending books for people to read based on their interests and tastes. I occasionally do storytimes when the youth services librarian is absent. I create and fill library displays. I compile booklists and website lists for specific topics. I evaluate the library's collection so we have up-to-date information that's relevant to the user's needs. I also periodically withdraw materials that are damaged, out of date, not circulating etc. I make suggestions for materials for the library to purchase. I don't get a final say in what the library purchases, though. My library has separate acquisitions staff who get to do that cool stuff. I also help the circulation staff when its busy. There's also mundane tasks, like helping the support staff with shelving when were behind and cleaning up the place.

Right now the job prospects aren't that great. But that could be said for a lot of fields right now. There seems to be a few more jobs now then there was a few months ago but still not that many. Alot of libraries are undergoing hiring freezes and some are doing layoffs. I'm hoping things start to pick up soon.

Thx for responding Paradigm. The job description sounds fine. I don't think i'd mind all the aspects you mention.