• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How many of you guys are actually going after a career bc its your dream?

Hellokittykitty

MBTI Type
INT*
Just curious to know how many people are even happy about what theyll do for a living for the rest of their lives.

Thanx ;)

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
Im content with what I do for a living, but I did wish I had done what I sort of dreamed about.

eagleseven

MBTI Type
INTJ
My dream job, once I (partially) realized it, was not what I had imagined.

---

My dream job is a fairy tale, and fairy tales don't pay the bills. I will not do one thing for the rest of my life (how boring), but rather do many things, some of which I will enjoy, some of which I will hate.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I went after my dream, and while I don't have the exact job I wanted, I do the same kind of work. I'm happy with it, but I'm not sure I'll stick with it forever...it's a hard road if you don't get exactly what you want.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm pursuing my current career because I think of it as the best way to realize my dreams.
I feel I'm on the right track, orthodox methods won't take you anywhere. Still in uni though.

Ming

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
Urrgh, I hate work. My dream job is a couch potato, with many servants serving me. :doh: Sadly, doesn't happen.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have to figure out what my dream is before I go after it. Meanwhile I'm on the career path I am... just because.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I hate being asked what my "dream job" would be. For one, I don't dream about jobs. For another, I hear a lot of stories with this theme:

My dream job, once I (partially) realized it, was not what I had imagined.

There's no way of knowing what a certain job will be like. People imagine and dream what it will be like, but you don't really know until you've worked it. And often you can't work it until you've already put in years of schooling and preparation, often voluntary work or internships to get experience, etc.

If you're considering a certain career, it's a good idea to talk to people who are working it about common misconceptions about it, unexpected aspects, and what a typical day of work is like. That can give you a accurate idea. Still though, you can't know how you'll feel working it, day after day, until you're doing it.

I really don't know what kind of career I should go for anymore.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Probably would have been an curious psychologist but want to be in the alternative health profession some day. instead I'm doing work that is driving me a bit fruity just without the fruit. in that respect i am getting there, the frame of reference to what i want to do has become clearer in recent times.

Hellokittykitty

MBTI Type
INT*
I think that it's interesting that a lot of us ENFPs will change jobs frequently. Why do you guys think that is?

Also what are your dream jobs and when did you realize it's what you wanted to do.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i want to be a self employed photographer. i was doing it for a studio and loved it but i recently moved so i haven't found another studio yet and not doing it on my own yet but i plan to and it will be all kinds of awesome. :)

Hellokittykitty

MBTI Type
INT*
i want to be a self employed photographer. i was doing it for a studio and loved it but i recently moved so i haven't found another studio yet and not doing it on my own yet but i plan to and it will be all kinds of awesome. :)

That's really cool girl! I feel like most people have a message. Mine is " fallow your dream"

I would suggest getting involved with something that has to do with photography asap! lol

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Considering that I have the habit of shooting myself in the foot any time I head a direction towards anything I like, don't think that's a possibility :doh:

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
My dream job is a fairy tale, and fairy tales don't pay the bills.

Yeah -- this is the same for me. I think that only a very, very few people have even a realistic possibility of actually establishing a "dream career". The less practical you are, the less likely that is to happen. There are only so many astronauts, movie stars, and world-renowned artists out there, after all. And all of those are actually achievable by *somebody*. Other dreams are even less likely.

Then there's also the realization that career dreams focus on the "fun" parts of the job. I'd venture to say that most of almost any job isn't like that. People dream of being astronauts to fly into space... not for obtrusive medical probe devices, years of memorizing protocol and living off of a checklist. Practicality can sour almost anything.

I think that the important thing is to not count on your career to bring happiness.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Awwww! How so?

got engaged and put off going to grad school across the country for too long... and then that didn't work out either :doh:

have a tendancy to tell ex bosses where to put it while quitting :ninja:

impulsively give bad guy a chase, breaking kneecap and getting booted from police training...

turn down second offer at grad school because of being depressed about getting booted from police training :blush:

yeah... I'm an idiot... I screw myself over whenever I get the opportunity to do so! :cheese:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's really cool girl! I feel like most people have a message. Mine is " fallow your dream"

I would suggest getting involved with something that has to do with photography asap! lol
thanks! i found a super badass photography meetup group so hopefully it will help get me there too. :)

and yep i agree ya gotta find your passion and make it work for you. :)

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I didn't take my job because it's a dream job. I took it to make an even larger dream come true. To make a goal of one of my life goals come true. So I don't consider my job a dream job. I consider it the path to my even greater dream.