• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Anthropology

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I cant seem to get to photography school and i want to study a new profession. Anthropology seems like interesting career(atleast based on little that i know about it) and maybe i could combine photography with it, but i dont have much idea what kind of jobs do anthropologies usually have, what kind of subjects do the education have(note that im not going to a american university system) and basically any kind of information about the profession would be appreciated.

maybe someone in the forums is anthropologist or maybe someone knows other people who are anthropologists and could give me some insight about the profession

chooi

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4/9
I'm an anthropology and communications (media production) major. Anthropology is similar to English in that it is an "open-ended" subject and has many applications. Plus, since it's the study of humans, there are more specific categories of anthropology. If you can think it, there's probably an anthropology for or of it. There's philosophical anthropology, anthropology of biology, psychiatric anthropology, ecological anthropology, and so on and so forth forever.

Personally, I want to go into documentary filmmaking. I'd say that's aso pretty relevant to you and could be a possible area of interest since you are into photography.

As far as being an "anthropologist" (in the traditional sense of the word) goes it's pretty much the same as it is for any academic/research field (physicist, biologist, zoologist, etc). You better be prepared to do A LOT of studying, be good at your craft, and be able to bring in some grant money. Also, many anthropological studies (archaeological digs, ethnographies, and so forth) tend to take years upon years. Many anthropologists devote their entire lives to certain peoples or areas of interest.

Here's some career info via the american anthropological association.
Careers in Anthropology

Mole

Permabanned
maybe someone in the forums is anthropologist or maybe someone knows other people who are anthropologists and could give me some insight about the profession

Derek Freeman, the great Australian anthropologist lived just around the corner from me. And he showed conclusively that the American anthropologist, Margaret Mead, perpetrated a global fraud in her book, "Coming of Age in Somoa".

I met Margaret Mead in Kings Cross, Sydney, Australia and she was wearing a long cloak of feathers with a head-dress and a long wooden staff. I listened to her but could immediately see Margaret was a concupiscent fraud.

And with immense American confidence Margaret was perpetuating the New Age fraud.

And when she suggested we might get to know each other in the biblical sense, I politely declined as I didn't want to join the long list of others who knew her.

chooi

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4/9
Astounding and helpful insight as usual, Victor. Margaret Mead WOULD be one to predict the fraud of the New Age movement before it even reached full steam. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you exactly?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
there are four fields of anthropology--

Biology- the study and comparison of physical remains of people and sometimes animals. Forensics Anthropology is a sub-category (lots of bone measuring :X)
Archaeology- Might be the best for photography. Study, analysis, comparison of tools, objects, and physical impacts left behind or being left behind by people.
Linguistics- Study, analysis, and comparison of languages, their origins, similarities, and meanings. Most boring of the four branches, imo. don't go into this field.
Socio-Cultural- The most abstract and conceptual of the branches. Also the most interesting in my opinion. The general of study of cultures (past + present), relations, diffusions, impacts, cause-effect stuff, migrations, trends. This branch really reaches deep into a scientist-consciousness.

Anthropology is incredibly broad and has a little bit of everything in it. I'd HIGHLY recommend it, INTP, and I think you should definitely make photography apart of it. Because that's what you love. Hope this helps a little bit..it's pretty general.

Mole

Permabanned
Astounding and helpful insight as usual, Victor. Margaret Mead WOULD be one to predict the fraud of the New Age movement before it even reached full steam. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you exactly?

Just the other day my doctor told me I could live another twenty years, so I wonder, can you cope with the Loyal Opposition for another twenty years?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Victor, you remind me SO much of Glen Bateman from Stephen King's The Stand.

chooi

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4/9
Just the other day my doctor told me I could live another twenty years, so I wonder, can you cope with the Loyal Opposition for another twenty years?

Haha, of course; I got time to kill. They say iron sharpens iron. Can you keep from getting rusty?

chooi

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4/9
Onewithsoul, be ye a student of the anthropological sciences?

chooi

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4/9
Ahh, well, education doesn't have to be formal.

As for you, Victor:

[YOUTUBE=MPfxtJ8SQgk]I WILL HAVE YOU![/YOUTUBE]

Mole

Permabanned
As for you, Victor:

[YOUTUBE=MPfxtJ8SQgk]I WILL HAVE YOU![/YOUTUBE]

Ah, here we are driving forward looking in the rear vision mirror, while the noosphere rushes towards us through the windscreen.

G

Glycerine

I cant seem to get to photography school and i want to study a new profession. Anthropology seems like interesting career(atleast based on little that i know about it) and maybe i could combine photography with it, but i dont have much idea what kind of jobs do anthropologies usually have, what kind of subjects do the education have(note that im not going to a american university system) and basically any kind of information about the profession would be appreciated.

INTP, I am like 90% sure my anthropology professor is INTP. He told me NOT to go into anthropology unless you're REALLY passionate about it. This is because to get anywhere in anthropology you should plan for grad school and potentially a PhD program. So pretty much he told me that if you have doubts about anthropology don't go into the field. Supposedly, it's a very specific field so unless you are planning to go all the way, it's best to major/minor in something along else with anthropology.

Also, there are 4 branches of Anthropology.
1. Physical/biological anthropology (usually w/ a hint of evolutionary thinking). I think Primatology is also a subbranch of this.
2. Archaeology-
3. Linguistics- supposedly a dying field
4. Cultural Anthropology

My teacher kept telling us that if anyone wants to go into social sciences, they should get a minor in Statistics because it will put you ahead of most of your classmates in grad school since you have to analyze a lot of data in the future.

All of this is secondhand information from the perspective of someone who has been in the field for over 10 years (after schooling). I asked him because I was debating between going into Psychology or Anthropology.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I recently discovered evolutionary psychology/anthropology and I fell in love with it. It's the exact framework I've always used to think about or intuit things in my life and those of loved ones; to figure out why we are the way we are. I already have a master'd degree in something else (not too far off anthropology actually), but if I could go back to school full time, and had no children, I'd pursue my PhD in evolutionary anthropology and focus on maternal/child attachment and human relationships as it regards multiple relating. But I have read that if you don't pursue a PhD, there really is no point, because it's all about the research. Or you could become a therapist on top of majoring in anthropology.

G

Glycerine

I recently discovered evolutionary psychology/anthropology and I fell in love with it. It's the exact framework I've always used to think about or intuit things in my life and those of loved ones; to figure out why we are the way we are. I already have a master'd degree in something else (not too far off anthropology actually), but if I could go back to school full time, and had no children, I'd pursue my PhD in evolutionary anthropology and focus on maternal/child attachment and human relationships as it regards multiple relating. But I have read that if you don't pursue a PhD, there really is no point, because it's all about the research. Or you could become a therapist on top of majoring in anthropology.
OHHH OOHH! You should totally read the Red Queen by Matt Ridley, The Blank Slate by Steven Pinker, and Mothers and Others by Sarah Hrdy (I bet you will LOVE this book). :D

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
OHHH OOHH! You should totally read the Red Queen by Matt Ridley, The Blank Slate by Steven Pinker, and Mothers and Others by Sarah Hrdy (I bet you will LOVE this book). :D

Okay. Thanks! Interesting. I am reading a book by Susan Pinker right now......odd.

MafiaAngel180

MBTI Type
ENFP
I'm a cultural anthro major. You could take amazing photos that capture different walks of life. :D