• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Applauding in class

Beorn

Permabanned
Does anyone else applaud their professors at the end of a course of instruction?

Amphion

MBTI Type
ENTP
Maybe at the end of a breakout session at a professional conference if it was really good.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Does anyone else applaud their professors at the end of a course of instruction?

If the professor actively tries to make the material interesting, or is able to hold our attention, you bet! Everyone's grateful for that.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If warranted, absolutely. :yes:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
no... I might as well paint "brown nose" on my forehead :shock:

If a professor ran a very good class that left me thinking, I'll hunt them down after class and chat with them- I actually ended up befriending one professor because of this :laugh: He ran awesome classes on fascinating topics! :holy:

Of course I took social science classes that were heavily discussion based as opposed to lecture based, so that may have something to do with it :)

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah, at the end of most lectures we give a (short) round of applause. It's just a nice way to say thanks to the lecturer I think. Since for many of my courses we have different lecturers each week, I find it's better to applaud after each lecture than at the end of the entire course. It's the same as thanking the person who's served you in a shop or whatever - polite.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yep, though we knock at the tables with out knuckles ;) (I guess that custom comes from the fact that you're supposedly still busy writing with the other hand so you don't have both hands to applaud).
Same applies to fellow students after presentations. I think it's always a nice gesture :)

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
If the lecture deserves it. For sure.

Also, at the end of the last lecture of the term.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't think I've applauded at the end of a class before, though I clap during class sometimes, even though no one else is. Perhaps the applause is just a university thing, things are so casual at my school that is would look pretty silly.... I should totally try it ;)

eagleseven

MBTI Type
INTJ
For a guest speaker, absolutely.

For the paid regular lecturer of a course, no. I will approach him or her afterwords and express my appreciation, if warranted, but this is rare.

Beorn

Permabanned
I should of asked what level of school and in what country each of you are. The fact that many of you refer to classes as lectures makes me think you're from outside the states, but I suppose I could be wrong.

I'm a law student in the states. Today and yesterday were the last days of class. We applauded at the end of every class... the end of a year of constitutional law seemed particularly momentous. I believe there was one class last year that we did not applaud in... he was a really horrible prof.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've already graduated... and I'm in the US. Went to a major university as a matter of fact! :holy:

I would have happily thrown something at my Con Law prof on the last day of class... what a prick :thelook:

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Mechanical engineering in the united states. Mostly small class sizes, (30-40 students?) physics was a big class 100?, analysis of mechanical components was a pretty large class. Never even thought or considered applauding. Not surprising that lawyers would go for melodrama.

Beorn

Permabanned
Not surprising that lawyers would go for melodrama.

heh. I think we picked it up from the paper chase. You can catch just the last few seconds of the applause at the beginning of this clip.

[YOUTUBE="30-hBjxgEK8"]paper chase[/YOUTUBE]

G

Glycerine

Other than presentations, no way. I might add what a great teacher they are in s thank you card if they help me w/ something though.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
I do all the time in the middle of class.

Sure it's mockingly, but considering the instructors I have, that's pretty much normal for the school.

Per a quote from one of the 7th quarter students... "If I had a quarter for every time an instructor threatened to kill me, I'd have paid off my tuition by now"

It is a strange place, but quite fun and the learning pace is excellent.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
are all of you guys from Europe or something? its not like the prof's are volunteers...do you applaud your waiter? :D

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, I once applauded my American History prof after he gave a brilliant rendition of a historical political speech.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Mechanical engineering in the united states. Mostly small class sizes, (30-40 students?) physics was a big class 100?, analysis of mechanical components was a pretty large class. Never even thought or considered applauding. Not surprising that lawyers would go for melodrama.

Ha ha! My American History prof was an adjunct...his real job is being a corporate lawyer.