• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Applauding in class

MBTI Type
INTJ
This is the first time I've even heard that such a thing happens. So I guess that means no, I've never done it. :D

eagleseven

MBTI Type
INTJ
I should of asked what level of school and in what country each of you are. The fact that many of you refer to classes as lectures makes me think you're from outside the states, but I suppose I could be wrong.

I'm a law student in the states. Today and yesterday were the last days of class. We applauded at the end of every class... the end of a year of constitutional law seemed particularly momentous. I believe there was one class last year that we did not applaud in... he was a really horrible prof.
I am (almost done) attending a university on the east coast (of the US), and we call our classes lectures. I suppose this is because, in addition to lecture, we also have recitation, workshop, and lab.

All of which are part of one class.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
For the paid regular lecturer of a course, no. I will approach him or her afterwords and express my appreciation, if warranted, but this is rare.

this. and the thing about brown nosing also...be very careful if that's not the message you're trying to send.

of course, relative to where you are and what class, this post could be completely useless BS.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If you mean at the conclusion of the total course, the last class of all classes with that teacher/professor:

(In U.S. undergraduate university in any of the 4 years)

Yes, I've felt the desire to do it at the end of the term with a professor and class I've enjoyed. Some classes just felt great (we students liked each other, liked being there, and liked the professor, who liked working with us), and on top of that, you have that sense of accomplishment that comes with the end of learning a whole new branch of study.

So if we all feel it, as a class, on a few occasions we've applauded, for the professor and for ourselves.

P

Phantonym

Does anyone else applaud their professors at the end of a course of instruction?

A round of applause has taken place on rare occasions at the end of the very last lectures of the semester. And only for the professors that really stand out. Other than that, there's mostly nothing.

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
I remember in university, a bunch of jerks known to the prof mockingly applauded him for a nothing special lecture. A large number of the class unwittingly followed suit. Thinking that he was being mocked, the prof refused to do any more lectures.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Yes, I'm from Europe (Ireland actually). Irish people in general also thank bus drivers when getting off at the stop, which many other nationalities have commented on as being odd.... As for lectures, some of mine are in theatres as big as 250 people, so applauding the lecturer is easier than going down to the prof at the end of the lecture due to the amount of people trying to get out of the room :tongue:. For one of my english classes this year I had a different speaker practically every week so we definitely applauded at the end of each of those lectures. We tend to applaud most lectures anyway though (except one particularly dull one about font type). *shrug*

Little Laura

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Two
I am from Canada and did my undergrad in geography at a smaller university. I have never applauded a lecture, unless of course we had a guest speaker or presentations. I have never heard of any of my friends doing this either.

F

figsfiggyfigs

^ same as Little Laura

I think that would be super weird, and uncomfortable.

for some reason, I imagine a scene out of arrested development when everyone is yelling " speech" for no reason... but with clapping...

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxhuk-Xrsmg"]SPEECH[/YOUTUBE]

...I wish there was a full clip of this.. xD

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
are all of you guys from Europe or something? its not like the prof's are volunteers...do you applaud your waiter? :D

My friends and I applauded a waiter at our local Irish Pub when he gave us a one-litre bottle of Jameson Whiskey in the last St. Patrick´s Day, in which they are not allowed to sell bottles, only glasses (of about 7 fl.oz.). So, the applause was more than deserved.

Also, when we are in a bar celebrating the birthday of one of us, and the bar gives us a free glass of something, we also applaud.

By the way, I am from something named Montevideo, Uruguay.