• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Speaking in Tongues: What Language Should Brendan Study?

What language should Brendan study?

• Total voters

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I studied Spanish for 4 years and have am at an intermediate level, however I haven't taken a course in Spanish in 4 years and I am quite rusty. I've been thinking lately about taking either Chinese or Hindi during my career at ASU, and I'm not sure which I should go with.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
you're going to ARIZONA and not taking spanish?!?! :horor:

Spanish will be more useful at home... and will continue to be so in the future! :)

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Well my thinking is that my future customers will speak Spanish, but my future boss may speak Hindi or Chinese.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I'd go for Chinese. I speak spanish and hate it so much. Should have taken French instead.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I would severally encourage you to brush up on your Spanish if you're going to Arizona, especially if it's near the border. When I lived near the border in Texas, it became difficult for me to find jobs because you HAVE to know Spanish. I don't know if that would be different from where you'll be at, but that's just some advice. Either way, Spanish is a very good language to know right now in our country.

But if there was another option, I'd go with Chinese :D.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Spanish would be the most practical, living here in the U.S. if you don't plan on moving to/frequently visiting China and/or India.

eagleseven

MBTI Type
INTJ
Mandarin Chinese, if you intend to join a multinational corporation.

Spanish, if you intend to stay in the Americas.

---

I have a background in Spanish, like you, but intend to learn Chinese in the near future.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
More opportunities to practice spanish out loud, imo, than any of the other languages.

Little Laura

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Two
I find Spanish a much easier language to learn.
I studied Chinese before going to travel overseas and it was one of the most difficult things I have ever done. I learned Chinese from a lady who was from Shanghai and then went to rural NW Yunnan. Yeah. Although the characters are the same, there are so many different dialects in the country. No one understood anything I said - I was a Canadian girl trying to speak with a Shanghai accent apparently. They put the character subtitles on pretty much all of the television programming there for that reason, so everyone can follow along, because the characters for the words are always the same. And even my Chinese friend, who was born and raised in NW Yunnan, travelled with me to Southern Yunnan and had difficulty communicating with the locals.

Therefore, I vote Chinese, simply because I feel it is more difficult to learn on your own and you'd benefit from having a real teacher. It would be much easier for you to brush up on your Spanish on your own.