• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Balancing work and play?

musttry

MBTI Type
INFJ
Trunk says that for people with careers, "work/life balance" is a myth. You are always on the job, even at 2am in the morning. People with jobs (not careers) are probably not in a position to worry about it... Tough question in this economy, is anyone in a position to worry about it?

I agree with this. I think that for career people it comes with experience. Even the staunchest ISTJ I know can't control her schedule as she wishes because the business we're in doesn't allow it. However, coworkers with, let's say, 8 years of experience and up usually have the capacity to do their work efficiently and plan ahead. I only have three years so I'm still in the one or the other phase, although I am getting better at it.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Yeah, I'd like to know, there are so many hobbies I would like to pursue but where's the time?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I tend to do a reward system for myself a lot.. "I can play my game if I x first!" When it comes to studying, I play between paragraphs.. Read an article after I read a page of study text, rinse, repeat. It takes me wicked long to study this way, but I don't feel overwhelmed at all either.

Normally though, I do a pretty good job of balancing everything. I play a lot, but I work a lot. I don't feel overwhelmed normally.. every so often I have days where the work was too much too fast for me.. or days where I feel like there's nothing that can be done even though I wish to be productive. But I'd claim myself fairly balanced.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Does anyone have any tips on how to do this effectively? I seem to be all work or all play, no in between or balance. I go stretches of time where all I'm doing is working, working, working and being all serious business and stuff and I don't get any playtime. Of course, I feel burned out after this and can't wait until I get some free time, and then when I do, I fully immerse myself into fun things and forget all about work until I'm like "Holy crap, I'm so behind on work! Time to rush to catch up!" This is not good. I just want to learn how to balance the two like a normal person does! Any advice would be appreciated.

I realize this sounds simplistic but, you make time for it just like anything else that's important to you. It's more about time management than not enjoying or enjoying play time.

F

figsfiggyfigs

My favorite sweater says " all play no work"

I got it cause I am a solid believer in " all work............... then play"

I thought it was funny... My sense of humour is lame. lol

I don't have plausible suggestions for balancing the two. I have a hard time prioritizing when work is involved. I'm a workaholic-- completely obsessed.

Luckily I'm in school right now, and can't work on a student visa ><