• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Language Information

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am in a German class right now, trying to make myself less ignorant one word at a time, and am having a terrible time figuring out what to study, how to study, etc. I am learning pretty well from the online site for my course, but I find I can't use much of it in everyday life.

I am really interested in languages and would really like the input of fellow typeCers, even if only for some random interesting things from other languages.

So for those who speak German, or any language (besides English. Unless you have a really cool English word.) could you provide me with some interesting/necessary words/phrases from your language? Or whatever you feel like giving me-I am not picky :)

[as I typed this, I imagined entropie giving me an interesting/deemed necessary phrase concerning beer]

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The best way to learn a language is in the following way:

a) active practice, preferably in a country that speaks the language
b) learning in a fun way or in a way conducive to your learning style
c) passively acquire new words through reading and listening to the language

Well, it goes according to the BACA principle: learn, practice, acquire new things, practice, learn, practice, acquire new things, practice. Like building a house.

I have also learned German and teach EFL.

If you mean specific terms, ask away! :D

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That is what I have been attempting to do...it worked pretty well with French :)

Unfortunately, I live nowhere near anywhere that has German as a language...or even people who speak it. My favorite way to practice is with a friend who speaks German, and talking/yelling in German and scaring people :D:D

As for the third thing...I actually haven't listened or read anything with much German. I should do that! That is a good idea! Thanks!

Terms? I have no idea. I am just trying to learn as much as possible...I am considering doing a job that requires me speaking multiple languages, so it is important I have a good understanding. I may use this thread for notes, as well.

*pats self on back*

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Stuff you can do:

- Watching German TV shows. I watched a lot of English cartoons when I was a teenager. I think it's a pretty good idea beacuse it's more idiomatic English (also a bonus for conversational skills) and b) since cartoons are mostly geared towards a younger audience, it's not that difficult to understand.

- Sign up at some German forum! Not thinking of a language forum per se, but any forum that seems interesting to you. It can definitely help your writing skills.

- Find someone to chat / phone with.

That's all I can think about for now. Enjoy :)

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't want to speak in a language until I am a little more proficient at it...I would be embarrassed around the Germans :(

D

Dali

I've also been meaning to learn German for ages... my main motivation is pretty... how do you say... impractical? I hope to gain a greater understanding of and derive greater enjoyment from German opera (e.g. Wagner, Strauss, Mozart... etc). I kind of lost the fire for a bit but I hope to get back on that wagon sometime this year.

I'll share with you some advice that I was given. Practise, practise, practise... speak the words aloud as you read you them. You use x-fold more brain neurons when you speak the words and phrases aloud (rather than under your breath) and that helps to better 'entrench' them in your mind.

Lots of luck.

D

Dali

p.s. Wow, I totally understood the title of your blog. :D Glad I havent lost the little bit I had taught myself.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Wir können gerne üben. Meine Grammatik ist auch nicht perfekt, aber es geht. :)

Ich denke es ist sinnvoller, wenn man Wörter nicht einzeln lernt. Man muss schon verstehen, wie es im Zusammenhang passt. :D

Was meinst du?

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ich glaube, Sie sind erstaunlich und müssen immer eingeben!

^nicht gute

D

Dali

MOAR.jpg

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Haha, nein, nein!

STAY! I like your cute pictures :)

ZiL

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
567?
Keep a journal if you can find someone to edit it. My German abilities improved rapidly once I had to write in German in class all the time. Start, of course, with your own ability, things that you know, so that the words and the grammar patterns will calcify in your mind. I was amazed how much it helped my conversational abilities.

ZiL

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
567?
And like LittleLinguist said, I'm sure some of us who are in the process of learning or expanding our abilities would love to practice with you.

Ich wuerde gern auch ueben! ...besonders im Sommer, wenn ich viele freie Zeit habe.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ich habe nie Freizeit!

(Das wird sehr lustig)

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Entschuldigung, riecht das für Sie wie Chloroform?