• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is this overkill?

G

Glycerine

I am planning to major in psychology and minor in math, more specifically statistics (a bit unusual for an ENFJ, lol)? Supposedly most people in the social sciences SUCK at math and it would give me a great advantage in the job market according to my teacher. Has anyone majored/minored in statistics?

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
Well, psychology is an easy major so... you will be fine.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You have to take stats for a psych major anyways... :newwink:

I have a specialization in social science stats and data interpretation in two different departments- I thought that it was fun :)

BlueFlame

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
I am planning to major in psychology and minor in math, more specifically statistics (a bit unusual for an ENFJ, lol)? Supposedly most people in the social sciences SUCK at math and it would give me a great advantage in the job market according to my teacher. Has anyone majored/minored in statistics?

Never have I even considered minoring/majoring in math. Get thee behind me!

The job market for what, might I ask?

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I have friends who have taken psychology, and one is actually a licenced psychologist (in organizational psych). Most of them have bemoaned the fact that they didn't know enough maths for the subject especially when involved in research. Depending on the sort of psychology you're interested in, statistics would likely give you a big advantage. Then again if you dislike maths you can probably get away with it and take another preferable major.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

as I'm sure you've already heard, "psych majors are a dime a dozen" the extra math will help separate you form the rest of the crowd, and give you a better shot at grad school if you wanna go that route. I took a stat class [for math and technical majors] in undergrad, and most of my classmates did NOT seem like math/science/engineer types as I recall. Some did, but not most.

Stats is really useful though, in terms of desirement by employers

BlueFlame

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
for social scientist, specifically psychologists.
Ah, well, if nothing else, it'll help you in your potential PhD program! It seems like psych majors eat everything up except those blasted research methods and stat classes...

Anyway, it will definitely give you a different edge when it comes to grad schoo and be a big help if you end up going into research!

G

Glycerine

I have friends who have taken psychology, and one is actually a licenced psychologist (in organizational psych). Most of them have bemoaned the fact that they didn't know enough maths for the subject especially when involved in research. Depending on the sort of psychology you're interested in, statistics would likely give you a big advantage. Then again if you dislike maths you can probably get away with it and take another preferable major.

lol, thank you. I love math. It's pretty easy for me.

G

Glycerine

as I'm sure you've already heard, "psych majors are a dime a dozen" the extra math will help separate you form the rest of the crowd, and give you a better shot at grad school if you wanna go that route. I took a stat class [for math and technical majors] in undergrad, and most of my classmates did NOT seem like math/science/engineer types as I recall. Some did, but not most.

Stats is really useful though, in terms of desirement by employers

aww shucks, "dime a dozen". Oh well, that's life.