• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

English Majors and Type

What's your type, English Major?

• ENFJ

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • INFJ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ENFP

• INFP

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • ENTJ

• INTJ

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • ENTP

• INTP

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • ESTJ

• INTJ

• ESTP

• ISTP

• ESFJ

• ISFJ

• ESFP

• ISFP

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sarcasticus

Circus Maximus
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Simple. I'm curious: if you're an English Major (BA/MA/Phd), what's your type?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
ENFP

Currently taking a break from 3 1/2 years of being an English major, but literature has been my favorite subject since high school.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My ENFJ sis is an english/creative writing major... she shall eventually graduate! :)

I voted for her here

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INtP.

But I was a math major for two years prior.
Now I work in computers.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INtP.

Now I work in computer tech.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INtP.

Now I work in computer tech.

inferior temptation pulled you off track??? I went from business to science, and I'll probably end up in business after all :D

LEGERdeMAIN

I was some sort of English - Prof. Writing major until I had a stroke. I claim to be an xSTP but I don't believe me.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I majored in English, but not the silly English literature stuff that gave me stomach aches and made me question my emotional affect. Actually my affect was to retch, but whateves. I wrote a poem about poetry inducing a bulimic state within me, but that was a little joke between the professor and I.

Language, Writing and Rhetoric!! :yay:

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Your poll has INTJ twice. Your likely unintentional neglect for ISTJs makes my heart a tad warmer :blush:.

I'm not an English major, but i do know an INTP and ISTJ who are.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I concluded that I would NOT add English to my majors list after getting asked to leave the class once after informing a professor that her favorite short story was "completely and utterly pointless and I feel like I just wasted an hour which I could have spent doing something more entertaining- like watching my toenails grow"

I did not know that it was her favorite story, but decided that if that's the sort of department you can get in trouble in for sharing your opinion, I did not belong there :doh:

That and the fact that every different class seemed to want for me to use a different method of citation- I was used to MLA from my other classes and objected to having to clutter my head with the 30 other citation styles available too :steam:

If the department hadn't been so picky, I'd probably have an english major! :laugh:

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I concluded that I would NOT add English to my majors list after getting asked to leave the class once after informing a professor that her favorite short story was "completely and utterly pointless and I feel like I just wasted an hour which I could have spent doing something more entertaining- like watching my toenails grow"

I did not know that it was her favorite story, but decided that if that's the sort of department you can get in trouble in for sharing your opinion, I did not belong there :doh:

That and the fact that every different class seemed to want for me to use a different method of citation- I was used to MLA from my other classes and objected to having to clutter my head with the 30 other citation styles available too :steam:

If the department hadn't been so picky, I'd probably have an english major! :laugh:

When I teach lit, I try not to ever take stuff like that personally, and I don't expect people to like everything I like, but it's possible that she heard your comment as a direct challenge to her, since she was the one that picked it for you to read. It's sometimes hard to tell with students. :smile:

Most English departments do use MLA, since it's kind of the standard for English journals, but I have seen a few use Chicago.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
we were asked to use APA on a few papers... SATAN invented APA! :boohoo:

My thoughts on the matter were- if she asked us our opinions on the story and I was the only one in the class who'd even bothered READING it, she should take pleasure in my honesty! :cheese:

the story was Flaubert's "A Simple Heart"

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Other than art or cooking, English is the last subject I would want to major in. From the little that I know about the subject, I am having a difficult time understanding how anyone who is interested in understanding reality could do work in 'academic English' without any great discomfort. Too often the Postmodernist dogma reigns and many ideas are reduced to 'interpretations' or 'perspective' as a result. I keep getting the impression that the whole discipline promotes the belief that what truly matters is understanding a person's viewpoint, his biases and personal opinions rather than the essence of the studied ideas. I understand that they'd retort that it is important for people to acknowledge their bias and not mistake their arbitrary opinions for facts or that complete objectivity is impossible. However, I do not see this as a sufficient excuse to ignore the pursuit of truth altogether. I am not claiming that this is what every savant of English believes, but it seems to me that many do, possibly even an average professional in the field does. That is unsurprising to me as the discipline is first and foremost an art. Just as artists can't be expected to be deeply interested in understanding the world, the literature enthusiasts should not be expected to do so either.

I'd love to have someone on the forum post a plausible argument in an attempt to refute my conclusion. For a long time I've been looking for a reason to treat this discipline with some measure of intellectual respect, yet my endeavor has been futile thus far.

LEGERdeMAIN

Other than art or cooking, English is the last subject I would want to major in. From the little that I know about the subject, I am having a difficult time understanding how anyone who is interested in understanding reality could do work in 'academic English' without any great discomfort. Too often the Postmodernist dogma reigns and many ideas are reduced to 'interpretations' or 'perspective' as a result. I keep getting the impression that the whole discipline promotes the belief that what truly matters is understanding a person's viewpoint, his biases and personal opinions rather than the essence of the studied ideas. I understand that they'd retort that it is important for people to acknowledge their bias and not mistake their arbitrary opinions for facts or that complete objectivity is impossible. However, I do not see this as a sufficient excuse to ignore the pursuit of truth altogether. I am not claiming that this is what every savant of English believes, but it seems to me that many do, possibly even an average professional in the field does. That is unsurprising to me as the discipline is first and foremost an art. Just as artists can't be expected to be deeply interested in understanding the world, the literature enthusiasts should not be expected to do so either.

I'd love to have someone on the forum post a plausible argument in an attempt to refute my conclusion. For a long time I've been looking for a reason to treat this discipline with some measure of intellectual respect, yet my endeavor has been futile thus far.

There is no mystical "essence" and you're not a Greek philosopher.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
INTP and I'm a first year in English & creative writing. Currently thinking of switching to just doing English, because I'm not enjoying the creative writing aspect as I thought I would. It's too emotional and personal for my liking. I'm enjoying the linguistic and literature side, however. In order to understand historical context in a particular era, I would sooner look into the art and literature for a more accurate, fuller picture than you would from reading a history book. Literary theory is a little dry, but I'm fairly solid in my 2:1 in it. Not a brilliant grade, obviously, but not bad for a first year and being completely new to it?

I'm studying it in hope of going into the publishing industries, preferably as an editor. One can dream.