• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is the British academia so snob?

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well, if you ask me, the last thing we need strolling through the hallow'd cloisters of Oxbridge are a bunch of oiks with a BA in Scribbling from some trumped-up market town "university"; or Johnny Foreigners with "revolutionary" ideas, claiming to be the best thing since Jean-Paul Sartre's last bunk-up. Or fry-up. (I prefer the latter).

Good day to you, sir.

ME-OW!

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's not a question about history. Oldest institutions aren't necessarily the best: Take for instance the Sorbonne, founded in 1253.
Yes, the courses are taught in illustrious buildings, some are even genuine Gothic halls. But the quality is not that great, only average.

Anyway, the best universities in the world have been founded during the 19th century, and most of them are American, not British.
If I could have the choice to join either Cambridge, Oxford or the MIT, I would choose the MIT: it's a no-brainer for me.

While I won't argue with you on quality of programs, but there's an attitude and an image that comes with being around for so long. I personally would rather the places that wanted to be included since they'd put more effort into it and be a more reliable partner in the long run. MIT sounds neat, but there's enough in my own country for me to choose from.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Gloria Allelujah!

Hosannah Hosannah!

The University College of London seems to have answered positively!

It seems that they would have lost our first e-mail somewhere inside the limbo of the world wide web, but when we contacted one of our esteemed colleague on the phone, this one looked positively interested, even if he has to check with his institution and dean if they could afford to accomodate a few Japanese and Korean PhD candidates, since they have their own rival exchange programs with India.

We shall see. At least it seems we have managed to create some attention!

God bless the Queen!

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I rest my case... UCL is good but not legendary, significantly easier to get them on board.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I rest my case... UCL is good but not legendary, significantly easier to get them on board.

I don't care. Just obtaining a single positive answer is enough to make Blackmail happy! :D

And as a matter of fact, our British colleague in the UCL also gives lectures in Cambridge. But nonetheless he considers his UCL laboratory to be far better, considering our common field of knowledge (landscape & urbanism). And I trust his opinion. :cool:

---

Plus the UCL has more or less the same political culture than us: despite its elitism, it's a secular institution which is not obsessed with social classes or ethnic background.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't care. Just obtaining a single positive answer is enough to make Blackmail happy! :D

And as a matter of fact, our British colleague in the UCL also gives lectures in Cambridge. But nonetheless he considers his UCL laboratory to be far better, considering our common field of knowledge (landscape & urbanism). And I trust his opinion. :cool:

---

Plus the UCL has more or less the same political culture than us: despite its elitism, it's a secular institution which is not obsessed with social classes or ethnic background.

Youre daft, almost any of the non-top 3 or 4 Uni's would bite your hand off. Still you got there in the end.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Eh, it tends to be easier to talk a brother/cousin/friend into helping build a shed than it is to argue grandpa into putting his damn hearing aid in before you can even bother asking.