• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I have a dream, but not sure how to make it reality

Munchies

MBTI Type
XNXP
Enneagram
OMG
Instinctual Variant
sx
My dream is to one day own my own company which sells my own inventions and improved version of other products. But the thing is i don't know which path i should take to get myself there

Besides my dream, i want to be some sort of business man raking in a lot of money to make this dream happen, and at the same time get the experience i need to run my own company.

SO any thoughts or plans on what kind of business man i should be or what path i should take for school would be greatly appreciated.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm 34 and I have a similar dream. I don't know how good my advice is, because I haven't achieved it yet, but I feel like I am a lot closer to getting it now than I was 10+ years ago.

I think the first thing is to really get to know yourself and what you want out of life. Do you just want to run a business for the sake of running a business or is there something more important underneath. For me I know that I love challenges and collaborating with other people. That is why I want to own a business. I also know that I love to entertain people, so my business will end up being in entertainment. When I say I love these things it means that I've come to realize that doing something like this would be my idea of a dream "job". It took me a long time to even get to this point of self-awareness. If you are in your teens or early 20's and already know what you want out of life then consider yourself lucky. :)

If you want advice that's a little more practical, I've read through a book called The Innovator's Dillema which gives both theory and examples of how a small start-up business can come in and steal the market from a larger established business. The author, Clayton Christenson, has other books along these lines. You might find them interesting. The book applies to all business, but it especially applies to tech oriented ones, so you might find it particularly interesting.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
go study at MIT is my advice. There is this person called Ygolo here who had a similar motivation as you, perhaps you can talk to him. :)

ygolo

My termites win
I think the first thing is to really get to know yourself and what you want out of life. Do you just want to run a business for the sake of running a business or is there something more important underneath. For me I know that I love challenges and collaborating with other people. That is why I want to own a business. I also know that I love to entertain people, so my business will end up being in entertainment. When I say I love these things it means that I've come to realize that doing something like this would be my idea of a dream "job". It took me a long time to even get to this point of self-awareness. If you are in your teens or early 20's and already know what you want out of life then consider yourself lucky. :)

I agree with this.

One reason, I want to create my own business (and perhaps sell it for a huge profit) is to have freedom. The freedom to think about and work on whatever strikes my fancy at the time.

Another reason is because I want to make a major difference in the world, through inventions or discoveries preferably...actually this is probably my primary reason.

go study at MIT is my advice. There is this person called Ygolo here who had a similar motivation as you, perhaps you can talk to him. :)

Well, I am here today:D I don't visit here as often these days.

Munchies

MBTI Type
XNXP
Enneagram
OMG
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm 34 and I have a similar dream. I don't know how good my advice is, because I haven't achieved it yet, but I feel like I am a lot closer to getting it now than I was 10+ years ago.

If you want advice that's a little more practical, I've read through a book called The Innovator's Dillema which gives both theory and examples of how a small start-up business can come in and steal the market from a larger established business. The author, Clayton Christenson, has other books along these lines. You might find them interesting. The book applies to all business, but it especially applies to tech oriented ones, so you might find it particularly interesting.

thanks for the advise, ill look into that book.

I mainly want to make my own business to make my own fortune and to have control of my work. But i do have a lot of self actualization to come across before doing this

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
I own my own business and was doing quite well before the economy crashed (oh well). My advice is to be willing to start small, put your pride on the back burner and do what you have to do to get your foot in the door. This may mean making some sacrafices and doing things you don't want to do initially. Try to keep your ego in check while maintaining confidence in yourself...let's call it the cost of entry.

Next, which it sounds like you have this part under control, is do something you love. Have the focus be your passion and the result be the money. The passion/love for what you do will compell you in ways money never could.

Timeless

Playnerd
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
If I were you I'd hold into that thought for as long as it takes 'til that thought becomes a reality.

Every step of the way will be shown to you when needed.

:)

magil

MBTI Type
EXFP
Improved versions of products? That sounds a bit all over the place. Which products? I think you should just choose one product you've improved upon (have you improved upon any yet?) and stick to marketing just that, or variations of it, before you expand your business to other products. Even then it might be smart to open up seperate business to deal with each product in particular, if you can get the money. People associate specialization with quality and your improvment factory idea frankly confuses me. For customers, simplicity and reliablility count.