• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Careers/Jobs that you can get without a degree

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What are some jobs that you can get in the United States that don't require a college degree? (Besides the obvious sales jobs)

Currently I'm going to get certified to be a mediator and work as one, but I'd love some other suggestions.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Entrepreneur.

definitely! i endorse this comment. :D

there are lots of labor, mechanical, repair, and construction jobs that don't need degrees. and there is a lot of variety in those jobs, everything from pure physical labor to very refined technical work. even very skilled tradesmen and technitians usually don't have degrees, they tend to work their way up from entry level jobs as they learn more and more about the trade. i have known some phenominally talented and successful guys who started out as inexperienced apprentices and assistants.

railroad jobs, surveying jobs.
tons of transportation and driving jobs (truck drivers, couriers, delivery drivers). truck drivers are always in demand.
working on a fishing ship can pay pretty well if you don't mind being away from home for a long time. animal trainers, they don't need degrees.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Seems like most of the Ads I see these days require at least a associates degree.

a degree isn't required for jobs in police and fire.
but landing firefighting jobs has gotten competitive, so a lot of people are getting degrees to stand out. and degrees are required for upper level fire positions, like for Captains and Battalion Chiefs and higher. but those jobs take years of experience too.
i am guessing that police jobs are similar.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Government jobs. My sister is a mail carrier and my s-mom worked as a circulation clerk at a library. They have retirement whereas the people I know that have degrees and don't work in government don't. (along with sick days and vacation) That may eventually change, but right now the benefits you get as a government worker are amazing.

There are a lot of jobs you can get without a degree, it can be harder to get promoted without one though.

jasont7

MBTI Type
enTJ
You can do a lot of jobs that normally require a degree if you have experience in the field, which you can gain while others are in college, and well it all depends how well you can sell yourself ...

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Seems like most of the Ads I see these days require at least a associates degree.

Anyone else worried about the real life Homer Simpson?

5 Nuclear Power Reactor Operators $31.84 $66,200

Hahaha. Get ready for another Chernobyl.

HollyGolightly

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As soon as I read the title I thought of prostitution. But that's not very helpful advice. ;P

I think the whole mediator thing sounds like a good idea :)

Are you particularly creative? Maybe you could but those talents to use, like the others have suggested.

I applied to be a nurse before. That doesn't require a degree (well it doesn't in the UK anyways) but that job doesn't usually appeal to most people.

Fluxkom

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Poker Player
Online Marketer/Blogger
Writer
Photographer

Those all fall more or less under entrepreneur.

The comment about getting a job when you are good at what you do is true as well.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Ok not from the US but here are some thoughts:
Hair Dresser
Car Mechanic
Window cleaner
Plumber
Cab Driver
Small busienss owner - few limits on what that business would be
DJ
Dress designer
TV presenter
Actor
Model
Dental nurse ?
Factory worker
Bar tender
Cheif - some requires no experience
Waitress
Health club staff/gym
Artist
Designer
Home decorator
Woodworker, metal worker
Astrologer
Tarroist
Events organiser
Real estate
Beautician
Advertising (although you would need to get in the back door, but it IS possible)

I would think that practically all industires would allow you to have non graduate entry, but you need to figure out what your career path would be like.

Degrees are useful to have to prove you can think in a specifc way but they don't gaurantee either intelelgence or talent....