• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

My Professor: Getting him fired

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If you ever approached him in a friendly, non-confrontational manner, without "insisting" that he do what you demand, you haven't mentioned it yet. It's really not surprising that a professor (esp. one who isn't such a great teacher, which as Usehername has mentioned is only one aspect of a professor's job) would react that way to students when they approach him with demands.
We tried that. Didn't work. We tried all reasonable ways to talk to him. He is extremely stubborn.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Did you ask about a curve or do you think after all this that it might make him not want to curve if you ask?

Usehername

On a mission
So you would be totally alright if you had a teacher that treats the whole class like shit and is extremely unfair in grading? :D I don't care if he is a researcher or knows everything about what he teaches. If he doesn't do the teaching well, he shouldn't teach in the first place. :)

I think we've all been in a similar-ish situation, katsuki, which is why people asked for more details, because it really depends on the details here.

If you want some helpful advice, go open your free agenda or go to your student association website, and look up your student representative. At my university, this person's title is the Student Association's Vice President Advocate. This person is an elected official who is paid to know the rights of students and to advocate on your behalf. They would guide you regarding how to appeal, how to go to senate, and how to take action in respectful ways (not to mention tell you exactly how your problem is or isn't a problem, for example, they would tell you you need to ask if you're graded on a curve, if you haven't done so yet).

People were repeatedly asking reasonable questions in an attempt to help, and you (originally) didn't answer them, or you took jibes and rolled your eyes at the people with more knowledge who were trying to help you. This was my issue with you. Do you not have any problem with this?

If you look what I quoted above, every time someone asked for more details, you might want to go over how you responded to that question.

What about being graded on a curve? Did you even answer that question? Have you asked him yet? Furthermore, once he submits his marks, senate will override his grades and curve them for you if they deem them too low. Your professor is not all powerful, senate is.

Your professor very well could be a terrible human who is doing more harm than good. But the issue is not so black and white; the issue takes place in an established institution with protocol and elected officials whose role is solely to help guide you through the process of standing up for your rights and also not causing a big problem when perhaps some of the problem has to do with how you're attempting to solve it (aka trying to get him fired).

This goes back to what I said about developing your ethos earlier, which you rolled your eyes to. There was a reason I said all of this earlier, just like there was a reason a lot of people asked questions earlier. Your responses to the individuals who were trying to help you were immature and self-centred. I have a problem with that.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Did you ask about a curve or do you think after all this that it might make him not want to curve if you ask?
No. I didn't ask about it. I'll be seeing him tomorrow. I'll ask then. I doubt that it is though.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I highly doubt he is going to be able to give everyone a 60% in the class. That is actually something the dean probably wouldn't go for. A professor that turns in all C's and lower in a class is going to get asked why they didn't curve. Are you sure no one is getting a high grade?

Usehername

On a mission
I highly doubt he is going to be able to give everyone a 60% in the class. That is actually something the dean probably wouldn't go for. A professor that turns in all C's and lower in a class is going to get asked why they didn't curve. Are you sure no one is getting a high grade?

:yes:

If it's a large class and the highest mark is a C, the senate will require the professor to submit details of their grades beyond the letters the professor submitted, and then the senate will impose their own grading system. And btw then this n00b prof is going to look like a tool which he does not want to do, so he won't actually do this, he'll curve it. There's little reason to believe that your grades are going to get screwed over here, katsuki.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
As far as becoming professor and getting a PhD, I agree with Modern Nomad that it seems like in the social sciences the crux of the matter is more being able to tune in with the prevailing ideology/trend and produce something inside the box, unless you deal with the most complex parts - where the experts need to be out-of-the-box thinkers, lest not being able to understand the subject at all.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think we've all been in a similar-ish situation, katsuki, which is why people asked for more details, because it really depends on the details here.

If you want some helpful advice, go open your free agenda or go to your student association website, and look up your student representative. At my university, this person's title is the Student Association's Vice President Advocate. This person is an elected official who is paid to know the rights of students and to advocate on your behalf. They would guide you regarding how to appeal, how to go to senate, and how to take action in respectful ways (not to mention tell you exactly how your problem is or isn't a problem, for example, they would tell you you need to ask if you're graded on a curve, if you haven't done so yet).

People were repeatedly asking reasonable questions in an attempt to help, and you (originally) didn't answer them, or you took jibes and rolled your eyes at the people with more knowledge who were trying to help you. This was my issue with you. Do you not have any problem with this?

If you look what I quoted above, every time someone asked for more details, you might want to go over how you responded to that question.

What about being graded on a curve? Did you even answer that question? Have you asked him yet? Furthermore, once he submits his marks, senate will override his grades and curve them for you if they deem them too low.

Your professor very well could be a terrible human who is doing more harm than good. But the issue is not so black and white; the issue takes place in an established institution with protocol and elected officials whose role is solely to help guide you through the process of standing up for your rights and also not causing a big problem when perhaps some of the problem has to do with how you're attempting to solve it (aka trying to get him fired).

This goes back to what I said about developing your ethos earlier, which you rolled your eyes to. There was a reason I said all of this earlier, just like there was a reason a lot of people asked questions earlier. Your responses to the individuals who were trying to help you were immature and self-centred. I have a problem with that.
That was the way you perceived my responses. There was a lot of intended humour in there. Unfortunately barely anyone understands it and takes my humour as me being serious.
I did answer almost everyone on the thread but I'm really not interested in writing a wall of words explaining everything. This is why I tend to shorten my answers and thus my answers seem ignorant and immature.

As for my professor, he is one of a kind. He is a full blown stereotype. I said before, I've never seen anyone like him before in real life. It's like he hates us all and wants us to suffer.

Answer to the curve would be my last post.

I will see. Haven't checked for about a week.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I think you started the thread off a bit rough but ended up seemingly listening to people's responses. That's all that matters in the end.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ You make it sound like I'm faking it. :D

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Well most people probably don't care if you actually apply anything they say, they are just wanting to make their points. So if you seem to be listening you are giving them what they want.

(cynical enfp)

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes. Very true. :yes:

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
That's not cynical, it's an accurate observation. Many people, when professing, are just waiting for you to stop speaking (while not listening) in order to proclaim their next thought.

Kangol

MBTI Type
INTP
I care if Ragingkatsuki applies anything that we've said. Mostly if he applies what I said. Then I will feel the bright light of justice on my wings.

I don't care so much about him as I care about the educational system. If we can assume he's correct in his criticisms of the obtuse professor, we can assume the professor is currently a problem for the educational system. If this problem can be corrected or at least not seen as a problem anymore, that produces benefits for the whole, like more satisfied current and future students not wasting further time and grief on a bad professor.

Dealing with bad bosses by putting up with it until either of you get a new position is an acceptable strategy. The burden of productivity will be on the boss; if blame is put on an employee unjustly, that employee can talk to HR. In academics, the burden of grading is mostly on the students who have to deal with the consequences, and if the grades are unjustly given, the students should exercise their negotiation muscle and take the initiative.

I think universities and the educational system in general are hurting so badly that Professor Bogus and ilk are allowed more leniency if they can cover courses in the curriculum. The administration can't keep tabs on all the professors and require some action on the students' part to acknowledge and address serious problems with faculty members.

For us on the forum, the situation doesn't affect us directly, so of course we can say whatever we want, like I am. The real burden's on Rk, who has to decide whether or not the concerns are real enough to confront the problem.

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
How about working something out with your instructor? He might be a little more reasonable if you didn't get him on the defensive.

And suddenly I'm reminded of Clueless...

Mel: Which reminds me, where's your report card?
Cher: It's not ready yet.
Mel: What do you mean, "it's not ready yet?"
Cher: Well, some teachers are trying to low-ball me, Daddy. And I know how you say, "Never accept a first offer", so I figure these grades are just a jumping off point to start negotiations.

---

Cher: You are such a brown-noser.
Josh: Oh, and you are such a superficial space cadet. What makes you think you can get teachers to change your grades?
Cher: The fact that I've done it every other semester.

---

Mel: You mean to tell me that you argued your way from a C+ to an A-?
Cher: Totally based on my powers of persuasion, you proud?
Mel: Honey, I couldn't be happier than if they were based on real grades.

Kangol

MBTI Type
INTP
How about working something out with your instructor? He might be a little more reasonable if you didn't get him on the defensive.

And suddenly I'm reminded of Clueless...

Mel: Which reminds me, where's your report card?
Cher: It's not ready yet.
Mel: What do you mean, "it's not ready yet?"
Cher: Well, some teachers are trying to low-ball me, Daddy. And I know how you say, "Never accept a first offer", so I figure these grades are just a jumping off point to start negotiations.

---

Cher: You are such a brown-noser.
Josh: Oh, and you are such a superficial space cadet. What makes you think you can get teachers to change your grades?
Cher: The fact that I've done it every other semester.

---

Mel: You mean to tell me that you argued your way from a C+ to an A-?
Cher: Totally based on my powers of persuasion, you proud?
Mel: Honey, I couldn't be happier than if they were based on real grades.

Haha, I only recently watched Clueless (on netflix instant play) for the first time, but I ended up falling asleep. I remember those lines though.

I think Rk mentioned that there was a girl who is skilled at negotiating grades and failed, so maybe the Cher approach isn't a possibility. Unless he's actually a hot, wealthy valley girl.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I don't think negotianting grades is fair, tbh. I mean...It's like loserdom to the exponential powers...as if a grade really changed your life.

Kangol

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't think negotianting grades is fair, tbh. I mean...It's like loserdom to the exponential powers...as if a grade really changed your life.

If a grade really isn't that important, why don't all professors simply hand out all As or Fs? It's one thing to negotiate a B+ to an A-, but it's another to negotiate a fail to a pass, especially if it's unclear what the reasons for failing are. A semester's worth of time is on the line, which, depending on the college and program, translates to a few hundred to several thousand dollars. A few low grades may not matter in the end, but three low grades in the student's major can make a difference for future applications to grad school or field-related jobs. If those low grades can be attributed to a single bad professor, it's prudent to at least attempt to do something about it.

On that note, Rk should definitely keep working hard in class so as to not give any additional reason for the professor to be justified.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
k, you're right, fail or pass is a bigger deal yes