• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

My Professor: Getting him fired

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In this case, however, the OP was so obviously deluded about the accuracy of his own understanding of the situation and emotionally worked up that it seemed a waste of time for many to indulge his actual query and more worthwhile to instead respond to (the unintentional revelation of) the real need for help (unwilling as the OP might be to receive it).
You titled your thread saying you wanted to get your prof fired. This guy just worked for 25 years for that title and a place in academia, which often has 300+ people applying for one job. And you want us to err on the side of trusting your opinion and helping you to take down some prof we don't know in a situation we have no details about?

Why is it so hard for people to not read into things? Just answer threads as they are presented, and give the information that the OP is requesting. Ragingkatsuki didn't need personal help (with his character). You obviously just didn't read about what the professor was doing if you can't see that it's clearly the professor's fault. I just don't understand why it's this complicated.

Whatever.

Yes Raging, keep us posted as to the situation. You've gotten me very curious about the outcome of it. :D

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Why is it so hard for people to not read into things? Just answer threads as they are presented, and give the information that the OP is requesting. Ragingkatsuki didn't need personal help (with his character). You obviously just didn't read about what the professor was doing if you can't see that it's clearly the professor's fault. I just don't understand why it's this complicated.

Welcome to the internet. People sometimes exaggerate and tell half truths here.

Do you always take people's word for it when they complain about things? Or do you occasionally use some critical thinking to realize they might be presenting things in their own favor?

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
(Sorry if someone already mentioned this...)

Go to the dean. Have proof in hand. bring another student for corroboration. If you have a legitimate complaint that you can verify, you will be heard. That's the best ( & only) way to get him to change. Spreading rumors about him might get you 'fired' instead.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you always take people's word for it when they complain about things? Or do you occasionally use some critical thinking to realize they might be presenting things in their own favor?

That depends largely on context for me. I can usually tell if someone is leaving something out or not. Raging's situation rang very true for me, since I've had a teacher like that, and I know that they exist (and somehow are employed).

Why would he be lying? You can't just make this stuff up...

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
That depends largely on context for me. I can usually tell if someone is leaving something out or not. Raging's situation rang very true for me, since I've had a teacher like that, and I know that they exist (and somehow are employed).

Why would he be lying? You can't just make this stuff up...

I didn't say he was lying. I don't think he is lying. We're still only getting one side of the story, and I'm inherently skeptical of one-sided stories.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is my post before.
Anyway I think this thread has gone far enough. I'm going to try the reasonable suggestions written down here that I haven't tried yet. I may post my results after a number of days. My expectations aren't too high though.
Please quit the arguments. I'm going to do my best to do the advice all you people gave me. I don't think this thread has any further purpose.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Apparently some people are still finding it interesting to discuss, though. You're free to stop checking it if you're done with it.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I will then. But I'll be posting in a few days to give my results. :)

Usehername

On a mission

It's this complicated because we're talking about a very real professor with a very real life invested in a very real institution. These are not abstractions.

To presume that because his story has narrative coherence (which about a dozen posters have asserted that it does not) gives you an accurate perception of reality is problematic at best.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I've read the first page... and I'm going to give the answer I got from my father-in-law (who's a leader of several school committees).

First step: document, document, document. Gather all the complaints. Present them as facts, not as complaints. Make them as concrete as possible. (I know. Not easy.)
Eg.
Bad example: He's making life hell!
Good example: I asked him a question and he answered I that was lazy and would know the answer if I studied.

Go higher up. If the dean is not responsive, go to the vicerector - and document the actions of the dean.
Is there an "educational service" in your university? I don't know the right name in English - in Dutch it's Dienst Universitair Onderwijs - the ones responsible for the education and didactics. Go to these people, too.

Assistants can not change much by themselves. If they are willing to help, gather their testimonies too and add them to the list you're going to present to higher authority.

Students CAN do something. I will give you an example.

In our university, they wanted to throw Mechanics out of the Physics curriculum. Now, all the students love Mechanics - the professor is good, the subject is interesting and important to physics, the combination really helps you to understand physics.
They decided this during the summer break.
First thing we did was talking to the Mechanics professor. He was almost depressive - and we convinced him to not give up the fight.
Then, we (the students) stated that the decision is not valid, as there were no student representatives due to the exams. So a new meeting was called. We had the right to 5 student representatives. They asked me to be the fifth. A lot of professors were really surprised - students asking for MORE lessons!
And it worked. From then on, whenever the students asked for something, the good Mechanics professor voted in favour... :)

Edit: if you dare, let the word "press" fall somewhere. There is nothing so scary to a university as a bad reputation.

kathara

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Grow up, kid. In life you must interact with all sort of people. Stop whining and suck it up.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ If I were in your position I'd probably say the same thing so I won't hold anything against you. But that would mean that I'm ignorant... and so many times I am. I'm sorry, your advice is invalid to my situation.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Look, I don't mean to be a person who is deliberately trying to be a pain in the (yeah) that does not understand, but look at it like this:

Why are you taking the hard way out? Just change classes! Why waste your time on this asshole? He's got a method you don't like, the chemistry sucks, well...you know how it is. Quit.

If you cannot change classes, may I suggest you see this as a challenge? You're always going to have asshole bosses who are never happy. Are you going to blow up their cars every time you're pissed? Well, let's hope not.

On the other hand, if he's doing something ILLEGAL or UNPROFESSIONAL, you HAVE to do something about it immediately. Find proof. Concrete evidence. Line it up. Then attack.

Though I might come into the rough line of fire for saying this, remember that this guy IS new. He'll mellow the hell out, but initially he's not going to take any risks. As an ESTJ, he's probably going to tow the hard line initially. However, he's going to mellow out when he sees what is going on.

One last thing: If you DO decide to seriously complain (especially about illegal activity), do EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING - IN WRITING. None of this discussions behind closed doors shit, yeah I'll talk to him bullshit. No no no no...IN WRITING. Once things are in writing, on black and white, they can no longer be ignored. And if you really want to stir up the shit, send it via mail with a confirmation of receipt. And if you really want to take things all the way, demand that an incoming stamp be placed on your letter with a signature, and THEN make a COPY and keep this copy in a VERY safe place. Do this EVERY TIME you have any kind of correspondence. Rally your fellow students. If enough people bitch about this guy - again IN WRITING with a signature of receipt - the college cannot ignore this forever. If they do, you have such an arsenal again the uni/prof, they cannot ignore it.

Good luck.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ Can't change classes. I'm really not in the mood to talk about every point you've made so I'll say that everything you have said has been discussed. :)

I've got a new update:

As soon as I walked in class today a group of girls came up to me. These are the goody two shoes kind of girls somewhat like hermione in harry potter.
Anyways, they asked me whether or not I liked the professor. I said of course not in which they next gave me a sheet to sign with signatures of students from the whole class saying they are disappointed with the teacher. Now, this was done before but it didn't have much of an impact. This time an assistant lecturer assisted them so hopefully it will be stronger.

Also the class decided to get revenge in which they would all say they haven't brought in work today not allowing him to mark anyones work. It would be a mental hit to our professor which is good as he can't punish us all at once. He will realise he is doing wrong.

Also:
I asked if their was a curve and apparently I got no proper answer. He avoided the question and walked away. The thing is their has never been a curve in any of my other subjects so it's unlikely these ones is the same.

valentine

MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I've had numerous disagreements with professors in the past. Certain ones are just unbearable. 'Sucking it up' just isn't an answer some times. Give him hell in return. Turn the classroom environment into disorder. Do things in a completely disorderly way that still provides the same result as a structured way would.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:yay:

I'm hoping to hear even better news tomorrow mister! :D