• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

My Professor: Getting him fired

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Take the energy you are spending on this campaign to ruin someone's life and put it toward your studies. I'm wondering why you think this is appropriate to do someone their first year of teaching. You sound like a bully - you are bored so you are picking on someone.

How To Change And Stop Being A Bully (Family & Education: Bullying)

I wonder what would happen if he put his energy toward getting you kicked out of uni.
Turning the whole thing around hmmm? :) Bully or not, I'm not the only one who wants him fired anyways. The whole class does. I'm just trying to get it into action because there is no use only talking about it. For the record, about half the class sunk into some sort of depression from this guy. We'd all rather him gone.

If he's a first year professor then this sounds like he's trying to develop his professional identity and taking it a bit too seriously. Overachieveing in trying to establish himself as an authoritative figure, being stricter than professors who have already gotten the hang of it and are more comfortable in their identity.

Of course you're going to hit the brick wall with trying to talk to him and the dean because as you see him as someone who is unreasonable, they see you as unreasonable as well. You said that you have talked to him. How? Accusations or reasoning? Try talking to him again and smooth things out because they're not going to get any better by being childish and throwing mud around.
The hell? I've seen many professors who were lovely when it was their first time teaching. I'm telling you there is something wrong with him. VERY wrong. I swear I wish you could all see him.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Suck it up this time and try to do your best. Then never take a class from him again. That's really the best you can do.

sculpting

Already done. :D

No. He is not normal. I've never seen anyone like him before and it will be unlikely someone like him would be my boss.

Oh my god you have no idea...
I work with crazy people. The rule of promote the incompetent and mentally ill appears to be in full effect.

Actually what is really awesome is that at every company you will ever work for, most upper level folks are hired from external. At first I thought is was good to get an influx of new blood.

Now I understand they all LEFT the old companies for some reason...Let's all now observe and find out why. Just wait about four months and it starts to be obvious. You will end up working for crazy morons at some point. Since you are an INTJ, 98% of the world will not meet your standards, thus you are screwed.

Learn skills now, I guess.

Turning the whole thing around hmmm? :) Bully or not, I'm not the only one who wants him fired anyways. The whole class does. I'm just trying to get it into action because there is no use only talking about it. For the record, about half the class sunk into some sort of depression from this guy. We'd all rather him gone.

The hell? I've seen many professors who were lovely when it was their first time teaching. I'm telling you there is something wrong with him. VERY wrong. I swear I wish you could all see him.

We faced this with a long term prof who was fairly sexiest. He was an indian ENTP. We skipped the department chair and went to the Dean who blew us off. Then we went to the VP of student affairs and requested all of the course reviews for the class for the previous ten years under the freedom of information act. (Interestingly this suggestion was made by another ENTP who the indian guy had screwed over on a grant. Dont fuck with ENTPs) My school had gotten tangled in a bad scandal about five years before when a journaslist did this and found out the former provost had spent 600K redecorating his office.

They fucking freaked. They moved him to teaching a freshman level course-which he was actually very good I heard later. Resolved our issues as the grading was much less subjective-thus less room for male preferences.

My guess is your guy has poor teaching skills, is under massive stress to produce grants, is feeling very pressured to measure up to his peers-the other professors.

You cant get him fired unless you get him trapped in a sexual harrassment situation. Instead learn what he is looking for and manipulate accordingly.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6

Oh cmon. I had profs whose wives were going through chemo and went from totally awesome to pretty much acting like he hated all our guts (and it affected our grades). I had a prof that used to yell "YOU THINK THIS IS BULL S***" at us and "YOU THINK METALLURGY SUCKS, DONT YOU?!?!?!?" We just sat and waited for class to be over.

Unless he is doing something illegal like Happy said you really have no reason to be acting like this.

And just because "everyone wants him fired" doesn't mean he should be fired. This is really college you are talking about?

P

Phantonym

TThe hell? I've seen many professors who were lovely when it was their first time teaching. I'm telling you there is something wrong with him. VERY wrong. I swear I wish you could all see him.
And getting him fired will fix him? Confront him with solid evidence and try to convince him to see your way. He doesn't listen? Too bad, don't take no for an answer. But getting him fired is not the way to go.
My guess is your guy has poor teaching skills, is under massive stress to produce grants, is feeling very pressured to measure up to his peers-the other professors.
Exactly.
You cant get him fired unless you get him trapped in a sexual harrassment situation. Instead learn what he is looking for and manipulate accordingly.
Oh, don't give Raging here any ideas. Agreed with the bolded part. I'd use "make it work for you" instead of "manipulation".

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh my god you have no idea...
I work with crazy people. The rule of promote the incompetent and mentally ill appears to be in full effect.

Actually what is really awesome is that at every company you will ever work for, most upper level folks are hired from external. At first I thought is was good to get an influx of new blood.

Now I understand they all LEFT the old companies for some reason...Let's all now observe and find out why. Just wait about four months and it starts to be obvious. You will end up working for crazy morons at some point. Since you are an INTJ, 98% of the world will not meet your standards, thus you are screwed.

Learn skills now, I guess.
My plan is to have a 5 year working experience, then create my own company. So most likely, I'll not stay as one who is employed for long.

Yes, perhaps. But he does it in one of the worst ways possible.

Oh I'm usually very good at this. Worked for all other professors before. I did try it with this professor... no. The most manipulative person in my class is a girl who usually gets 90% in all her works. She got 35% from him. Oh how upset she was.

Oh cmon. I had profs whose wives were going through chemo and went from totally awesome to pretty much acting like he hated all our guts (and it affected our grades). I had a prof that used to yell "YOU THINK THIS IS BULL S***" at us and "YOU THINK METALLURGY SUCKS, DONT YOU?!?!?!?" We just sat and waited for class to be over.

Unless he is doing something illegal like Happy said you really have no reason to be acting like this.

And just because "everyone wants him fired" doesn't mean he should be fired. This is really college you are talking about?
I'm sorry but I wasn't aware that someone who is extremely bad at doing his job shouldn't be fired. He has a professorship. He should know how to do his job.

And getting him fired will fix him? Confront him with solid evidence and try to convince him to see your way. He doesn't listen? Too bad, don't take no for an answer. But getting him fired is not the way to go.
I already stated about how he reacted to confrontation on the first page.

I probably wouldn't be complaining like this if it were one, possibly two subjects. But three? I see this guy 4 days a week and I'm sorry but I have to say, I can't tolerate him any longer. My misfortune compels me to remove it. If I tolerate it it just may affect my future for the worse. I don't want to take the risk therefore I can't ignore him.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Unless he is doing something illegal or against the school rules he's unlikely to be fired.

If he's in his first year teaching, he doesn't know what to expect from you and it seems his expectations are too high. If this causes grade problems, you can appeal to your school and they will usually review them to see if they can change them. Normally a school will have a standard average they expect for a class and they may bell-curve the class if it doesn't meet that (depends on the school/prof)

If talking to the dean didn't work, you are probably out of options so deal with it and don't take any of his classes again if you can avoid it.

The sad truth is that many profs are there to support their research and not at all to teach, and the school knows this.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Unless he is doing something illegal or against the school rules he's unlikely to be fired.

If he's in his first year teaching, he doesn't know what to expect from you and it seems his expectations are too high. If this causes grade problems, you can appeal to your school and they will usually review them to see if they can change them. Normally a school will have a standard average they expect for a class and they may bell-curve the class if it doesn't meet that (depends on the school/prof)

If talking to the dean didn't work, you are probably out of options so deal with it and don't take any of his classes again if you can avoid it.
Oh I'm definitely going to make sure he doesn't appear next semester. Most people who learnt by him complained, including the assistant teachers. If it goes on he won't be accepted to teach in the coming semester. In the meantime, if nothing changes, I'm dropping a subject.

P

Phantonym

I already stated about how he reacted to confrontation on the first page.

You mean this? -

2. The guy is always right... according to him. Anything you say or submit to him is wrong. It will always be wrong. If I were the most talented guy on the subject that ever lived it would still be wrong. You are wrong even if you are Leonardo Da Vinci.

3. If he explains something and we do it exactly as he says he says it's wrong. Where is the fucking logic in that. He explains 'y' and expects us to do 'x'.

Have you considered that you might actually be wrong? Explaining something means that you back it up with evidence that is right in front of you. If you think that he is wrong and present him with that evidence how can he possibly say that it is wrong? You're doing the confronting wrong.

Ok, I'm done with this subject and contributing to your whining.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Have you considered that you might actually be wrong? Explaining something means that you back it up with evidence that is right in front of you. If you think that he is wrong and present him with that evidence how can he possibly say that it is wrong? You're doing the confronting wrong.
:) Yes, I'm wrong. That's why all my peers complain about the same thing as well. They are all wrong too.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
Idea for a movie...

College kid doesn't like one of his tutors and indulges in fantasy revenge over the interwebs, enquiring the "best way" to get at the fellow and even suggesting he "frame" him.

Tutor has an accident (say driving to see his mum in Wescoeckie). Routine enquiries by the police reveal the man had several enemies.

College kid gets woken at 4am by Detective Tom Hucklebuck... Hucklebuck takes one glance at College Kid and thinks - That's the muthafucka!

Subsequent investigations on College Kid's computer reveal Professor Asswipe was indeed loathed. Loathed with a burning passion.

College Kid can't prove his innocence, but that point is lost on the jury. The circumstantial evidence is overwhelming, but Tom decides to "guild the lilly" by "framing" College Kid.

Welcome to Stir, son, says Uncle Bubs, College Kid's new cellmate. You shua gotta a pretty smile.

Fin.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
You'd do well to figure out how to get along with, or at least endure, teachers that you don't click with. Likewise, at some point he'll have to learn to deal with cocky students who think they are Leonardo da Vinci. A difficult task for every new professor.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And just because "everyone wants him fired" doesn't mean he should be fired.

Err... yes, it does. Your thinking style is very interesting, I would've guessed you're an ESJ before knowing your real type. Carry on.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Err... yes, it does. Your thinking style is very interesting, I would've guessed you're an ESJ before knowing your real type. Carry on.

When "everybody" consists of "a bunch of students who are unhappy he's not giving them the grades they think they deserve," no it really doesn't.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6

I'm sorry, you can't horrify me into changing my opinion by calling me an ESJ.

Just because "everyone is doing it" doesn't mean it should be done. Especially when it's a student/teacher thing. The dean doesn't think he should be fired.

Incidentally, I'm curious what classes we are talking about that he is "wrong" in.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm sorry, you can't horrify me into changing my opinion by calling me an ESJ.

Preconception powa?

The dean doesn't think he should be fired.

If a hundred students say he should, and the dean says he shouldn't, I'm not going to assume that there's a higher propability for the latter to "have right" just because he has a diploma and he's called the "dean".

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm currently in my 3rd year at university. Now, this semester has been particularly hell for me. I'm experiencing the worst professor in my life teaching me 3/6 subjects. I'm laughing hysterically at my thoughts to get him fired and I'm going to take action. The question is, how? Talking to the dean is like talking to a brick wall. The only answer we (yes, other people complained to) get is "I'll talk to him". Of course nothing happened. He'll ruin these subjects for me if I don't do anything soon. Of course fantasizing about blowing up his car won't do any good. So we need to take some action.
We:

- talked to him (arrogant prick thinks he's always right and we're wrong)
- talked to the dean
- made a petition of names from the whole class
- talked to the assistants

Nothing...
I'm not the type to resort to framing but if I just might if this goes on. I need a way to fire him. I thought I might send an email from an unknown email address in an internet cafe pretending I'm an official talking about how he has been part of a mental institute or something similar. Think it will work?

He is very much an ESTJ.

I had an ESFJ teacher like that. She sounds so much like this teacher, and she was completely illogical. People get rather confused when I said how much I disliked her. I fantasized in class about getting her fired/verbally abusing her/blowing her office up, etc etc etc

I complained, and enough of the other students complained, and she was fired :static:

If I were you, I would take immediate action. Or see if he shapes up.

It is possible that he could.