• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Would a College Application Reader Know What The Illuminati Are?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
They probably would have heard of it, but they might have it labelled under conspiracy nut. It's a gamble to use it.

The entire paper is satire, so I guess if they labeled it as "conspiracy nut" it would just be because I knew enough about it to use it, not because I believed it -- and if they realized that, they would have known enough about it to be labeled a conspiracy nut too... :devil:

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
The entire paper is satire, so I guess if they labeled it as "conspiracy nut" it would just be because I knew enough about it to use it, not because I believed it -- and if they realized that, they would have known enough about it to be labeled a conspiracy nut too... :devil:

Yeah, well I'm sure you know and I don't know the context. Admin people as well may not be all that clued in. Still this is all conjecture - buy I hear they hire and train monkeys. Could be a conspiracy though.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, they would know what you are talking about, but I highly suggest that you do not do this. Discussing the Illuminati is not a serious intellectual topic appropriate for a college application. Remember, you're trying to impress these people, not give them something to laugh about.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
If you're going for satire, definitely don't do it. Satire is better if it doesn't have to be spelled out.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
For a college entrance exam if I did put the Illuminate in it I would make them the good guys.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Why does mentioning the Illuminati mean that I'm spelling out my satire? :shock: How does that even follow?

If you're concerned that the readers won't know what you're talking about, you may have to make footnotes or other references, or overexplain within the text inside the satire, which would ruin the satire.

I really, really think you should avoid it. It's entirely up to you, but I don't recommend you do this.

What form would this satire be taking? Is there a specific reason why you must use the Illuminati?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
If you're concerned that the readers won't know what you're talking about, you may have to make footnotes or other references, or overexplain within the text inside the satire, which would ruin the satire.

I really, really think you should avoid it. It's entirely up to you, but I don't recommend you do this.

What form would this satire be taking? Is there a specific reason why you must use the Illuminati?

It's a mock request for a research grant. It's relating a catchy dance to mind control, and going on to elaborate who might be using this mind control, and why this should be researched further.

I wasn't concerned that the readers would not know it until this one guy. In fact, only one out of ten people who have read this paper mentioned it, so apparently nine out of ten either knew who they were or didn't think it detracted from the paper if they didn't.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's a mock request for a research grant. It's relating a catchy dance to mind control, and going on to elaborate who might be using this mind control, and why this should be researched further.

I wasn't concerned that the readers would not know it until this one guy. In fact, only one out of ten people who have read this paper mentioned it, so apparently nine out of ten either knew who they were or didn't think it detracted from the paper if they didn't.

Well, it's a very creative idea so I'm not knocking it at all. That's great that you have such an original approach to your application. If you must make reference to the Illuminati, try to put it in a historical context rather than making any references to the Dan Brown novels or related films.

It's actually better that you do use it in a satire rather than seriously, so I'm sorry in my first reply I assumed you were going to make reference to it in some sort of serious manner. But the problem with satire is that it's ruined if it's overexplained, or if the reader (or viewer) doesn't "get it." Just keep all that in mind, and best of luck to you!:)

metfunk91

That's good advice m sunrise. Always remember your audience when writing. Satire is very tricky in your situation. It assumes a famiiarity between the reader and the writer that might not be there in your case. I'd stick to using it in a historical context. That's the safest route in my opinion. Good luck with your paper!

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
As I'm writing my college entrance essays, I'm getting one particular one thoroughly critiqued, because it's also a school project. One person commented in particular that they had no idea what I meant when I mentioned the Illuminati.

But this kid isn't my intended audience, you see. My intended audience is the college application readers. Would a college application reader be up to date on conspiracy theories?

People who read college entrance applications are typically professors that are scholarly in some field. If they come across a topic in an application's essay about which they know nothing, it's pretty likely they will look it up. It would probably impress them and humble them slightly to find an applicant that can expose their own ignorance to them.

I say go for it. If a reader doesn't know what the Illuminati is, it's not going to indicate that you are an unworthy applicant. The reader will simply look it up and then go on with reading your essay for what it's worth. If a reader does know what the Illuminati is, then they skip that small research step and go on with reading your essay for what it's worth.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Uh. I already submitted this essay, so critiquing my use of the word is pretty pointless now.

_Violence_

Why the FUCK would you talk about conspiracy theories in a college application essay...

My essay talked about the suicide of my father and a sad childhood in an attempt to get the application staff to empathize with me and thus increase my chances of getting accepted due to them feeling sorry or something. :)

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
My essay talked about the suicide of my father and a sad childhood in an attempt to get the application staff to empathize with me and thus increase my chances of getting accepted due to them feeling sorry or something. :)

Nothing sad has ever happened to me in my life, so I thought I ought to make them laugh instead.