• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Job Questionnaires

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
So, what is your experience with job questionnaires? Is it in your best interest to answer truthfully, even if an answer might come across negatively, or should you really just determine what they are looking for and "game" the questionnaire? If I were reviewing a questionnaire and someone turned in perfect answers, I would figure they were lying or stretching the truth (since no one's perfect) and I would automatically toss out their application. However, some of these may be run through computers who don't think like that. ;)

So, should you simply answer in a straight-forward manner, or should you game the questionnaire? (I don't see this as an ethical dilemma because getting past the questionnaire might simply be a case of playing against some sort of computer algorithm where a live person may never get to see or interpret your answers.) I think people should at least have a chance to get their application reviewed by a live person, so what do you think?

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I've never encountered this, but assuming that the questions actually relate to the job or its performance [ie "do you know enjoy meeting new people" as a question for aspiring real estate agents] I think it'd be important to be honest.

I've also heard many times "don't lie, but you don't have to tell the whole truth either [ie you can leave some details out]"

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm not above playing to the audience by telling them what I think they want to hear BUT I think being honest is the best route as it is difficult to anticipate exactly what people want to hear and describe it in a convincing way.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you mean those ones that assess your personality? I made a post in INFPgc about those. I hate them! They ask you stuff like: "When you get angry, do you become violent?". Who in their right ming would answer "strongly agree" to that when applying for a job? :D

So, no, I do not answer the truthfully, and not because I am violent :D, but because the test is really looking for ESxJ types, and as an INFP, if I answer truthfully, then I will fail miserably. Most of the time, these are crappy jobs any idiot could do, so I feel fine about bending the truth because I know I am capable of stocking shelves and operating a cash register. Funny on how the jobs I am not over-qualified for they just accept a resume and schedule an interview. No pre-interview psycho-analysis necessary.

laughingebony

MBTI Type
INTP
In the instances in which I have had to fill out questionnaires of this sort, I have considered intentionally answering every question the opposite of what I think they want to hear, just to make whoever is grading it laugh and to show off my sense of humor. Then I also consider that it will probably be graded by a computer. :(

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
So, no, I do not answer the truthfully, and not because I am violent :D, but because the test is really looking for ESxJ types, and as an INFP, if I answer truthfully, then I will fail miserably. Most of the time, these are crappy jobs any idiot could do, so I feel fine about bending the truth because I know I am capable of stocking shelves and operating a cash register.

Oh, I know. I've worked in a print shop all day dealing with people and I was perfectly fine with it. Just because I'd answer a question like "Would you rather read a book than attend a party?" in the affirmative doesn't mean I'm incapable of ringing up people's items and answering their questions without a huge scowl on my face. :rolleyes: When I came across this, I answered it truthfully anyway. It made me feel stubborn for some reason. I didn't end up with an interview.

I've heard that on questionnaries like these, sometimes there are questions specifically designed to determine if someone is lying to make themselves look better (and computer programs can be set up to detect these). There is a name for this but I don't remember what it's called. I suspect this when I see questions like "Do you always tell the truth?" or "Have you ever stolen anything in your life?"

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've heard that on questionnaries like these, sometimes there are questions specifically designed to determine if someone is lying to make themselves look better (and computer programs can be set up to detect these). There is a name for this but I don't remember what it's called. I suspect this when I see questions like "Do you always tell the truth?" or "Have you ever stolen anything in your life?"

And who wants to work for a company that takes that sneaky approach. You're screwed no matter what you answer :D