• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Foreign students in the US

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Okay, so I'm considering studying in the US. I'm Portuguese and dropped out of college halfway through (Computer/Software Engineering) for various reasons.

I always thought going to the US at some point after graduating, since that's the best place to look for a job in game development, which is my area of interest. I haven't graduated, but it's getting clear to me that the sooner I get there the sooner I'll be doing something I actually like. I've looked at some majors in various schools that have peaked my interest (mostly mixes of arts and technology and design).

I've been doing some research about getting a student visa, but it doesn't seem to be that easy. There doesn't seem to be any one entity that could help me with the whole process and I'm an ENFP...so, let's just say bureaucracy is not my forté. Anyway, cutting to the chase...I was hoping to hear if any of you have some kind of experience with this. Do you know any foreigner that came to the US to study and how he/she went about it?

One of the biggest hurdles seems to be financial. You have no idea how much the paradigm shifts when compared to tuition in portuguese universities. Even compared with European universities in general. I'm not sure if I'll have my parents backing me up, but do you know of any case of someone who managed to pay for his/her tuition without parental support or previous savings? Obviously, I'd be prepared to work while I studied. My question : is that enough?

Also, when it comes to accreditation and usefulness and success rate, is getting a B.A. of any use in current day America? I don't know about there but around here B.A.s often stand for unemployment and are not as socially valued as B.S.s.

I probably lost most of you, but I'd greatly appreciate some kind of help on the subject. Anything at all. Consider me a blank page on the topic of higher education in the US and how foreigners are regarded there.

Thanks in advance :)

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
i think california art institute is supposed to be a good game artist school. one of the tops in the US. some ppl would go to community college (santa monica college) and try to transfer to a top art school. i know most of the game development companies are either in the bay area or los angeles, like EA or that Counterstrike company.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
No, no one goes to school without parental help or student loans and grants here unless you can win a scholarship. "Working through college" is a bit deceptive, because working alone isn't going to pay your tuition, it will just help you live while some other source pays for your tuition.

Foreigners are generally well accepted here as far as I can tell. There are many non-natives even at my small liberal arts state college in WV.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you're going into a form of commercial art, then a BA will be useful. It just depends on the career you want. I work in design, and a bachelor's degree is often required for the better paying jobs, but none I've seen specify BS or BA. Some schools give a BA and some a BS for the same major...usually BS holders do more technical design and BA holders do more artsy creative stuff though. Game development can go either way, depending on what aspect you do. If you have a bachelor's degree, a great digital portfolio, and good connections, then the BA or BS difference probably won't matter much.

lamp

it's getting clear to me that the sooner I get there the sooner I'll be doing something I actually like.
So the thought of staying put and getting some degree while working up a portfolio (start modding :smoke:) is not appealing? For game design, I do not think what your degree is in matters much at all (except coding I guess, but you probably dont want to code).

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay, Stypg, I'll marry you. ;)

Jk. anyways, definitely come to California. It's expensive to live in or near the major metropolitan cities, but you can get a bazillion roommates while you're a student, and we have the most inexpensive education!

We would welcome you.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
So the thought of staying put and getting some degree while working up a portfolio (start modding :smoke:) is not appealing? For game design, I do not think what your degree is in matters much at all (except coding I guess, but you probably dont want to code).

It is appealing in theoretical terms, yes. But the reality of it is that self-teaching, as a learning style, only works when life outside of game development gives me some contentment. I've threaded the path of sacrifice and the only thing I got out of it was self-awareness. My strengths are not in the technical side of things, and I can learn much more from interacting with people that have similar interests. A degree, in itself, won't teach me much unless it spices my appetite (computer engineering did not).

Yes, I am aware that game design doesn't require a degree. But I want a degree so I can learn things...not as means to "objectively" distance myself from the unqualified competition.

So I guess what I'm saying is that as an ENFP, my internal motivation is in the goal itself (i wanna create games) but external motivation is paramount too and dictates the means....which.... are definitely more attuned to my levels of personal happiness than reaching my goal. Sometimes the path is more important than the destination, and all that.

You can imagine how the view of the jaded game dev community would probably say my philosophy doesn't stand a chance against the reality of the industry these days...but I feel I'm capable of exceeding my own expectations provided I'm properly motivated in life.

Also, I'm still trying to figure out what exactly I would be good at.

lamp

You can imagine how the view of the jaded game dev community would probably say my philosophy doesn't stand a chance against the reality of the industry these days...but I feel I'm capable of exceeding my own expectations provided I'm properly motivated in life..
No, I think you make a really good point about learning by being around like-minded individuals.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
New Mexico and California are the places to go for game-related careers and schools.

A lot of talent for digital media comes out of those areas. I'm not sure why.

I must warn you, however, getting a job in the US right now is awful (unless you're a web technician or a nurse), and trying to work to pay for school is unlikely as school costs have gone up considerably in the past decade. 10-20+ years ago, you definitely could have worked to pay for school, but now the costs are too high.

As for foreigners, the school I went to had many very talented students from other countries and they were happily welcomed into the fold.

sandwich

MBTI Type
INTP
Most of our international students come from China or Korea, but there are plenty from the rest of the world, as well. I know that the rates for internationals is fairly steep, but there are also schools with which we have partnerships and exchanges. I'm not sure if yours would, but there's a growing interest in Central Asia, so it's possible.

We have great programs for CS and related sciences, and also a decent Digital Arts department.

Edit: Ah, I missed the Portuguese part and concentrated on the Mongolian steppes. Bah.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
mmm actually the college in my state [college of the ozarks] only accepts students who want to work as they study. Thats it, nothing else. you work at the college and at the colleges resturant and hotel and that pays for your college :D and if you continue to work through the summer it also pays for your room and board. Thats where i've already applied to go. It is a difficult college to get into and its a privae christian college. i believe they have the type of study your looking for. I wouldnt say to stay here for the long run, but its a great way to come to the states and get your education. Its in missiouri though, so im not sure how well that'll help in your specific field of study. but its a good pitstop. while studying here you can always get scholarships to actual universities of your choice :D

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Thanks for all the input guys. Really appreciate it.

mmm actually the college in my state [college of the ozarks] only accepts students who want to work as they study. Thats it, nothing else. you work at the college and at the colleges resturant and hotel and that pays for your college :D

See, this is the thing. Someone studying in an art institute in Seattle told me I could do the exact same thing. So I'm guessing this isn't all that uncommon??

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Thanks for all the input guys. Really appreciate it.

See, this is the thing. Someone studying in an art institute in Seattle told me I could do the exact same thing. So I'm guessing this isn't all that uncommon??

i dont think its uncommon, you just have to find the colleges you can do it with. See this college is made for those who cant afford it in mind. so your not allowed to use loans or anything. i know alot of people that have graudated from here and everyone graduates dept free. personally im trying to go there to get the education and then im hoping an art institute will give me a sholarship to go elsewhere. so thats what im doing. ;)

sandwich

MBTI Type
INTP
Most people I've known to attend the Seattle Art Institute were not altogether happy with their experience. But I don't know much about it besides that, especially for the digital program.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Most people I've known to attend the Seattle Art Institute were not altogether happy with their experience. But I don't know much about it besides that, especially for the digital program.

If by any chance you learn more on that, let me know. What exactly were they unhappy about?