• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

UCSB or UCSD...?

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
I know that UCSD is a great school or whatever. But I have lived in SD for about five years now and I need a change of scenery. Not to mention that UCSB is gorgeous and sits on the motherfucking beach. One of my favorite teachers from high school graduated from there and she would gush about SB & how she rode her bike around campus, etc. So I already have this big plan to transfer there with a couple other UCs as my back up plan.

Unfortunately, I was talking to a classmate and she told me she went there and had a lot of problems... One of them being assault. She said she was treated badly as a minority, etc. And now I am just paranoid. I am aware that not all experiences are alike, but now I'm curious as to whether or not something similar would happen to me. Not to mention some of the things she told me was really disturbing and I regret bringing up the subject of UCSB

:shock:

Should I just stick to UCSD? ;_;

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
UCSD seems more chill, that's where I would go if I had the choice.

I believe UCSB is always rated as one of the top five "partying schools". I dunno, it just seems too hectic for me, too many "bro-bras".

Follow your instinct, though. If you need a change of scenery, you need a change of scenery.

Academically speaking, both schools are great!

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
UCSB is more serious in its studies than it used to (although never difficult to find a party).
I would say it is pretty safe and pretty minority friendly (if from Mexico/Central/South America the most difficult) 2nd generation American minorities should be easier than most places. Most difficulty bunch would be the out of town college cliques such as some of the fraternities or some of the more aggressive homeless. Always could commute from Santa Barbara or Goleta 5-15 min to remove self the "the college scene".

Relax, no need to be paranoid. You will love it.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Strange. I heard the same thing from my aunt about the minorities getting the back hand at UCSB (... :().
Honestly, either school can offer a great education.
From what I know, UCSD is more difficult to get into and highly academic.
UCSB is more laid-back and not quite as competitive as UCSD.
It all depends on what you want out of a college experience: a gorgeous city to live in/change of scenery, like you said, or a rigorous academic environment/place close to home.

Because I'm more of a risk taker when it comes to what I want, I'd say go to UCSB and see how you like it. After a year and you don't like it, then transfer to UCSD or another UC school. It's not like Santa Barbara is that far from San Diego. It's not of out-of-state or in northern Cali...
So do it! Be brave! Go to UCSB (if that's where you want to go) and live it up!
And transfer if you hate it.
Done!

redacted

SD is probably a better school, but that's not all college is about.

You have to decide how much importance you put on academics and how much you put on social life.

Then again, good academics might mean that people you socialize with are more likely to be interested in ideas and such, so if you value that, UCSD might win in both.

You'll always be able to find cool people at any big school. Most people at berkeley suck, but i don't hang out with them.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
UCSD is harder to get into.

The valedictorian at my high school, who graduated a year ahead of me, turned down Harvard because he wanted to pursue physics at UCSD.

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
If you get sick of school, you can always venture out and do things inn SanDiego.

At SB, kind of a smaller town. Not as many options. If your cool with that, than you know do it.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
Here's a dumb question . . . what do you plan to study?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
UCSD has a law and medical school. That bumps it's prestige factor up over UCSB. Really though, it depends on what you're studying.

As for socially, if you're not Asian, you'll be in the minority at both schools. lulz

You'll probably be fine at UCSB though as long as you're not scared to mingle with others regardless if you look different from them. People are just people, man.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
Are you sure they have a law school? Maybe you're thinking of USD.

IrishGuy

MBTI Type
INTJ
I know that UCSD is a great school or whatever. But I have lived in SD for about five years now and I need a change of scenery. Not to mention that UCSB is gorgeous and sits on the motherfucking beach. One of my favorite teachers from high school graduated from there and she would gush about SB & how she rode her bike around campus, etc. So I already have this big plan to transfer there with a couple other UCs as my back up plan.

Unfortunately, I was talking to a classmate and she told me she went there and had a lot of problems... One of them being assault. She said she was treated badly as a minority, etc. And now I am just paranoid. I am aware that not all experiences are alike, but now I'm curious as to whether or not something similar would happen to me. Not to mention some of the things she told me was really disturbing and I regret bringing up the subject of UCSB

:shock:

Should I just stick to UCSD? ;_;

I grew up in Santa Barbara. Isla Vista (the area surrounding UCSB) is party central and I hear about a lot of instances of sexual assault. There was an article in the paper one time about "the pinch" when a guy walks up behind a girl and gives here a pinch on the rump to get her attention. There was a push to relegate this "flirting" to the abyss of bad ideas. Just be aware there is a sexual component to this school

If you want drugs; Isla Vista is where they are at. Being gorgeous is almost a requirement, casual sex is common etc. It all depends on what you want I guess. Personally, I when I applied to college I did not apply to UCSB. Also, I think you'll get a little more bang for your buck when it comes to living costs in San Diego.

Although I should note that ever since they set a bunch of stuff on fire during the Halloween bash, the parties at UCSB have not gotten quite as wild.

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
LMFAO I completely forgot about this post. Anyway, I changed my mind about both schools :D

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
Here's a dumb question . . . what do you plan to study?

Pharmacy. I was going to get a B.S., but I decided that it'll make more sense to just do two/three years of prerequisites and then apply to a pharmacy school. Luckily for me, I'm an URM :D

UCSD has a pharmacy school, but you need to have a bachelor's degree blah blah. It's pretty competitive; plus, I already live in San Diego and every single person I know goes to UCSD :cry: here we have guaranteed admission so... yea. I'm not too sure if I want to go to school with everyone that I know.

So basically, I've decided to ~expand. The only UC that I'm applying to is UCSF since they do not require a bachelors. Other places include Maine, Washington, etc. Again, either way I have a very good chance at being accepted since I am an URM and a female :devil: