• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Personal Narrative Problems

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I'm having problems writing a personal narrative for school.

Usually I can pump out something but I really just can't.

I think it's a bad sign when the best beginning I can come up with is "This is the only paper I've ever cried over."

What I've ended up writing isn't a narrative. It's a stream of consciousness. I mean, and I hate streams of consciousness. Despise them, actually. I think this proves that I like them more than personal narratives, though.

Please help. I'd like to keep some of my hair.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Talking about yourself from a narrative perspection? Like "And Fluffywolf then, yada yada..."?

Not sure I understand, but if like that:

I suppose you could in your mind pretend to be someone else that is talking about you. Or pretend to be talking about someone that just happens to be exactly like you?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Talking about yourself from a narrative perspection? Like "And Fluffywolf then, yada yada..."?

Not sure I understand, but if like that:

I suppose you could in your mind pretend to be someone else that is talking about you. Or pretend to be talking about someone that just happens to be exactly like you?

It's about something that happened to you.

Usehername

On a mission
Set a timer, type nonstop for 15 minutes, and make that your goal. Then you can re-evaluate.

Writing should go through many iterations, i.e. you'll see what comes out when it comes out. It's like driving a long highway in the middle of the night using your headlights to guide you. You just got to drive. After you've done your first draft, you can pick out what you liked from it and see what direction your piece is heading.

You can always edit out and you can always add more detail, so don't worry about what goes into your first draft.