• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

why is taking semester off the end of the world?

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Why do you need to take the semester off? What makes you think you will undoubtedly fail if you go this semester?

InfiniteIntrigue

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp
A lot of people don't go back.
See, I'd die before before taking a semester off but that's because I'm obsessed with school. Also because my MBA parents have made college a topic commonly spoken about in our household.

I wanted to be a journalism major. then an english major. then a dietetics major. then a social work major. finally, after destroying all my dreams (thanks ENTJ dad, I needed to wake up), I settled on Criminal Justice.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Yup, what everyone has said. Everyone has known too many people who "took semesters off" and then never went back.

I have a friend who "took a year off" before starting college. He met some chick and 'fell in love' and never went to college. He still regrets it.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
You were wrong all of you! I took the semester off and I am ready to go back. I knew it was for the best and I'm glad I did it. But I am ready to go back in january. I just needed a break.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Ahah I totally got necrothreaded! AHH!H!H!H!

prplllllllllllllllll

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
It would be hard to take a semester or year off from college and then get back on track. But, this is not impossible. I went back and got a graduate degree while working full time. (I only worked during summers during undergrad.) So, I was more out of the school vibe and my days were full beyond working, studying, and sleeping. So, it's do-able. I'd say explore your options but if you know for sure that you'll flunk out, I would say taking a semester off is a better alternative to that.

There's no perfect solution to college and jobs, but without a degree getting a good job is usually harder, overall and on average.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yay prpl. I'm glad your semester off has got you feeling better.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
BAH! It's no big deal. Hell, I took three leaves of absence, and am I any the worse for it? Hell no: I have a good job, a husband, and a successful life as a teacher and freelancer. You just have to know what the hell you want; sometimes taking a leave of absence is an AWESOME thing. Of course, if you just want to take time off to goof off, well, that's not very helpful.