• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

More important .. Work or Education?

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I have been looking for work since May 2nd when i moved into my new place. So far i have put out 40-50+ applications and only had one interview. I have been on 2 courses so far just to get me out of the house, but it also looks good on my CV.

I am driving myself insane seriously so what do i do?

Do i just take a job so my confidence increases or do i take a European recognised computer course (enrolled yesterday) which starts at the end of September (full time 8 weeks) so it helps me apply for more potential jobs.
In the meantime i can do some voluntary work which i don't mind.

I just don't want potential employers to dismiss my applications as it now looks like i have been out of work for some time so there must be something wrong with me.

Watching the news the other night (first time in so long) they were saying that although we are slowly coming out of the recession, they are actually expecting more job losses in the near future. *tut*

I know i am not in this boat alone but what would you do if it was for you?
Just to mention, money wise at the moment, i am doing OK, not living a life of luxury but our tummies are full and hugs don't cost.

Thank you. :blush:

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
If you've the means to focus on education at the moment, and you think that education will lead to more fulfilling employment in the future, then focus on education. Otherwise, just take any ol' job for the confidence boost and the better employment record.

I'm in a situation similar to yours. I recently resigned from my button pushing job, and I've not been able to find a replacement. I've opted to focus on education as the job I want requires a Ph.D. (I'm a philosophy grad which means I'm unemployed, but I know why.)

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
^^^ I have kind of come to the conclusion that i will just do the course whilst applying for work. Should the job come, i'll quit the course and if not, then i'll at least get another qualification. :)

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Wise plan -- you can also defer the employment until the course ends or close since it is a short course. Would you consider part time work that is in keeping with your interests/long term goals? is there such work available?

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I have to work a min of 16 hours to be entitled to the tax credits for the children.

Everything happens for a reason so best i cover all bases. :)

Usehername

On a mission
What I like to do in these situations is block off a few hours time, and lie in bed, and daydream. Usually I get awesome plans this way.

You could spend a few hours imagining what the most brilliant and creative person would do with your gifts/talents/resume and pragmatic constraints (must stay in x place because of kids, etc.) and then make a list of possible avenues to explore.

I'd also hit up every contact you have, let them know that you are open to x kind of possibilities and ask if they'd use their "great position/great network/great social skills" to sniff around and see if there's anything out there that would meet your skillset and needs.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
What I like to do in these situations is block off a few hours time, and lie in bed, and daydream. Usually I get awesome plans this way.

You could spend a few hours imagining what the most brilliant and creative person would do with your gifts/talents/resume and pragmatic constraints (must stay in x place because of kids, etc.) and then make a list of possible avenues to explore.

I'd also hit up every contact you have, let them know that you are open to x kind of possibilities and ask if they'd use their "great position/great network/great social skills" to sniff around and see if there's anything out there that would meet your skillset and needs.

Thanks.

Lol .. I have already done a lot of what you have mentioned. I am a very proactive person who unfortunately doesn't have a lot of patience. I like to see results NOW.

I know i will struggle to get back into a bank so i am willing to take any admin role until things pick up. Obviously i have applied for a lot of jobs already. I have sent my resume to some local companies (cold calling). I am registered with agencies. There are several websites i check a few times each week. Friends know i am on the lookout so they are keeping their eyes open for me. I have even lowered my wage expectations on applications.

The only thing i am wondering is if my resume looks to good thus being over qualified for basic receptionist jobs. It is filled specific detail as to my last role. I think i will try and dumb it down a little and see how that goes.

I know i could go into retail as a last option but i don't want to lower my expectations to much as i worked so hard to get where i did.

This is a great test of my patience so at least i have something else to work on now. *sigh*