• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How's your work ethic?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
How is your work ethic?

Set aside the P/J cliches, please.

I think I have a pretty good work ethic, and I do my absolute best. I'm a stickler for doing things right and have vowed never to go half-assed. But sometimes I break that.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I have a great work ethic at work and in sports. Not as much in academic matters. My work ethic mostly derives from wanting everything to run smoothly, and not letting people down by not doing my part, taking responsibility for what I have promised to do. This is perfect for working and playing in a team, but in school you're just by yourself and you have to be motivated by your own success in academic matters, something that has never been able to give me much spark (in contrast, I can easily be strongly motivated by money).

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I have a great work ethic at work and in sports. Not as much in academic matters. My work ethic mostly derives from wanting everything to run smoothly, and not letting people down by not doing my part, taking responsibility for what I have promised to do. This is perfect for working and playing in a team, but in school you're just by yourself and you have to be motivated by your own success in academic matters, something that has never been able to give me much spark (in contrast, I can easily be strongly motivated by money).

I hear what you're saying.

For me, my work ethic in school is a whole lot more lax. You're right, it's a one-man deal at school, and I just don't have that much motivation.

But in a functions where the benefit of others and an outcome is relied upon by me, I would feel terrible if I gave anything less than my best.

However, quite contradictorily to what I said about school, when I have single jobs, helping people out with things, chores, doing work outside etc etc, I have a strong motivation to do it right and complete just because I feel incomplete and fractured if I know I haven't given something the best of my ability especially when doing it for someone else, because my image relies on that.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I can be a workaholic at times. The only times where I've performed less than my best have been situations where my potential success has been limited. I get bored and frustrated.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can be a little over the top with work. I love to work and take it very seriously. Studying, papers, actual going to work, whatever, I get to be a raging perfectionist at times. Very good work ethic. Showing up on time, every day. doing things right, doing things fast and efficient. Good additude. I can get to be work a holicky if there is a lot to do. I try not to though. Not sure where it comes from. Certainly not my type. Not my upbringing. Just a random trait I spose.

It slacks a little when I get really tired.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
If I'm immersed in something I enjoy, or something that's crucial, I'll follow through no problems. When I'm involved in work I enjoy, I'll be a work horse. On the contrary, when I'm doing something that seems trivial and/or totally mundane/monotonous/non interesting, my initiative goes out the window and I'll procrastinate and set the job aside.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
If I'm immersed in something I enjoy, or something that's crucial, I'll follow through no problems. When I'm involved in work I enjoy, I'll be a work horse. On the contrary, when I'm doing something that seems trivial and/or totally mundane/monotonous/non interesting, my initiative goes out the window and I'll procrastinate and set the job aside.

Though we're at the opposite ends of the spectrum from eachother, we have a lot in common.

P

Phantonym

I'm like this as well. I get things done quickly and effectively. But I also like to do as much as is needed and as little as possible without compromising the effective outcome. I like to remind myself that I don't live to work.
I always try to find some little thing that motivates me during the work I have to do but if it truly is something that I'm not that interested in, I can procrastinate like no other.

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
It's good...I work better when I'm left to self-motivate, and get lots done in short amounts of time. I tend to piddle and gather the energy I need, and then knock out insane amounts of work at once. I take pride in what I do, and like to be left alone while I'm doing it. :)

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
When it comes to a few special things, I have an excellant work ethic. Everything else? I'll do it tomorrow....

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
On the procrastination note, what I tend to do is procrastinate and then at the last moment, do everything I am humanly capable of doing in as short a period as time to get whatever work I need done right and at my best potential.

Not a wise habbit, because I often make careless mistakes, but I'm a workhorse in that manner.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
How is your work ethic?

Set aside the P/J cliches, please.

I think I have a pretty good work ethic, and I do my absolute best. I'm a stickler for doing things right and have vowed never to go half-assed. But sometimes I break that.

Alas, my work ethic is just flat out... poor. Last I checked, I'm J, and I usually put in less work than is needed on things. I've been called lazy, undisciplined, waster, etc. But once again - when I am motivated or inspired, I can work really hard. That's when I'm on unstoppable mode (I've found that when I really want to accomplish something, I can do it).

The J/P thing with work ethic is absolute bonkers.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
When I'm motivated, my work ethic is great. But usually, alas, my work ethic is just flat out... poor. I usually put in less work than is needed on things, but once again - when I am dedicated or inspired, I can work really hard.

The J/P thing with work ethic is absolute bonkers.

Proof that is has nothing to do with Judging/Perceiving.

I know a lot of people who dwell on that. I have an INTP friend who is convinced that he has a terrible work ethic because he is a natural P, as if looking to blame it on something, and does nothing to try to strengthen his ethic.

To me, work ethic is the mark of a man. I always look to pursue things with the best of my ability, or face the consequences. I have high expectations, and when I don't meet them, I feel terrible.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am definitely a play before work kind of person. I admit to procrastination, showing up a little late in the morning, and several breaks throughout the day. I will however, stay late if really necessary. I don't work to live by any means - it is out of sheer necessity, and I think there's something mentally off with workaholics, haha.

My last job stopped complaining when they saw I always got the work done, done well, and on time. It was usually me who was prodding everyone else to hurry up to meet the deadline. I'd also assume additional responsibility to my official duties, because it often meant making my primary tasks easier and getting the entire thing out of the way faster. That left me more "down time" to relax :p.

I'm all about quality and efficiency, basically. If I can do great work in short bursts and meet my deadlines, then I don't see what the issue is with how much time I actually spend working.

As a designer, you sometimes have to kill time waiting for the cloud of inspiration to rain down, and what seems like goofing off can be a method to enter that zone (no BS, I swear :p). When I am in a creative mood, I accomplish a lot, so I think it makes up for the slacker moments.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'm afraid I'm the sort OrangeAppled thinks is off. :laugh: Most Def. Workaholic.

Started working when I was 15, and I haven't stopped since. Just this fall semester I do my military training, first on call for hurricane detail, 5 classes, part-time job as a paraprofessional, and weekend job as a Ren Fair worker. On my days off I clean, improve the house, do tasks set aside for days off, etc. I'm trying to get on a committee to further my community and I could go on, I swear..

Trust me when I say I love just lounging around all day, chillin' and playing.. but only when I feel confident that I've worked everything that needs working. I enjoy earned vacation time thoroughly.

..But when I'm on the job? I think I do well. There is a difference in my motivation level over time if I dislike the work I do, but I've only had one job depress me with it's work so much I HAD to get a different job. I dislike clerical, boring office work. I like moving, shaking, switching, talking, re-arranging, helping, cleaning, anything really. School depresses me, so I work to compensate for it, and look forward to my degree in May. :yes: