• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How's your work ethic?

ygolo

My termites win
Mine is erratic.

At school, even though I found most subjects interesting, and I studied a lot on my own on whatever subjects I was interested in learning, my homework completion rate was rather low throughout High School (before HS, the HW was so easy I would finish it on the bus ride to school).

In College, my work ethic at school, and work improved a lot. I got two degrees in 3 years of school, and gained 2 years of work experience, in the field I wanted to enter. I felt like I was setting my own direction and my life was fully in my control.

This was a time I was a total work-a-holic. Pretty much from when I was 18 through about 24-25 (through college and a few years beyond). I was actively pursuing my dreams through a career.

Some exceptions, however, were that I pretty much have always neglected my chores, and really dislike exercising without the exercise being a part of a game or something.

After that, I became disillusioned and cynical...and finally burnt-out and depressed. Since then, my effort and concentration at has wavered a lot. Some days I get a lot done, other days I get nothing done.

Also, my weaker mind-set has lead to getting sick really easily...and missing a lot of days at work.

I got my Master's in the mean-time, and grad-school fueled ideas and some meager amount of hope. However, the work load was stressful and hard to bear, and it took me 5 years of grinding through class work.

Work right now just doesn't connect to ambitions, hopes or dreams. It is just a job for me, but, for many (maybe most) of my co-workers, the work is for their careers. That makes is hard to keep my motivation on par with mt co-workers.

Currently, my hobbies keep my spirits up, and I pursue them with a decent amount of energy. Some of that energy help me at work, but sometimes the hobbies take my focus off of work too.

LucrativeSid

My work ethic has always been terrible. Supposedly people like me think we're too good to work. That's probably the case, although it's not conscious. We dream excessively and suffer from delusions of grandeur. No patience. Can't stand details. Give up easily. Make up for laziness with charm and intelligence.

At school, I did nothing. I skipped college. (Too much time and work.) At work, I do the bare minimum, but I make it look good. In my personal life, I get absolutely nowhere.

I'm trying to change this, though.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I work hard to achieve a task/goal when there is no other way to do so.. :devil:

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
Virtually non-existent. I have to enjoy the process, otherwise I'm unmotivated and miserable (and I'd MUCH rather be "bored"-i.e. doing nothing-than miserable). Almost any work involves far more time than that spent on the rewards received, and I don't sufficiently enjoy any of the rewards to make up for that disparity. I also never feel satisfaction at a job well-done (if I didn't enjoy the process of getting there); all I feel is relief that its over, coupled with resentment that my precious time on this earth has been wasted.

That said, I actually view a work-ethic as a virtue, for two reasons;
1.) Given the nature of human life, one is generally happier if they posses a work-ethic.
2.) A work-ethic contributes to improved living standards, both currently and for future generations.