• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Computing jobs?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've been considering trying to get a computing job of some kind.

I have a lot of basic experience with computers, and I can do stuff like use Office well enough to get things done, type at just under 38 wpm, solve most Windows problems, resolve network issues, configure/administer Unix-like systems, and know some very rudimentary C++, HTML, and BASIC.

Basically, I’m a jack of several trades, and a master of none. I’m looking to get a job related to computers, but I don’t look very attractive to employers because officially, the only thing I’ve got is a High School diploma. No references, no experience, no certifications, etc.

I've heard that there are types of certifications and training that I can get which increase my chances of finding a job in computing. I guess my question is, which jobs in computing are in demand, and which certifications/training would make me look more attractive to those potential employers?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
"Computing" is a bit broad. Right now I do accounting/network administration, which basically consists of everything from filing, data entry, balancing, installing and maintaining a network, making sure everything works, creating reports for buyers, etc. In this manner, my "jack-of-all-trades" qualities really help.

I think your best bet would simply be data entry of some kind, especially considering your credentials. It's a bit dull, but it's easy and you can flesh out your responsibilities as your employer can see you are multifaceted in what you can do.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I know being a network systems analyst is suppose to be one the fastest growing tech jobs.

No references, no experience, no certifications, etc.

Ever think about being a self-employed webmaster or web developer?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I know being a network systems analyst is suppose to be one the fastest growing tech jobs.

Hmm... I could probably do that, I guess.

Ever think about being a self-employed webmaster or web developer?

Yes, certainly. I've even managed to read about people who've done such things, made money online, etc... what's frustrating is that I can tell most of them are INTJs and ENTPs, and maybe a few ENxJs.

Basically, people who seem to think exactly or quite similarly to the way I do, except for one thing: they know exactly what they want, and they're determined enough to keep trying things, taking risks, failing, and trying again. They're not security-oriented, they're opportunistic.

This is probably why I struggle so much. I don't have the typical community-oriented, connected, loyal manner of most security-oriented people, I have the project-focused nature of more opportunistic people. But without the ambitiousness/fire, willingness to take risks, and the determination to persist. A very, very bad combination of traits. :(

Other problem is that I don't seem to be good at coming up with the kind of ideas that people like, though I have the same sense of the potential of things that they do once I see something.

Sometimes it feels like being an entrepreneur trapped in an office worker or servant's frame of mind. Or something like that. Intuitive types should never have to be stuck in an IxFJ mentality. We just shouldn't. There's a good reason why INFJs are 1% of the population... putting an N into that mindframe is extremely wasteful in terms of potential and opportunity under most circumstances. No, it's probably just me.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Do you want to do software development, security, network admin, or something else? Your perspective sounds like you would find network admin/security more of a fit. It sounds like maybe you should start trying to apply for support or help desk jobs to get some experience.

Edit:
If you have the ambition to go the entrepreneur route, don't let your weaknesses hold you back. Everyone has them. The specifics don't matter, only that you develop a way to overcome them. :)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Do you want to do software development, security, network admin, or something else? Your perspective sounds like you would find network admin/security more of a fit. It sounds like maybe you should start trying to apply for support or help desk jobs to get some experience.

Network Admin sounds interesting, but it looks WAY too hard to get that job. It's not one of those you can just get a certification for, according that book that tells me what they offered at the community college. They offer some training without a certification, but nothing I could show an employer to make myself look more qualified.

Support/Help desk jobs? I guess I could do that, my family members usually call me asking how to resolve computer problems. It would be nice to finally get paid for it.

Edit:
If you have the ambition to go the entrepreneur route, don't let your weaknesses hold you back. Everyone has them. The specifics don't matter, only that you develop a way to overcome them. :)
Hmm... well, I don't really have the ambition, I just listened to someone else talk about it. It's just so frustrating that I have no ambition, because I'm confident that if I did, I could make it work. I always manage to see where other people who have ambition went wrong, what they could have done to make it work. If I could only apply that ability that to myself... ah, well.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Yes, certainly. I've even managed to read about people who've done such things, made money online, etc... what's frustrating is that I can tell most of them are INTJs and ENTPs, and maybe a few ENxJs.

Basically, people who seem to think exactly or quite similarly to the way I do, except for one thing: they know exactly what they want, and they're determined enough to keep trying things, taking risks, failing, and trying again. They're not security-oriented, they're opportunistic.

This is probably why I struggle so much. I don't have the typical community-oriented, connected, loyal manner of most security-oriented people, I have the project-focused nature of more opportunistic people. But without the ambitiousness/fire, willingness to take risks, and the determination to persist. A very, very bad combination of traits. :(

Other problem is that I don't seem to be good at coming up with the kind of ideas that people like, though I have the same sense of the potential of things that they do once I see something.

Sometimes it feels like being an entrepreneur trapped in an office worker or servant's frame of mind. Or something like that.

I've been around the major webmaster forums and communities for a while, and there are some complete idiots and even 15 year old kids who are successful at it. And most people there don't come up with original ideas, but they jump on whatever the newest method or niche is. It's mostly about having the right information.

If you're interested, the Digital Point forums and the SitePoint forums are good places to go if you want to learn about this stuff. I think any introverted intuitive can get into it.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Network Admin sounds interesting, but it looks WAY too hard to get that job. It's not one of those you can just get a certification for, according that book that tells me what they offered at the community college.

I'm a developer, so I'm not all that familiar with the network admin career path. I work with them some. I'd go with the Windows one first, since that's the most common environment. Linux would be nice, but with fewer opportunities.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcsa.aspx

Many large corporations and institutions have support analysts which take care of the numerous network admin tasks. It would be a good way to start--not being responsible for everything, and having others to ask for help.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I think you can learn stuff on network admin on your own, but it's certainly easier taking a cert course at a community college seeing as they outline everything you need to you in the courses they offer. My brother is entering into a network admin program this year, although he's taking a computational math course over the summer just to get it out of the way. It's suppose to be a good field to get into though... relative stable as long as there are large companies around, they'll need system support.

Oh and go windows... linux, less people use linux.

ygolo

My termites win
Salaries for computing jobs

Athenian, if you are open to getting certified, becoming an Oracle Database Administrator is an extremely lucrative job.
Oracle Database administrator Salaries - Free Salary Search | Indeed.com

As far as Linux vs. windows, it is pretty much a wash.

Linux avereges slightly higher, but both the entry level position and the top pay are lower for Linux.
Windows System Administrator Salaries - Free Salary Search | Indeed.com
Linux System Administrator Salaries - Free Salary Search | Indeed.com

If you are willing to learn CSS, XML, XSLT, and SQL on top of your HTML skills, you can get into Web Design.
Web Design Salaries - Free Salary Search | Indeed.com
If you are willing to learn AJAX on top of that:
Web Designer, Web Designer AJAX Salaries - Free Salary Search | Indeed.com

If you sharpen your C++ skills, there are good opportunities for you as well.
C++ programmer Salaries - Free Salary Search | Indeed.com
Java is very similar to C++ (and easier to program in, IME):
Java Programmer Salaries - Free Salary Search | Indeed.com

Visual Basic Programmers get paid a little less:
Visual Basic Programmer Salaries - Free Salary Search | Indeed.com

Becoming a computer technician seem pretty easy, but the pay isn't that good:
Computer Technician Salaries - Free Salary Search | Indeed.com
Though System Configuration pays more:
System configuration Salaries - Free Salary Search | Indeed.com

It takes a lot of training, but if you want to get into my field, the pay is very good:
Chip Design Salaries - Free Salary Search | Indeed.com
Integrated Circuit Design Salaries - Free Salary Search | Indeed.com
FPGA Design Salaries - Free Salary Search | Indeed.com
Though, you can get in with less training if you do Mask Design:
Mask Design Salaries - Free Salary Search | Indeed.com

I would work on getting some sort of certification, it'll help a lot
CCNA Salaries - Free Salary Search | Indeed.com
CCNP Salaries - Free Salary Search | Indeed.com
MCSP Salaries - Free Salary Search | Indeed.com
MCSE Salaries - Free Salary Search | Indeed.com

Those are the salaries, but ultimately it is what you are interested in that matters.

I am giving up a rather lucrative job (see above) for something I am more interested in right now, but pays a lot less:
Physics Lecturer Salaries - Free Salary Search | Indeed.com
Physics Post Doctorate Salaries - Free Salary Search | Indeed.com