• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Journalism, writing or communications degree

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
What are people's experiences with these degrees? What have people who have taken them got out of them? And how do you think an ENFP with half a PhD in Physics would survive them?

P

Phantonym

Personally, no experience, so no help from me. But if you could survive half a PhD in Physics, you can survive anything. If you're interested and think that you might benefit something from these degrees, I say go for it.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Thanks :). I've heard Journalism is meant to be an okay choice for ENFPs, I'm wanting to do writing/communications, but my ISTP sister found it frustrating for various P type reasons, so was wondering what others have thought. I think I want to learn it anyway, it's just deciding which course.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I have a journalism degree. I got it because I don't have a long enough attention span to work in an office or enough math skills to be an engineer. It was, I thought, a good way to get paid to run around and be nosy and take lots of pictures of people making goofy faces or of big fires or other such stuff. Unfortunately, unless you get lucky and you get to be a foreign correspondent and have lots of great adventures, you're not going to get paid very much and it will feel like more work than it's worth.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I have a journalism degree. I got it because I don't have a long enough attention span to work in an office or enough math skills to be an engineer. It was, I thought, a good way to get paid to run around and be nosy and take lots of pictures of people making goofy faces or of big fires or other such stuff. Unfortunately, unless you get lucky and you get to be a foreign correspondent and have lots of great adventures, you're not going to get paid very much and it will feel like more work than it's worth.

This was a bit why writing and communications interested me more, because it can become a supporting degree for my other, or get me into journalism, P.R., advertising, writing, and various other things. It also feels like it would be more fundamental, which I like. I get a feeling Journalism would be more fun to learn though, and suit my attention span, as you said.

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
I promise I'm not following you around........ :ninja: but journalism is something that I have kept in my attention span for the last three days (shocker!!) and want to know more about too. It seems like a risk to get into that industry currently, the traditional newspaper and newscast companies are not doing too well financially. A trend I have observed moving in a more positive direction is blog-based reporting (like La Presse in Montreal). What are you thinking of for journalism plans after studying it? Where do you want to work?

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I promise I'm not following you around........ :ninja: but journalism is something that I have kept in my attention span for the last three days (shocker!!) and want to know more about too. It seems like a risk to get into that industry currently, the traditional newspaper and newscast companies are not doing too well financially. A trend I have observed moving in a more positive direction is blog-based reporting (like La Presse in Montreal). What are you thinking of for journalism plans after studying it? Where do you want to work?

Not sure yet. I'd prefer investigative journalism to the blitz get stories out stuff. They say there is less room left for it, but I always think that just means people are following the trends and leaving the market more open. I don't think taking your time to learn about things and sum up issues clearly will ever become redundant. Maybe it will become more important as the media moves more to the fast paced quick information stuff.

I'd also considered writing for something science related. I've got such a wide range of interests, I just figured it is the ball park they are in, so I'll figure what part I like best once I'm in there.