• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

worst type for the military

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Imagine asking an ESTJ/ESTP to sit at home and research the life work of people like Plato and Aristotle, and to write long, well thought out, grammatically correct essays about their lives. And to join a think tank and spend countless hours engaging in abstract thinking without any real, tangible production. These kinds of activities ALLLLL day. Every day. For 4 years. With 150 INTP's looking over your shoulder and saying, "You're not doing it right! You're not thinking creatively enough. You're just writing very basic, straightforward stuff."

Um, these sound more like ISxJ activities than anything else.

As for which type would be the worst in the military, I'm going to go with ExFP.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The fundamental question of which type is worst for the military can only lead to a general conclusion that doesn't apply to every member of that type; INFP, but not all INFP's.

The military is a strictly Te-Si (order, perfection, no-nonsense, strict, uniform) based organization that doesn't even consider the individual values of particualr soldiers; take your command and get the job done like you're told so; no Fi at all.

(Seargent Heartman is the spitting image of the ESTJ military archtype).

Thus Fi domes would probably not be all that well suited if certain commands contradict with their strongly wrought internal values. But unless forced to join, most people join the military because they want to, so I imagine for those Fi and Ti users who are in the military, it's because they're there of their own free will and thus, their internal systems of logiac and values are not threatened by the presence of the military atmosphere.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Plus, dont forget that not every military in the world is the US military. Some countries have a pretty different logic when it comes to army size or general approach towards combat.

What can potentially change the answer(s) to this thread greatly.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Plus, dont forget that not every military in the world is the US military. Some countries have a pretty different logic when it comes to army size or general approach towards combat.

What can potentially change the answer(s) to this thread greatly.

I agree.

People will no doubt base their answers on what they see happen in movies. The irrational but unconditional loyalty and discipline, the no questions asked attitude, etc, etc. That will no doubt fit worst with NTP types.

But the military is a little broader than just that. There are plenty of positions in the military that would fit great for NTP's, no doubt.

NegativeZero

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w4
I knew an INTP that was in the Marine core for several years. To be honest, I think there are far too many other variables at play here when it comes to performance in the military.

KDude

One of the various IPs to start with (including even ISTP, but probably the least of them).

jimrckhnd

MBTI Type
INTP
I spent a number of years in the American army and as an INTP I was effective at my job but was never particularly comfortable with the culture. As a result I left - and that cost the taxpayers a great deal of money. As a general rule I'd suggest to an INTP that they not join the military - if for no other reason our tendency to not respect hierarchies and authority not based on demonstrated competency is a real problem.

It is not that they cannot function effectively there if put into the proper functional areas – but they are not as likely as other types to be happy there and I’d suggest far less likely to make it a career.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd be miserable in the military, and I'd half-ass everything and eventually get booted out.

So, INFJs may not be the best bet. It doesn't really seem like a Fe playground anyway. lmao

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The only letter out of "INTP" that serves you well in the military is "T". I, N, and P all work against you. N is only good in certain positions. INTP's thrive on independence. Independence of thought, independence of time, independence of decision making, etc. We like to march to the beat of our own drum. You can't do any of this in the military. It's actually quite the opposite. It's about doing what you're told to do - right now!

I'm very glad that I experienced it. It was good for me. But, I don't ever, ever want to do it again.

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I could've done really well in the military. I also could've gone to jail for sedition against my superiors. I'm glad I got out. (probably not jail, but serious shit regardless)

I know people of all types in the military, and it takes a special kind of person. I don't think it's type related, but however insane this sounds, if you really like playing team sports and being part of a group you probably would like it. The higher in rank you look, the more homogeneous everyone is. There are exceptions though, I knew some really high ranking people that were INTPs. Intellectually stimulating careers do exist in the military, but they are rare.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
How your type does in the military is very heavily dependent on what your job and rank is. More job/unit than rank, though.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I am way too much of an esfp prima donna to function in the military without getting into trouble constantly. :D

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Did I mention how bad I'd be in the military? I'd cry about having to get up that early in the morning and yell back at the drill sargeants because I wouldn't let them tell me what to do. I might even hit somebody. That would not be good.

I also might get together with some others like myself and work to sabotage something about the military I thought was corrupt, and then I'd just be thrown in federal prison, so I'd realize this just in time and go AWOL instead.

Me and the military is a BAD BAD SCENE. It's one of the worst jobs you could stick me in. You know, that, working at a factory, or like being an investment banker...probably the three worst jobs I can think of on the face of the earth.

At least garbage men get to go outside and don't have their lives completely controlled or have to work 120 hours per week.

Did I mention I'm terrified of violent combat?

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Yeah... I'm not very good at being broken. I would mock the instructors when they told me to do something, consistency??? Slothful! Can't I just do five now and work throughout the day to get my ten done?... Yeah. I'd get the shit jobs and then not do them.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think, out of possibility, the XXFPs would be the worse off.

How your type does in the military is very heavily dependent on what your job and rank is. More job/unit than rank, though.

Definitely this. Besides the whole rules and regulations, it is possible to be any type and like/hate the military depending on the type of job the person is doing.

Did I mention I'm terrified of violent combat?

Again, depending on what you signed up for (and if they let you into that job or not) you might not even see much or any combat at all. It just so happens that combat is the most widely publicized part of the military.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
MBTI: NFs, ISFPs
Enneagram: 4s, 5s, 8s, 9s
Instinct Variant: Sp/Sx, Sx/Sp, Sx/So,

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think it's interesting how many people (irl, not just here) talk about how they couldn't be in the military because they would tell their Drill Sergeants off. It's like a badge of pride or something. That's like saying you couldn't go to school because you would tell your teachers off for telling you what to do. When people do these things it's normally more of a mark of immaturity than individuality.

I'm not picking on people in this thread, though. It just reminded me of how many times I've heard this irl.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oddly, i think i could handle it.
In a hypothetical situation of course.
It seems to me that it takes away any responsibility for oneself, kind of like packing boxes in a warehouse.
Oh but i wouldn't actually go and fight and kill people, that would be wrong.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think it's interesting how many people (irl, not just here) talk about how they couldn't be in the military because they would tell their Drill Sergeants off. It's like a badge of pride or something. That's like saying you couldn't go to school because you would tell your teachers off for telling you what to do. When people do these things it's normally more of a mark of immaturity than individuality.

I'm not picking on people in this thread, though. It just reminded me of how many times I've heard this irl.

- teachers don't (can't) walk up to your face and scream at you/namecall, etc

- 6-7 hours a day, 5 days a week, with different teachers is much more tolerable than 24/7

- Relatively MUCH more freedom/individuality in school than in the military

- in primary/secondary school, you don't want the school calling your parents if you act up. In the military, all the consequences are upfront/within legal bounds.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

It's immaturity to think that screaming in people's faces is not an effective way to teach them or mold them?

Most teachers don't yell in people's faces like drill sargeants.

I guess everyone who doesn't want to get in lockstop with some violent authority figure is "immature."

So did you ever take that test, "Would you have been a Nazi?" :coffee: