• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Befriending a Teacher/Professor on Facebook

P

Phantonym

I don't see why not. Teachers/Professors are human too :laugh: Basically, if you've chosen to befriend somebody, it's their choice either to accept it or reject it.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've never thought of teacher/studetn relationshi[s as bad as long as both are mature and profesionality like grades and such are not compromised. Bedding a teacher to get better grades would be bad for example. But a teacher and student that fall in love for whatever reason, could happen, but keep teaching and relationship seperate. Why not?

But apparantly it's illegal in many countries. I suppose I can see why. But I'm not a supporter of that.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
i teach SAT for various organizations in my free time while Im going to school...

Sometimes they facebook me. For the longest time, I would tell them Im not gonna add them bc I don't want anyone to find them on facebook on my friend list. They kept insisting and friending me, so I would add just the guy ex students. I think one or two girl student added me later... since Im hardly on it anymore, I just accepted it. Since most likely I will never see them again.

As for phone numbers, I dont take their cell numbers. I only take their parents home numbers. So I can call their parents to tell them about their kids if I have to. LOLZ

Knowing this, I cant imagine why they would facebook me still though. I think they think of me as their friend or something.

P

Phantonym

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Fluffy, who said anything about bedding a professor?

Personally, I see Facebook as a convenient address book, listing the people I know and who know me to get in touch with them when needed.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Fluffy, who said anything about bedding a professor?

Personally, I see Facebook as a convenient address book, listing the people I know and who know me to get in touch with them when needed.

I just did. Figured I just give my end-game opinion about it. :p

I figured facebook is a doorway that could lead to that? Seriously, why else would adding a teacher on facebook be a problem if not for developping relationships.

G

Glycerine

haha, I just find the idea amusing. I am not really against or for it. I have 1 male professor and 2 female teachers on there. 2 requested me and I requested 1.

file cabinet

if i was in this situation, i would not allow them to view my pictures or tagged pictures of me and perhaps other personal information. facebook allows you to create 'friends lists' and then you can block these people from viewing specific sections of your profile in the privacy settings page.

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I have a professor and an ex-teacher on there, there's nothing special about it. I occasionally discuss current events with the professor.

G

Glycerine

if i was in this situation, i would not allow them to view my pictures or tagged pictures of me and perhaps other personal information. facebook allows you to create 'friends lists' and then you can block these people from viewing specific sections of your profile in the privacy settings page.
why? Most people (students or teachers) probably aren't going to be creepers or am I just really naive? :) haha

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
You might just to do it simply because it may be expected of you..... many Academics have large egos - no accept the FB invite might mean you getting das boot!

Snow Turtle

I don't have problems facebooking teachers, but I suspect that it may be more problematic on their half. Personally I want to know about what my teachers get up to, but that's because I'm especially interested in what a teacher is like as a human. You can't really find much about their lifestyles unless you actually know one personally.

Eiddy

Pronounced eye-ee-dee
MBTI Type
DEAD
Enneagram
1w2
I used to have students on FB, but I would hardly ever get on. So I deleted the account. They have me on MSN messenger also, but I sign in invisible. I sign in just to see if my mom or brother are online. Its nice being able to see when they sign in since I have their icons on my desktop for my mom and brother.

It's not that I hate talking to the students, but they can be draining at times. I know they need someone to talk to sometimes, but most of the time I ask them what did their parents say about it. It's like having to work at home too. This student said this and that one did that, and my grade was what and why did I get that grade.. on and on. Finding 4 or 5 incoming chat requests. Well you can understand why I am in hiding, right?

Now I only wish if I had one close friend my age that wanted to chat that much with me. :blush:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think befriending a teacher/professor on Facebook is a whole lot better than befriending parents.

Seriously, I got a friend request from my mother on Facebook, and now I refuse to log on. That's just too uncomfortable for me.

But I would gladly add a teacher/professor if I were friends with them.

Snow Turtle

I used to have students on FB, but I would hardly ever get on. So I deleted the account. They have me on MSN messenger also, but I sign in invisible. I sign in just to see if my mom or brother are online. Its nice being able to see when they sign in since I have their icons on my desktop for my mom and brother.

It's not that I hate talking to the students, but they can be draining at times. I know they need someone to talk to sometimes, but most of the time I ask them what did their parents say about it. It's like having to work at home too. This student said this and that one did that, and my grade was what and why did I get that grade.. on and on. Finding 4 or 5 incoming chat requests. Well you can understand why I am in hiding, right?

Now I only wish if I had one close friend my age that wanted to chat that much with me. :blush:

Ouch oh dear. That sounds like a right hassle! Teachers already work so much at school, to drag even more home?!