• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Working time

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
So these past months I've been working pretty hard by my own standards. As the manager of a project with a deadline I've been spending 40 hours a week on average for 18 weeks straight actually doing work (i.e. we're talking efficient hours, not time spent e.g. foruming while at the office). A while back I was feeling sorry for myself for being overworked when my favorite Canadian pointed out that I actually have it pretty good, internationally speaking, which Wikipedia confirms (see attached figure). IIRC, I briefly resented the pity party pooper, rejoining that he sure was able to spend a lot of time foruming for someone who was supposedly working even harder than me. :dry:

As my long, paid vacation draws closer, however, I find that I am able to approach this question more rationally, by which I mean that I am turning to the totally representative sample on this internet forum for data! :D

What job do you hold, how many hours do you spend in an average week actually doing work, and how many weeks off do you get each year?

View attachment 3657

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Wow, I started a thread to which no one cares to reply? :shock:

<meta> Anyone want to tell me why they did/do not care to reply? :)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Wow, I started a thread to which no one cares to reply? :shock:

<meta> Anyone want to tell me why they did/do not care to reply? :)

In my case... because I don't have a job. :blushing:

Many of the people on this forum are 14-22, and are still in school. There might also be some that are unemployed, bums who live in their parents basement, stay-at-home moms, etc.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I work 40 hours per week; I will work no more at this point in my life because doing so effectively reduces my annual salary, which is unacceptable.

I get 4 weeks paid off each year.

On average I spend 30 hours per week "doing work" and 10 hours per week in meetings, preparing for a project, administrative stuff, etc.

There you go, a real live answer! :cheese:

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
What job do you hold, how many hours do you spend in an average week actually doing work, and how many weeks off do you get each year?

I'm a Program Coordinator and if I was totally efficient with my time management and work load I only have about 24-30 hours worth of work to do each week. But the thing is at work you're supposed to pretend you really have 60 hours worth of work to do and complain about how you're doing the job of 10 people. It helps with bonding with your coworkers. And if your boss is the type where your crazy efficiency is intimidating or they view your workhorse tendencies as something to exploit you may want to hide this.

I get two weeks paid vacation and all major American holidays.

And athenian, you're exactly right. Most people here are under 22 and in college with very little real world knowledge or experience, which is why what most people say on this forum can be routinely ignored. :D

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I work part-time, as a translator, html coder, and newser. I try to be as efficient and quick as possible, and since I work from home, I can get around 800-850 euros a month with 10-12 hours of work a week. I like you proteanmix, but I really think that the attitude "you have to complain to show that you're doing real work" is one of the main problems of the world. Everybody would be better off if that kind of parade didn't happen.

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP
Part-Time "consultant" for a small business for the past two years. Went from 28 hours a week to around 13. No vacation, no bonuses, no nothing. After the first year (when I actually HAD work to do), I spent most of my time at work watching TV or taking naps.

In transition ATM. I go in when I'm up for it but I'm also in the process of starting my own business, so I'm fully prepared to be working nearly non-stop for at least the first year or two.

Usehername

On a mission
When I work at the bike shop, 8 hours of work during the busy season means you might be allowed to grab a break to eat lunch (even though it's legally mandated); eight hours of work during the winter means we sit around watching movies on the 'net and take turns getting up for the occasional customer for 6 of the 8 hours, and do 2 hours of true earn-your-wage work.

Managers don't make mention of the dusting/vacuuming/stocking/organizing that could be done a little more routinely in the winter if we don't make mention of the fact that we get ripped off from our lawful breaks in the busy season.

My other student jobs are similar.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
i work about 50 hours a week on average.
i am "actually working" almost all of that time - i work labor/construction, and we can not laze around or not work without it being patently obvious.