• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

i want to teach lots of things.

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm a music ed major, and wrappin' it up. But I love math, and history, and, philosophy. Music has strengthened my Fe, and now I (really) love everything. And I love teaching. So my question is, fellow teachers, can a guy get by without a teaching degree?

Can you teach with just the degree? I just don't want to student teach again if I go back. Plus, it only takes a year, year and a half to get the other degree, since I've already been...

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
I don't know how it works where you live, but over here in the Netherlands high schools are allowed to hire a small percentage of teachers without a teaching degree. Those teachers still need to have finished a major in the subjects they teach though.

It's funny how the title of this thread immediatly gives the (correct) impression that this thread was made by an INTP.

Eiddy

Pronounced eye-ee-dee
MBTI Type
DEAD
Enneagram
1w2
Hi Run,

You don't need a degree to work in third world countries. You only have to be responsible, able to successfully manage and teach the children. Also it is a major plus on your behalf if you hold an American, British or Canadian passport. (Read blonde/light brown hair, light eyes, or at least look like a foreigner.) Parents will easy pay more that way. There are plenty of school looking for teachers in many third world countries.
*Hint come to Egypt* :D

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Unless things have changed an awful lot since I got my certification many moons ago, it's not that many hours to get certified...why not just do it?

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Student teaching takes a whole semester.

Kangol

MBTI Type
INTP
Perhaps you should apply and take the courses while you figure out how you can get by without a degree. If you don't find a way, you're already on your way to getting it anyway.

Frank

I have a cousin with some sort of a business degree who is teaching chemistry and art. I'm not sure how she worked that out but she has been doing it awhile.