• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Question for small business owners

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP
So, I'm filling out the paperwork for my business license and running into a problem here. It's asking if I will collect NJ sales tax and/or pay use tax, then asks for the exact date I expect to make my first sale.

Even the instructions don't make much sense.

See, I need the license to open an account with my distributor, then I have to place my first order two months in advance before I start selling. So... I can set up a random date that I'll be starting my business in the future but how am I supposed to know when my first sale will be? :thinking:

ThinkingAboutIt

MBTI Type
INTP
So, I'm filling out the paperwork for my business license and running into a problem here. It's asking if I will collect NJ sales tax and/or pay use tax, then asks for the exact date I expect to make my first sale.

Even the instructions don't make much sense.

See, I need the license to open an account with my distributor, then I have to place my first order two months in advance before I start selling. So... I can set up a random date that I'll be starting my business in the future but how am I supposed to know when my first sale will be? :thinking:

What are you selling; and are you selling in state or out of state? If you are selling out of state, you don't charge or collect tax. If they are in state, you charge/collect sales tax - doesn't matter if you have a retail location or not.

Might want to visit here: Sales & use Tax Publications - NJ Taxation and look at 4,5,6 & 7

Not sure if you have a product and will be implementing a marketing campaign or not, so can't help more with the 'first sale date' other than to say it should be an approximation of when you think you will sell for the first time.

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP
eCommerce woes...

So, I'm at the next stage of starting my online business (online comic book store; just books for the time being, no other merchandise but might expand into t-shirts/hoodies at a later date): deciding on which site to host the business. I know my best choice is to run my own site, but I'm not skilled in HTML and will consider that later down the road when I have a little extra money to pay someone to build the site.

I've done research on Amazon, Yahoo & Ebay but I'm wondering if anyone here has personal experience with an online store at any of these three sites and if what your experience was with it.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I'm not certain, but I think that NJ state law states that you must collect sales tax for shipments to a NJ location. The tax must include delivery charge, as well.

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah, I'm trying to get through now and change that.

Ironically enough, I just (like three minutes ago) got my business cert. in the mail.

yay I'm officially a business owner, woohoo.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am so excited for you Wade! That is awesome sauce. Regrettably, I have no experience hosting sites (at all, or) with any of the former, so I can't make any suggestions atm.

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP
Thanks. :)

I think I'm going to stick with ebay for now. Cheap, simple and everyone knows it, lol.

Then after I'm actually turning a profit have my own site built and go from there.