• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Math phobia, why?

Qre:us

Math is one where the more time gaps you have in terms of utilizing the skills needed for a particular type of problem solving, the harder it will be, not only to get into the swing of things, but to rebuild understanding (on avg, for most). As well, math's a great exercise in brushing up on skills for the game of logic. Math problems are like a game to me, in many ways. A puzzle, a riddle...

Of the three broad branches, Calc, Algebra & Geo, Stats/Finite...my favourite is Calc, learning the limits of math and all. ;)

My area of expertise is one where I'm neck-deep in Statistics. It's a love/hate. Hate because when I'm 'forced' to delve into a topic, my mind automatically counters with a conditioning of 'distaste'. And, higher-level stats for multi-factor complex analysis and such, where controversies, debates are rife...well, kinda mind-numbing. If you've ever been privy to seeing biostatisticians duke it out, you'll understand. And, quite a few of them have thick (THICK) accents. Piss-on, Piss-on....does he wanna be pissed ON or piss ON someone? POISSON DISTRIBUTION! Ah! :doh:

I used to love it when I was a kid, and would do math competitions as extra-curricular activity (part of the :geek:club! yup!). I won provincewide too, CEMC - Mathematics and Computing Contests
Now, when I'm bored, I sometimes do some of these math competitions/exams, just for the hell of it, and to get a different perspective of seeing the exams, versus how I perceived them when I was a kid....as they're pretty easy level for adults. So it's fun.

YEAHHH MATH! :static:

tibby

MBTI Type
fool
The boy prolly didn't see it coming at all, methinks :D I didn't seem at all lacking skin, actually the opposite if anything, that's why he was prolly in utter shock. Can only speak for maself, yes that's going on inside my mind, at least did use to, back then. But he couldn't have predicted the impact it had on me.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't like math because my friend is switching to it and now I won't have very many classes with her next year (beside differential equations and complex analysis). To think she would abandon physics simply because it has idiotic requirements.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I was bad at grade school math decent at middle/highschool math. I don't know, math to me, is fine sometimes, but I don't enjoy it. I'm the type that will know how to solve the problem good at remembering formulas yet I always add wrong or miscopy a number. I defiently understood it, I was very rarely lost once i got to middle school. What screwed me over in grade school was those time tests I'd get nervous and bomb them, it's like whyyy? what does this prove? I'd rather take my time and have things correct then play towards a deadline.

now I haven't taken math in 3 years so I am rusty, but I'm not math phobic.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I know. :devil:

This is one simple petrogenetic grid.

egb013f4.gif

The letters in this diagram are shortcuts for complex chemical formulas.
If I am not mistaken grt stand for R3 R2 [SiO4]3 for example.

Where first R can stand for Mg, Fe, Mn or Ca
Second R can be Al, Fe, Cr, Ti or Zr
While Si and O form the basic of mineral structure.

The shortcuts are simbols for chemical elements.

Are there btw p-v-diagramms in rock science ?
PvDiagramm-Diesel_0110.png

Or are those limited to rocket science ? :D

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My only regret is that I haven't gone back to college in like 7 years and thus haven't given myself the opportunity to review and extend my math knowledge. So much of the calculus and trigonometry knowledge I learned in HS and college has atrophied in my brain, and I'd need some remedial courses to get myself up to speed. Then I'd love to go further into differential equations and the like.

Totally need to get back to school one of these days...

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Are there btw p-v-diagramms in rock science ?
PvDiagramm-Diesel_0110.png

Or are those limited to rocket science ? :D

As far at I know this diagrams can be made but they would not have much value. Especially since rocks are anything but clearly defined materials.

That main things that are intresting to us are temperature and pressure. Which grow with depth.

If you are looking for more complex answer feels free to ask.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have an Associates in Liberal Arts, an Associates in Education, and a B.S. in Secondary Education. I could never do math because the teacher always made us go to the board and write a problem out. Just having to stand up in front of the class did me in, never mind try to think and write at the same time. There was always ridicule involved. I stopped even trying. It used to make me literally sick with shame and fear. My family also moved a lot because my dad was in the service, and every time we moved, the class would be at a different point than the class I'd left, and I couldn't keep up. However, during one grading period in 9th grade, I knew we were not going to be in that town longer than a few weeks, so I tried an experiment. I wrote the teacher a note and asked him to pretend I did not exist -- don't call on me, make me go to the board, look at me, nothing. He agreed. I made an A.

In college I did logic instead of math. I made straight As.

Edit: I had a similar thing with music, actually. I couldn't find a teacher who would just leave me alone to do music and not force me to do recitals. The only time I felt good in a recital was once when I was in college and had to go on stage for a voice jury. The footlights were in my face and I couldn't see people looking at me. I made an A and I don't think I've ever before or since sung so well. I never had that experience with piano, I was always in a situation where people were looking at me. I could do it but I hated it, I mean viscerally hated it, and dreaded it. I eventually just let it go.

*shrug*

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I hated being watched, too. Part of the reason why I am no longer a performing musician... I have the ability to turn off myself and just be on stage and deal with it, but I feel sick to my stomach after.

Same problem doing math at the board. Wow, I totally forgot about that - what a recessed memory...

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
i like math

matrix algebra, for some reason i really like doing proofs.

what annoys me is when social scientists try to use too much math in their research though. the fact is that doing real research and writing formulas are not usually anywhere close to being the same talent.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I guess I really dislike math because it shows a lot of my inner flaws.

I'm not as detail oriented as I wish I was. I'm not capable of always looking at something and knowing instantly what to do. These things show up a lot in math.. where the concept seems simple, and I feel confident, but then I get out on my own for it all and flop somehow. I Think I did well on a test, and it turns out I didn't.. Everything looks so simple in theory, but it's never that simple when working things out on your own.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I pretended to suck at math to get together with a very HOT INTJ blonde from my class who helped people, who are not that bright. When I came to her house and we went past the learning part she kept telling me about the hot boy that lives next to her house and always undresses in the morning when she can watch. I of course had no muscles... Math + Life = suck

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
In college I did logic instead of math. I made straight As.

I did logic as well (although I did calculus, too, but didn't go beyond calc II). Even the more advanced logic topics were more intuitive to me than regular math. I have no idea why...I think it has something to do with the way it was taught. Proofs in logic were always so much more fun than anything we ever did in calculus. Statistics wasn't bad, though.

PureWhispers

I used to love math--even passed the AP Calculus BC test during my junior year of high school. Nowadays, half way through college, I haven't had a single math class since, and now math scares me. Why? Because I basically can't remember anything beyond 10th grade. Most of Algebra II, most of pre-calc, and virtually all of AP Calc have completely vacated my brain, and as such, the thought of having to relearn all of it (which is what it feels like) is probably the biggest deterrent.

Then again, I'm a humanities major, so it's not like I'll truly be needing it any time soon. Still, I do sort of miss the good ol' days of being somewhat skilled at it...

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
I don't like math simply because I've never had a teacher that could explain it well enough for me to understand. I've also never had the drive to work hard at it because it takes too much brain power for so little reward. I'd rather golf.

Scarfism

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
8w9
I don't enjoy math because I suck at it. Seriously no matter how hard I try, I just can't "picture" it. When I try to solve a problem, it's like there's a block that I can't overcome. This is how I was in school, anyway. Now I am good at figuring math out if I don't consiously do it!

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP
I was actually pretty good in math when I was very young but something happened (which I won't get into) that turned me off of it completely when I was in second grade.

Ever since then I've pretty much ignored it as much as possible and focused all my attention on writing, literature & so on from that point forward.

Sometimes I wonder what would have happen, if only...

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
I was actually pretty good in math when I was very young but something happened (which I won't get into) that turned me off of it completely when I was in second grade.

i was very good at math as well, they moved me into the next grade level's advanced math class. so, in 5th grade i was in a 6th grade advanced math class. then i realized that those math kids got beat up and ostracized a lot, so i stopped trying and got very bad at math.
now i am terrible at math, really horrific. i guess you can divide numbers by other numbers!? craziness!

oh, by the way, my best friend is studying graduate level math and theoretical physics at MIT. it is a mystery that we ever became such close friends.