• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Post an Idea for a business or a way to make money

ygolo

My termites win
Post an Idea for business or way to make money.

I'll lead off:
Late-Night/ Early-morning delivery of breakfast food (expanding to other types of food).

I could really go for a "grand slam" type mea right now, but am too lazy to head out.

It seems like a good thing for college towns, and people working really late into the night. That way, the'll have alternatives to pizza.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Why in the 9 hells would i share any of my business ideas with you goons?

No offense, but fuck off lol :p thief!

(snarkiness aside for a minute, I highly reccomend you not share any serious business ideas in a forum like this)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why in the 9 hells would i share any of my business ideas with you goons?

No offense, but fuck off lol :p thief!

(snarkiness aside for a minute, I highly reccomend you not share any serious business ideas in a forum like this)

that's exactly what i was thinking. i have several but i'm not SHARING...sorry. :)

ygolo

My termites win
Ideas are a dime a gross, man.

Do you know how many business ideas my co-workers and I have bounced off of each other during lunch time over the years? We often have 5 or 6 just over one lunch time, and many more in hallway discussions between meetings and such. We've probably had 30,000 easy over the 9 years or so.

Guess how many of those have actually been attempted? Maybe 20 (and that is very generous). Some inside the company, some starting their own companies. As far as I know, none have been a run away hit, and a couple are sustainable.

I don't believe ideas themselves are worthy of IP protection. Only the actual designs, discoveries, trademarks, branding mechanisms, etc.

How many people have had ideas of creating web-based auctions? or using e-bay to make millions? or doing whole-sale drop shipping? or other such things.

How many actually make it work?

I had an idea once for making solar cell powered electric bycicles. The technology is almost there. However, two things I discovered in my initial investigations is that:

1) This is not a market where I would have a competitve advantage as designer. This is much more of a mechanical engineer's problem, and some amount an industrial designer's problem. Someone like entropie would be far more qualified for the engineering task.

2) Distribution would be a nightmare. The best markets for these types of bikes are in the rapidly developing regions of India and China, and perhaps cities in the developed world with way too much traffic. I'm not positioned for this. Nor do I know people to do this for me, or where to find them. This is where it sucks being a severe introvert.

If someone else takes this idea and makes it work, more power to them. I've lost interest in it.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
Counterfeit council owned rubbish bags.

I don't know about anyone else but where I come from it's twenty bucks for a packet of five. If you can learn to make your own and sell them for half of even a little less you'll make a killing.

nozflubber

MBTI Type
Hype
Ygolo, it's not about the frequency/liklihood of it.... it's what happens to you AFTER someone steals your business idea/model...

Think about how you would feel if someone made millions off of YOUR idea? Depression/homocidal mania, anyone?

ygolo

My termites win
Ygolo, it's not about the frequency/liklihood of it.... it's what happens to you AFTER someone steals your business idea/model...

Think about how you would feel if someone made millions off of YOUR idea? Depression/homocidal mania, anyone?

Frankly, I'd be elated to see solar bikes take off. I am of the "Why not?" club.

If I can't actualize an idea, I'd want someone else to do it.

When I was 12 years old I "came up" with the idea of regenerative breaking (along with a whole catamaran shaped car that ran on solar and wind power with a "solar sail" -- a wind sail made of solar-electric fiber. I was also going to have it be "pedal-able" if running low on wind, sun and battery). Little did I know regenerative breaking was already invented in 1967. I won a small prize for my concept car model. A few years later, I saw a commercial for a car touting its regenerative breaking systems...I was excited not depressed.

Oh, and in keeping with the theme of green-ideas-i-had-as-a-kid:
Not particularly original, but I thought that health-clubs should replace their exercise machines, treadmills, cycles, etc. to ones that contain little generators which would then create electricity to be fed back to the grid.

...and look they're doing it.

not depressed.

Also from IPWatchdog.com:
Unfortunately, despite what you may have heard, there is no effective way to protect an idea through intellectual property law. Copyright protects expression and patent law protects inventions, and neither protect ideas. In both cases the idea is the first critical step, but without some identifiable embodiment of the idea there can be no intellectual property protection. That does not mean that you should give up when you only have an idea, but it does mean that you ought to proceed to flush out your idea to the point where it is concrete enough to be more than what the law would call a “mere idea.” The moral of the story is that ideas alone cannot be protected, so you need to think in terms of invention.

nozflubber

MBTI Type
Hype
well, you may not care, but someone might think this is "harmless sharing" here on this forum. It is not and ideas CAN and DO get ganked, so my post can serve as a fair warning, i suppose?

One idea I'd be willing to talk a bi t about is a new concept for video game arcade/fun house kind of deal, but would be subscriptions and not per time fee. develop a large community around it and charge outrageous amounts for pizza and candy!

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
I think i've mentioned this somewhere on here before. Anyway.

Enlist wealthy possessive people to incorporate your skills to stalk ex's, spouses, potential game ect on sites like my space, facebook, intelious ect. In order to have a leg up. Wether it be divorce court, ammo in a premeditated argument, or just plain general purposes.

Edit: i just gave light blue team ammo. crap. sorry Red.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
delete delete...don't do it professor! it's a ploy!!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
us idea people gotta keep quiet...keep to ourselves...play dumb if necessary...they'll rob ya blind...run....run for your life man!

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
us idea people gotta keep quiet...keep to ourselves...play dumb if necessary...they'll rob ya blind...run....run for your life man!

Oops:) i thought your post was detrimental to red team. It's ok. i am the CEO of stalkcoughers. We have a copyright but that still doesn't mean others can't go underground. That and our lead attorney is on a walkabout. So it's all good.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
nice...totally creepy...but nice.
OdBall-thatworks2.gif

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
software, molecular economy, fossil fuels.

The next technology boom will be brain computer interface and molecular engineering.
You can start with simple stuff like selling plastics.

You also have to identify what type of sector you plan to build youtr business, manufacturing? services? or refining?

Also Mass transit works well also. There is huge market potential is any transportation.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Ideas are a dime a gross, man.

You are dead on for this. It's not about the idea, but the execution. Even bad ideas done well make it farther than good ideas done bad/not done.

1) This is not a market where I would have a competitve advantage as designer. This is much more of a mechanical engineer's problem, and some amount an industrial designer's problem. Someone like entropie would be far more qualified for the engineering task.

This, however, is an extension of the 'idea myth'. There are no 'more competent' people, only people who actually do it. You can hire engineers, you can hire sales people, you can hire distributors... You are going to have hire all of them, eventually, from start to finish.

The key component to all of this is that someone has to set all this up... and work through the problems, the paperwork... it's a nightmare...

That's the real barrier of entry.

If someone else takes this idea and makes it work, more power to them. I've lost interest in it.

Exactly.

(I suffer entirely from the same problem. I cannot see myself ever bringing large scale projects like this... I couldn't even manage small ones as a self-started in my own company. My INTJ partner did it, just as my wife does it. As far as I can tell, the "right" pattern of behavior is for the (T)Ps to be doing the Plan-Do-Check-Act, as they see the problems, the solutions and the gaps... while you get the (T)Js to do the Do/Act portion.)

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Here are a few I'll just throw out there. I'm not claiming all of these are all original, but I think you could make good money of them if you wanted to.

-Hot and "healthy" pizza ready through drive through in 60 seconds or less.

-Manufacturing and/or distribution of biodiesel

-Host a site for independent film makers to market their movies over the internet.

-A business where you consult people how to start up and successfully run their own business.

-Now is a good time to start a bank, or invest in real estate.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
I am actually planning to learn several languages and travel around the world. Then i can understand how the busniness model works globally.

O

Oberon

For hot HOT food, go to...

APOCALYPSE CHOW

The only restaurant with seat belts on the toilets!