• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is INTP a good type for doctor?

deepthought

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Im in high school right now and i'm kinda deciding on maybe being a doctor in the future. Can an INTP survive this job or is it too interactive etc. etc.
Comments/Thoughts?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For an INTP, I think getting through med school is the hardest bit.

INTP's can handle interactive jobs as long as they like the job they do though, no worries there. If you're really into becoming a doctor you should have everything it takes.

Ne is good too!

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
You know those stories you hear about doctors forgetting medical instruments inside of a patient during surgery?

Yeah, those doctors are INTP.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Do you think you would make a good doctor?

Your type indicates nothing. Do what you want.

I have spoken;)

SurlyAdam

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
I think game show contestant, career student, and college professor are your best options.

Chloe

I am ENFP and med student, and it is much harder to me than it is to STJ types, but it is not impossible. Your INTP type is even better match then mine. NP combination can be problem, but in medicine you can really choose what will you do, will you do detailed work, or something bigger picture.
So don't let MBTI stop you from going to med school. Just follow your gut, thats N for.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
No, give up right now, INTPs are never good doctors, how are you going to face the families of the patients you routinely kill? They'll haunt you for the rest of your life! MBTI was created to stop people like us becoming doctors! We're fools deepthought, mad, mad fools!

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And sense of achievement.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Depends on their social skills and the type of medicine they want to practice.

Also, yes, the structure could be difficult; then again, INTPs are great flexers by nature.

Diagnostics would be something they excel at (i.e., noting patterns in the evidence).

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
All depends on if you can deal with that patients. For me, that was the dealbreaker. I can see myself saying something like "Well we did everything we could, but he just seemed to give up. No use beating a dead horse."

And getting fired.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
the way you phrased this whole question tells me you don't understand how type is to be used or understood.... it suggests that type is some pre-deterministic mechanism to predict successful job outcome. Don't think of it that way, that's a misuse of the instrument.

The question to ask is, why would being a doctor be rewarding to an INTP? I think jennifer's answer is best - being compelled to figure just what the hell is killing ppl out there. Quite a mystery at times!