• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The wonderful world of an all-Female workplace

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
And of course then you get the whole "BUT 1 IN 6 WOMEN ARE RAPE VICTIMS" routine, which conveniently ignores the fact that this statistic includes statutory rape...which OH WAIT IS NOT ACTUALLY RAPE. sigh.

Statutory rape is rape, the second word there gives you the clue.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm pretty sure he's referring mainly to the US/Western culture in general.

P.S.,

HOLY SWISS CHEESE THIS CHICK IS SERIOUSLY FROM A TOWN CALLED "BATMAN"!

Then he should state his assumptions or display his ignorance.
"Honour killings" happen in the West too.

Your argument is nonsense. It's simply a matter of sexual economics. Supply and demand.

PS. What?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Then he should state his assumptions or display his ignorance.
"Honour killings" happen in the West too.

Your argument is nonsense. It's simply a matter of sexual economics. Supply and demand.

PS. What?

It was really just a summation of sexual economics, and the fact that women control it. Biological supply and demand is a good explanation for it, but it doesn't make the point any less valid. How exactly is it nonsense?

And considering that all of his premises were statistics and cultural references regarding cultural and educational trends in the US (click the links?), it seems to me you could have reasonably inferred that he wasn't talking about third world countries with gender relations policies from the dark ages.

Also, I can hardly see gender-driven "honor killings" being a significant issue in the US, because gender equality is a much greater part of our cultural fabric than in say, Turkey...the linked article said that they're very difficult to prosecute in Turkey because a significant number of people in the police and judicial systems actually still agree with the ridiculous belief in honor killings, which is simply not true here. I'm sure people in the good old US of A still kill each other over honor, but forced honor suicides are not so much an issue in the West...and even so, whatever "honor killings" occur here are not gender-biased (the article even noted that the suicide rates of men triple those of women nearly everywhere else), and so they don't really fall into our little gender relations discussion here.

P.S.,

Then again, apparently you didn't actually read the article you linked to, either. The girl is from a Turkish town called Batman.

Statutory rape is rape, the second word there gives you the clue.

And a clue for you: Statutory rape, while certainly not acceptable behavior in most cases, is not actually rape. There's a difference between tricking a young/naive person into giving you something and actually forcefully beating the crap out of him and taking it.

As I said, neither is particularly morally sound, but one is a lot worse, and it's a mistake to use the term "rape" to describe both.

More importantly, they absolutely should not carry the same severity of punishment.

chegra

MBTI Type
INFJ
Well, yes the woman definitely control the sex scene in the west.

But, I think that they bare a greater risk from any single sexual transaction.

1. A Man doesn't lose social value when he has sex, it increases. If a woman is seen
as too easy(by you txt her for sex), she risk being call a slut.

2. She risk having a child, nine months and the pain that it carries. Also, she has to take care of it for 16 years. Yes I know child support, but realistically does it cut it? And, is it even worth headache, when you could easy navigate such consequences by choosing the right person. Beside child birth is pain full.

Yes, some women do use sex as a way to control a man, but then that is if you choose to be controlled.

You can leave.(Brinkmanship - cut off supply to control me, I am gone)
The generally counteraction for such an argument is, "You are only with me for the sex."

If you are honest, yes, or else we will just remain friends and still have the same level of convo/interaction.

chegra

MBTI Type
INFJ
That was very Te of me.

Let me mix some Fe in there.:hug:

All Te thinking is best done with a little Fe behind it.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, yes the woman definitely control the sex scene in the west.

But, I think that they bare a greater risk from any single sexual transaction.

1. A Man doesn't lose social value when he has sex, it increases. If a woman is seen
as too easy(by you txt her for sex), she risk being call a slut.

2. She risk having a child, nine months and the pain that it carries. Also, she has to take care of it for 16 years. Yes I know child support, but realistically does it cut it? And, is it even worth headache, when you could easy navigate such consequences by choosing the right person. Beside child birth is pain full.

Yes, some women do use sex as a way to control a man, but then that is if you choose to be controlled.

You can leave.(Brinkmanship - cut off supply to control me, I am gone)
The generally counteraction for such an argument is, "You are only with me for the sex."

If you are honest, yes, or else we will just remain friends and still have the same level of convo/interaction.

True, but birth control+condoms are preeeetty effective these days. Granted women do bear the greater biological risk, and so it makes biological sense that they get the advantage of being more selective.

It just sucks for men is all!

P.S.,

Bolded word = typo, or cleverly subtle pun?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
And a clue for you: Statutory rape, while certainly not acceptable behavior in most cases, is not actually rape. There's a difference between tricking a young/naive person into giving you something and actually forcefully beating the crap out of him and taking it.

Thanks for the clue :)

And no. Actually it is rape, I'm not making this up either, I promise, it's the law :yes:

Giving consent does not mean someone can't be raped and so you know, rape does not need to involve a physical struggle. The law presumes that statutory rape involves coercion and states that the minor is not in a position to give consent, hence rape.

As I said, neither is particularly morally sound, but one is a lot worse, and it's a mistake to use the term "rape" to describe both.

More importantly, they absolutely should not carry the same severity of punishment.

They are different things, one is rape, the other statutory rape and they do have different penalties.

I have no idea what the hell your argument is or what this has to do with the OP which has basically been summed up by Orangey.

Nevermind, I understand *violin*

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I've worked in male dominated fields quite frequently. However, I recently ended a career in a female dominated one. I've never worked in an area that has a balance.

I choose all-male hands down. Yes, problems exist with both situations, but I find the problems on the male side to be more tolerable. When I get dismissed or overlooked, I just push harder and be more aggressive. I don't know if I'm liked, but I'm definitely respected. It's annoying to be seen as a sum of body parts, though. I could be firing someone and he'd still be staring at my chest.

In an all female dominated environment, I wanted to chew on poison pills. The endless stopping by for a "chat", the gossip, the cutting people down due to what they were wearing, the crying every time I got just a little too direct... The worst was when someone got engaged. The endless rambling for months and months and months about tulle vs taffeta. More often than not, it was catty and bitchy with no strategic reason. I love my sisters, but damn, this is a work environment.

I feel like a traitor.

chegra

MBTI Type
INFJ
I've worked in male dominated fields quite frequently. However, I recently ended a career in a female dominated one. I've never worked in an area that has a balance.

I choose all-male hands down. Yes, problems exist with both situations, but I find the problems on the male side to be more tolerable. When I get dismissed or overlooked, I just push harder and be more aggressive. I don't know if I'm liked, but I'm definitely respected. It's annoying to be seen as a sum of body parts, though. I could be firing someone and he'd still be staring at my chest.

In an all female dominated environment, I wanted to chew on poison pills. The endless stopping by for a "chat", the gossip, the cutting people down due to what they were wearing, the crying every time I got just a little too direct... The worst was when someone got engaged. The endless rambling for months and months and months about tulle vs taffeta. More often than not, it was catty and bitchy with no strategic reason. I love my sisters, but damn, this is a work environment.

I feel like a traitor.

You know it's weird that most women have the same sort of point of view, but yet it persist.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
^^ I know, I just don't get it. Each person should check their own attitude...

chegra

MBTI Type
INFJ

P.S.,

Bolded word = typo, or cleverly subtle pun?
Well its, not all that bad. If you look at sending txt out for sex, a woman will have a higher rate of success, 70% you say.

But lets say the man only have 1% success rate ie 99% failure rate. Lets assume the women choices were independent.
Let n represent the number of women asked. And p be the probability that atleast one says yes.
Then p = 1 - (99/100)^n

Txt 200 women you have a 86% probability of one of them saying yes.
Txt 1000 women you have a 99.9% probability of one them saying yes.

It's more of a number's game than anything else, I am pretty sure the success rate is higher than 1%.
Given that 3% of women are sex addicts:
Sexual Addiction in AllPsych Journal

Plus those girls that actually like you.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well its, not all that bad. If you look at sending txt out for sex, a woman will have a higher rate of success, 70% you say.

But lets say the man only have 1% success rate ie 99% failure rate. Lets assume the women choices were independent.
Let n represent the number of women asked. And p be the probability that atleast one says yes.
Then p = 1 - (99/100)^n

Txt 200 women you have a 86% probability of one of them saying yes.
Txt 1000 women you have a 99.9% probability of one them saying yes.

It's more of a number's game than anything else, I am pretty sure the success rate is higher than 1%.
Given that 3% of women are sex addicts:
Sexual Addiction in AllPsych Journal

Plus those girls that actually like you.

lies, damn lies, and statistics. :D

heart

heart on fire

I feel like a traitor.

Well, this was also my experience when the workplace was dominated with women, the thing I hated the most was being held as having a bad attitude when I wanted to keep to myself and not engage in all the tedious and at times meanspirited small talk. They weren't upset with me being too direct, they were on me all the time about "smile! What's the matter, are you depressed?" It gets really, really old after a while.

On the other hand my husband works in a predominately male environment and from what he and his close friends tell me, the men act just as bad as women when they are grouped together like that, including fashion police. :shock:

chegra

MBTI Type
INFJ
Sun Tzu’s book The Art of War, earned him an audience with the King of Wu, who said, “I have read your books, may i submit your theory of managing soldiers to a small test?”

Sun Tzu replied “Sir, you may.”

The King of Wu asked “Can the test be applied to women?”

Sun Tzu replied that it could, so arrangements were made to bring 180 beautiful women from the palace. Sun Tzu divided them into two troops with one of the King’s favourite concubines at the head of each. He the made all of them take spears in their hands and spoke to them: “I presume you know the difference between front and back, right and left?”

The women replied, “Yes. Of course”
Sun Tzu continued, “When to the sound of drums I order ‘eyes front,’ look straights ahead. When I order ‘left turn,’ face toward your left. When I order ‘right turn’, face toward your right. When I order turn around, face around to the back.
After the words of command had been explained, the women agreed they understood. He gave them spears so he could begin the drill. To the sound of drums, Sun Tzu ordered ‘right turn.’ In response the women burst out in laughter.

With great patience, Sun Tzu said, “If the instructions and words of command are not clear and distinct, if orders are not thoroughly understood, then the general is to blame.” He then repeated the explanations several times. This time he ordered the drums to signal ‘left turn,’ and again the women burst into laughter.

Then Sun Tzu said, “If the instructions and words of command are not clear and distinct, if orders are not thoroughly understood, the general is to blame. But if the commands are clear and the soldiers disobey, then it is the fault of the officers.” He immediately ordered the women who were at the head of the two troops to be beheaded.

Of course, the King was watching from a raised pavilion, and when he saw that his two favourite concubines were about to be executed, he was alarmed and swiftly sent down a message: “We are now quite satisfied as to the general’s ability to manage troops. Without these concubines, my food and drink will not taste good. It is the King’s wish that they not be beheaded.”

Sun Tzu replied, “Having received the sovereign’s commission to take charge and direct these troops, there are certain orders I cannot accept.” He immediately had the two concubines beheaded as an example and appointed the two next in line as the new leaders.

Now the drums were sounded and the drill began. The women performed all the maneuvers exactly as commanded. They drilled perfectly in precision and did not utter a single sound.

Sun Tzu sent a messenger to the King of Wu saying, “Your Majesty, the soldiers are now correctly drilled and perfectly disciplined. As sovereign, you may choose to require them to go through fire and water and they will not disobey.”

The King responded, “Our commander should cease the drill and return to his camp. We do not wish to come down and inspect the troops.”

With great calm, Sun Tzu said, “This King is only fond of words and cannot carry them into deeds.”

Commentary following this story indicates that the King relented, recognizing Sun Tzu’s ability and appointed him a general; and Sun Tzu won many battles.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I feel like a traitor.

We don't have those issues here, but women on our side are a minority and it's a software dev facility so it's a more "masculine" environment anyway. While I am self-expressive, I've taken care to make sure my appearance -- while feminine -- still earns me credibility in this environment, and all of the women here seem to be more "professional" in nature than the sort of goofy, catty female environment being described by some in this thread. The other side is more of the "accountant types," with a majority of female employees, and they definitely lean more in the catty/socializing direction. I enjoy the connection I share with women, but only to an extent -- as long as it's "normal." I don't like the political/social drama. Men are definitely more straightforward and easier to deal with; you just focus on the task at hand, work to accomplish the goal, and don't let it get too personal or crazy. Simple, right?

I have a good friend in town who's one of just two males in a legal facility where everyone else is female, and the daily drama drives him crazy.