• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which course would be more practical?

Snow Turtle

Which course would suit me more?

I have spent the last month thinking about what course I should take, wondering what it would be like and where it would lead me. Currently the options are:

• Geography & Geology
  • Physical Geography
  • Human Geography
  • Psychology

Having gone down mostly the science route at school. I decided to take geology and geophysics which proved to be a total disaster. I don't have a natural interest for geology so the last two semesters have been spent being miserable and demotivated as I fall behind on the work.

Geography and Geology are broad science degrees. I thought it'd be useful to have geography/mathematics as a national curriculum subject if I wanted to become a teacher. However there's the problem that I might end up in a similar position to now if I go ahead with it.

There's psychology. This course is attached with so much uncertainty as I'd no idea where I'd be going with the degree and what's actually involved. Considering that it'd need to be BPS accredited there would also be a large biological/statistical element involved. Would I enjoy such thing? Would my interest in psychology diminish when actually being required to work? There's also the additional problem of my written english being sub-par. Defintely a whole load of uncertainty.

Difficult to shake off the feeling that this decision will shape my future permenantly so I don't want to make another mistake. What path route did people here take and what they think about their decisions, why did you take it?

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'd suggest looking at the actual careers and asking if they would be fulfilling and satisfying. If they are, see if you can get through the education required. (I don't really see why you'd need written skills for psychology, btw, nor do I get why you would choose geology if it already bores you, but those are side issues.)

riel

MBTI Type
ISFP
Before I entered college, I considered taking either Psychology or Fine Arts but ended taking up BS Nursing. However, after 2 years, I realized that even though my personality type mostly likes to ensure others' well-being, it was not true for me. So, I thought about my previously considered courses and decided that they were not for me either. Why? I didn't like the jobs associated with someone who has a degree in Psychology and Art doesn't energize me, even though I have a talent for it(something you're good at doesn't necessarily energize you). So, I thought about the activities I enjoyed and I realized I like to conduct experiments(I've always contemplated of buying a microscope)and at the same time, learning about the human body and its various diseases. That's how I came up with BS in Medical Technology. I cannot tell you yet how things went for me in this course because I'll be entering this course this April 2009(summer class). Anyway, I advise you see a career counselor. Too bad we don't have that kind of job here in the Philippines--only a psychologist.

P.S. Goodluck! ;)

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I took a couple of human geography courses during undergrad and found them interesting as all get out. Very close to sociology in some respects.

Also, my Dad is a geologist and my childhood memories are peppered with incidents of my father coming to a screeching halt at the side of the road on holidays so he could take us out and tell us, in great detail, about the rock formations there. If you plan on having kids, maybe don't go into geology. (I'm kidding, my Dad is amusing, but I've never really understood why he finds rocks so darned fascinating)

maliafee

I suggest letting go of all of that as none seems satisfying. Try something entirely new.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
It never hurts to know a little statistics... or human nature (psychology).

I'm not sure what your interests might be... but I did a BSc in pharmacology (drug studies) with a minor in Psych. But human behaviour always interest me. I'm also taking a intro marketing course as an elective at the moment. It certainly makes me look at things a little differently. Good to broaden your perspective by taking a business/economics course. :)

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I took a couple of human geography courses during undergrad and found them interesting as all get out. Very close to sociology in some respects.

Also, my Dad is a geologist and my childhood memories are peppered with incidents of my father coming to a screeching halt at the side of the road on holidays so he could take us out and tell us, in great detail, about the rock formations there. If you plan on having kids, maybe don't go into geology. (I'm kidding, my Dad is amusing, but I've never really understood why he finds rocks so darned fascinating)

Did it ever happen that someone else stoped and said to your father that his insane? (or something like that)

Or that some people had "WTF?!" comment on your fathers actions and explanation? (if rocks are included)

As for the OP, avoid Geology if you are not really interested.

Snow Turtle

Well alot has happened since I last posted.

I've decided that I won't be sticking in Bsc Geography or Geology, as it's insane to do a course that I'm only superficially interested in. (Think of the child inspired by pictures and New scientist magazines.)

I believe I'm interested in psychology however most of the things I've read comes from popular psychology books such as "Blink", embarrasingly... Self-help books or forums like these. These are the sub-sections I'm usually browsing in.

Relationships
Psychology (MBTI - Yay!)
Philosophy/Ethics/Spirituality

It's weird that I haven't officially read any real books on these topics. However I do know that in my spare time I'm occasionally entertaining pointless questions like the train track dilemma or the ethics behind something like the bystander effect. It might all be surface interest though. Think what I like most about psychology is that it allows me to build an understanding of others and myself. It's really practical in that sense.

Snow Turtle

Did it ever happen that someone else stoped and said to your father that his insane? (or something like that)

Or that some people had "WTF?!" comment on your fathers actions and explanation? (if rocks are included)

Haha! Yes.
It's been mentioned by my tutors that it's unwise to travel in a car behind them as they'll suddenly pull over. That's some dedicated to their subject. :shock:

Anyhow I might still do Human Geography, but that's probably because I want to stay around my friends at university than because of a strong interest. (Silly reason to do a course I know but the Fe)

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Haha! Yes.
It's been mentioned by my tutors that it's unwise to travel in a car behind them as they'll suddenly pull over. That's some dedicated to their subject. :shock:

That is because for us the entire world is one big puzzle and the every rock you see is a piece.

From experiance I know that people are thinking "WTF" when they see us at work.