• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Questions about graduate study

groovejet02

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Do high school results affect one's chance of being accepted into grad school for a master's degree? I'm an undergrad who's doing quite well in a B.A in journalism, but my HS results were disgusting, to say the least.

That said, what do you recommend I further my studies in? I would love to be an 'academic activist' (Sloppy term, I know. Well, basically someone who researches into things such as discrimination and influence changes in a concrete way, like policies. I would love to work in a think tank/non profit). My prime interest is gender (other interests include racism, poverty, etc) but women's studies would be too narrow, wouldn't it? (though not out of the question). Other ideas floating in my head are international relations, anthropology, sociology, public policy and development studies.

(I know, I know that it all depends on the school I apply to, right? But generally speaking, what are my chances? I have less than 2 years before I graduate, so I'm just assessing my options.)

Any valuable input would be much appreciated! :D

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
1. Highschool? NO! Even undergrad grades to some extent only plays a partial role. It's about finding a good fit with your supervisor. If they back you, you're in.

2. It doesn't depend on the school... it depends on the prof you're working under. The choice should be based on which field of research interests you... and based on that, find your prof... then you bring the school into consideration.

3. Chances? God knows. You best bet is to ask around. Figure out which area you are interested in and hunt out the profs in the field. Find out as much about them as you can... if possible, contact their current or previous grad students and ask them their experiences working under the prof.

4. To think about... Why are you interested in a master's degree? What extra benefit does it gain you? Is it worth the extra year/2 years? Is it worth the dough?

groovejet02

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Thanks for replying.

Why a master's? Because I would like to climb to the upper echelon policy making. I want to influence things strategically, And as narcissistic as this may sound, I would like to be an expert in my areas of interest - attend conferences, write papers and books, etc. Plus, for the intellectual challenge. There are simply many things I want to learn. Studying for a B.A - especially in journalism in a small local college - doesn't satisfy me intellectually.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Highschool grades won't matter at all.

Consider transfering to a bigger university for the final 2 years of your undergrad degree. When there, find a prof who LOVES you and make sure you do everything possible to impress this prof and put them in a cheerleader position when it comes to grad school applications.

Effort will make a big difference here - if you're very interested in and motivated by a topic, it'll show. Your results will show it.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The only high school grade that matters to Graduate programs, ironically, is P.E. How were your basketball skills? Graduate programs are obsessed with free-throw percentages.

groovejet02

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Consider transferring to a bigger university for the final 2 years of your undergrad degree. When there, find a prof who LOVES you and make sure you do everything possible to impress this prof and put them in a cheerleader position when it comes to grad school applications.

Great idea! I'm gonna drop by another university soon to check out if I can transfer.

The only high school grade that matters to Graduate programs, ironically, is P.E. How were your basketball skills? Graduate programs are obsessed with free-throw percentages.

Oh noes! I didn't attend that most of the time. I didn't even bother faking cramps, I simply gave a bitchy face. :devil:

Anyone else have any input? Considering the fees of the university I'm planning to check out, most likely I would have to suck it up at where I'm at right now :(

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I don't agree with Kangirl. You don't have to transfer for any of that. Find a prof at your current school whose 1) work you admire and 2) personality you feel comfortable with. Ask them for guidance, for some research position (unpaid or paid or for credits -- some universities offer units for research projects or theses), and eventually, you'll ask them for a kick ass letter of rec. You could even find a couple profs like these and juggle/play them all like a player. I'm seriously. It's a good mentality to adopt, imo, too.

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
I agree with Edahn. Transferring schools is not necessary so long as the school you are at is accredited by your state. However, if you would like to transfer, you can always fill out a FAFSA and find some financial aid...it's out there, you just have to look for it.

If the journalism program is much better at the other school you're looking at, then go for it. I did my first 2 years at an accredited commuter school, and then transferred for my last 2 years to a much larger university because the program there was significantly better. For me, it was a great experience.

Really, the important thing to get into grad school is to have some great references and do decent on the GRE. Once you get into the upper-levels of your undergrad courses, find a professor you really like, and take them for as many classes as you can. Stay after class and talk to them, and do your best work there. Like Edahn said, you can always ask of there is a student-work program within the department to be hired. If your prof. is a PhD candidate, the chances are good that they are doing research and need Graduate Research Assistants (or knows someone else that does need assistants). You really can't rely on a job posting on a website to get you in the door. Be proactive about it.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
No, I don't think transfer is a *necessity* either, I was just throwing it out there in the interests of maximising chances.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Consider transfering to a bigger university for the final 2 years of your undergrad degree.
I'm sure it varies based on location, but be very careful if you do this, because many universities will give you huge troubles with transferring (and you may not find out until it's too late). Many schools won't recognize some of the credits from other universities, and a lot of the time they won't tell you this up-front. Then you'll end up with huge hassles and maybe take longer to graduate.

Not to scare you but I've heard enough horror stories to warn me away from transferring without a VERY good reason. Not sure what the benefit is at all, actually. Many, many people switch schools after graduating, to go on to a masters.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Do high school results affect one's chance of being accepted into grad school for a master's degree? I'm an undergrad who's doing quite well in a B.A in journalism, but my HS results were disgusting, to say the least.

That said, what do you recommend I further my studies in? I would love to be an 'academic activist' (Sloppy term, I know. Well, basically someone who researches into things such as discrimination and influence changes in a concrete way, like policies. I would love to work in a think tank/non profit). My prime interest is gender (other interests include racism, poverty, etc) but women's studies would be too narrow, wouldn't it? (though not out of the question). Other ideas floating in my head are international relations, anthropology, sociology, public policy and development studies.
High school results matter not at all. Most grad schools look at your bachelor's results and extra stuff e.g. your undergrad research projects, whether they've been published, etc. If you want to be a shoo-in for the position, make sure that you make an impression on the person who you want to be your supervisor. Preferably, do some sort of a project with him/her, even if it's free.

Even if that person doesn't take you on eventually (due to funding reasons or some other reason) make sure that you've made a good enough impression and done enough work so that they'll write you a stunning recommendation for someone else to take you on. Also try (if possible) to work with someone who's recognised in that particular field so that you'll make an impression just by name-dropping while you're supervisor-hunting.

I can't advise you much on which course to take because I'm doing the science route.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
No, high school grades don't count, thank God!

It's all about the SOP, research experience (working with a prof on a project, conference presentations, even publication if that's possible for you...it wasn't really for me), GRE, and recommendations.

About the transferring business...if you're shooting for elite schools (Ivy league, top ten program) then you will have a better chance coming from a better undergrad institution. This is only true, though it shouldn't be misinterpreted as meaning that you have no chance if you went to a lower ranked and less prestigious school. Just lower than if you had gone to a 'better' school (even though rankings and prestige are utter bullshit...but you have to put up with this sort of attitude in academic circles, no matter how egalitarian and progressive they purport to be). If you're shooting for anything less, then I'd say it's not worth it to transfer, especially if your credentials are good.

Thought I'd throw my opinion in there. Good luck with your studies.