• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What to do with a BA in Philosophy

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Life after Philosophy

Employers very often want people who are adaptable rather than those who are already trained along particular lines. Philosophy graduates have learnt how to identify, analyse and solve problems, and to present their solutions in clear, precise and concise arguments. These are very valuable skills in the workplace, and also provide a good intellectual basis for vocational training. Indeed, they constitute the 'Key Skills' currently identified by the Government as required for a successful career in a competitive job-market. There are philosophy graduates in law, government, the media, management consultancy, accountancy, social work, business in general, teaching, stained glass windows manufacture, and many other lines of work.

(Stained glass windows manufacture I'm aware looks totally out of place and must be somewhat tongue-in-cheek; I and my philosopher friends found it incredibly amusing when I first came across it.)

Any other ideas?

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Four years of college.....and plenty of knowledge....have earned me this useless degree.

Derrr..

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Hopefully you enjoyed your major and learned something in the process. More and more, I believe one can't see a degree as a means to an end.

So answering your question : anything that interests you and that you can prove you're qualified to do (yeah, there's no real answer). You must ask yourself why you chose the major in the first place.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
My friend who got a philosophy BA went into computers. He said

"The philosophy factory closed."

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
justifying weapon trade?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Counseling and Social work accept students who do not have a bachelors in those same areas. Philosophy as an undergrad degree for that course of study makes some sense, since it pursues clear and reasoned thought which is related to counseling people in psychology. Existential psychology could be one particular area of interest. Of course this career track is only useful if you would enjoy the daily toil of talking to people about their emotional and behavioral issues.