• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Self-expression in professional settings.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
pt mostly answered it for the professional setting. When I first read the OP, Not2bforgot10 came off to me as more intent on self-expression than helping the patient in the therapist office. It's not about her...if she knows that several facial piercings and multicolored hair or whatever is going to turn off her clients then I'd think if she's truly there for them and not for herself she'd change her outward appearance.

I actually think she is quite brave and unselfish (if a little idealistic) in her attitude, she wants to change perceptions starting with herself, that is bold and admirable. It's about individuals being people, before anything else. To pretend that all therapists are inwardly the same because they all share the same outward appearance is just wrong. Pretending that professionals are professionals before people, is completely unrealistic.

There are so many venues available for self-expression so to me the question is when and where to express myself, not should if it be done at all. What's practical for your place of employment? I go to the hair salon and all the stylists have funky hair colors and styles and that's totally alright. My job is pretty casual so jeans and suits aren't out of place, but we still have a dress code. If someone comes in like they're about to get on a pole, that's totally out of place. At that point it's not about self-expression to me, it's just I'm going to do what I want to do regardless of anyone else.

All I'm saying is that ideally abilty should rate much higher than appearance in most jobs but so often it just goes to show that conformity is very highly valued.

Yes, I do prefer someone who's upfront about themselves but it's not like someone who's in a suit isn't being upfront about themselves either. This also kind of relates to why I started the maturity thread, because I think a big part of being a mature person is seeing yourself as others see you and realizing the ramifications (positive or negative) of your actions.

How do you do this by the way? Without asking others directly and coming across as selfabsorbed? I'm curious.

Personally, I can related a lot to what the OP says. I have dreadlocks in my hair and my parents swear up and down that it's going to harm my career. Absolutely nothing anyone can say would make me change my hair. So I do understand those non-negligible parts of yourself that people either have to take or leave. If my hair stops me from getting a job then that's something I'm prepared to deal with and maybe that's not where I want to work.

But why should hair be a barrier at all? Why should you have to change something that is so irrelevant to your ability to do the job. It's hair not a (dis)qualification.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
That she isn't serious about the job.

But she's exactly the same person just in one case she has decided to listen to internet forum advice and the other she hasn't. In both cases she could be equally unserious about the job. Dressing up shows that she knows what you want, but that's it, it tells nothing of her motive or ability.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
But she's exactly the same person just in one case she has decided to listen to internet forum advice and the other she hasn't.

Yes. I wouldn't want to hire someone who puts expressing themselves, at work, with clients, ahead of the job... so she has told me exactly where her priorities lie. If she shows up ready for an interview, I'm not going to know if she holds the same attitude, never had the attitude, changed because of the internet, or changed because she agreed with the arguments for professionalism...

But I will know what she chose if she doesn't change.

I am filling a role. When I hire, I expect that person to fill the role. Obviously I'm going to look at experience and history above anything else... but this is telling me that I'm dealing with someone inflexible. I can't depend on that person to fit into the role smoothly. Even pigtails might be serious enough if I was running a corporate/executive geared counselling company. But I can't say it would be a plus, even if it was hiring for kids/school... not for the interview, anyway. Depends on my read of the person and why they did it.

In both cases she could be equally unserious about the job. Dressing up shows that she knows what you want, but that's it, it tells nothing of her motive or ability.

No, it does tell me something - that she is not willing to change herself/expressing herself to get the job. She is less serious about the job than the need to conform.

I'm a big believer in using the right information to make the right decision... this is a rather small piece of information... but if you scale it up to the attitude that is likely to manifest in other ways, a small signal can be an iceberg. And if I have no better information to go on, that's what I'm going to go on.

(This is just to emphasize that pigtails is a pretty insignificant detail, and since no two people are identical, it's not like I would have to pick from just that detail... and that detail doesn't mean much without knowing the reason for it... and it depends on the job. So this is mostly a generalized discussion now :D )

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
(This is just to emphasize that pigtails is a pretty insignificant detail, and since no two people are identical, it's not like I would have to pick from just that detail... and that detail doesn't mean much without knowing the reason for it... and it depends on the job. So this is mostly a generalized discussion now :D )

So we agree then? :D

Some people do blow those insignificant details out of proportion though.

It is interesting though, the abilty to conform easily is obviously a very valuable tool, no wonder our education systems encourage conformity.

Mole

Permabanned
...the abilty to conform easily is obviously a very valuable tool, no wonder our education systems encourage conformity.

Yes, our education is still based on Prussian pedagogy.

And Prussian pedagogy was not designed to nurture creativity.

In fact Prussian pedagogy was designed to nurture conformity.

But today with the electronic media, such as the one in front of you, we are moving into presence.

So oddly enough, we are teaching conformity when the noosphere is moving from creativity to presence and has left conformity way, way behind.

So the dissociation of education and the noosphere has become a gulf.

And so the type of personality produced today is neither conformist nor creative nor even present, but dissociated.

Today it is the dissociated personality that fits the environment.

And it is MBTI that validates the dissociated personality.

So it is no wonder that two and a quarter million Americans do the MBTI test every year.

It does not good at all to say that MBTI is bogus personality test with unsavory origins - because it meets the needs of today.

MBTI successfully meets the needs of millions upon millions of dissociated personalities.

And so MBTI is a success.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
So we agree then? :D

Some people do blow those insignificant details out of proportion though.

It is interesting though, the abilty to conform easily is obviously a very valuable tool, no wonder our education systems encourage conformity.

The problem with the "insignificant details" is knowing which ones are indicators of something more significant and which ones are benign and meaningless.

This kind of reminds of the a doctor's bedside manner. Do you convey the feeling of being competent, do you convey the feeling of caring for the patient, do you convey being knowledgeable? It's an attitude a person is able to communicate to someone that allays their anxieties. If you know that having a face full of piercings interrupts that (us smaller minds find that distracting) do you make the other person change or do you change yourself, especially considering your line of work? Of course, someone can lie and deceive. I'm not trying to weight one more heavily than the other, but what counts for anything if everything's just an insignificant detail?

You ever walked down a dark empty street in the wee hours of the morning and see some menacing looking person walking up on you? What goes through your mind? Doesn't something about their appearance indicate something about them? This isn't true 100% of the time, but it's true often enough for it not to be ignored. The appearance of a thing often advertises what it is.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
So the question... Should psychotherapists be allowed to exhibit themselves (fashion-wise) however they want?

Legally? Sure, have at it. But anyone who does this in practice needs to be prepared for maybe not getting as many jobs as they would like to.

If I go to a job interview, it means I want the job. If I want the job, I want to maximise my chances of getting the job. I'd take the pigtails out. Does this make me inauthentic? Not imo, it just means I'm willing to do what's necessary to get the job.

If I'm the one giving the interview and someone shows up with holes in their pants and pigtails, they'd hurt their chances of getting the job. Especially if it's a short interview and I don't have much to go on.

It's weird to me when people feel very strongly about stuff like...pigtails... and what they say about that person's 'being'. It's not about *you* - it's not about how authentic you feel. In your own house, on your own, it is. But at a workplace? No, that's about doing a job, not about expressing yourself.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
The problem with the "insignificant details" is knowing which ones are indicators of something more significant and which ones are benign and meaningless.

This kind of reminds of the a doctor's bedside manner. Do you convey the feeling of being competent, do you convey the feeling of caring for the patient, do you convey being knowledgeable? It's an attitude a person is able to communicate to someone that allays their anxieties. If you know that having a face full of piercings interrupts that (us smaller minds find that distracting) do you make the other person change or do you change yourself, especially considering your line of work? Of course, someone can lie and deceive. I'm not trying to weight one more heavily than the other, but what counts for anything if everything's just an insignificant detail?

What about House? He may be an arsehole and have zero bedside manner but I know for sure who I would want by my bedside if I had a mysterious rare illness (if I lived in tv land). *Note: I don't really watch House so maybe a stupid example.

You ever walked down a dark empty street in the wee hours of the morning and see some menacing looking person walking up on you? What goes through your mind? Doesn't something about their appearance indicate something about them? This isn't true 100% of the time, but it's true often enough for it not to be ignored. The appearance of a thing often advertises what it is.

I'm suspicious of everyone and tolerant of most, but I'm strange like that. :D

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
What about House? He may be an arsehole and have zero bedside manner but I know for sure who I would want by my bedside if I had a mysterious rare illness (if I lived in tv land). *Note: I don't really watch House so maybe a stupid example.

Yeah I used to watch House but it became too painful around the third season. And I did think about him when I thought about the whole bedside manner thingy. I remember talking to my doctor friend about House and she said he wouldn't have even made it through residency if he was that big of an asshole (and didn't hide it).

Would I want him as my doctor? Eesh, that's actually a hard question. I'm going to get a bit personal.

Recently my mother was hospitalized in very critical condition. Let's just say the doctor acted really detached from her referring to her as "the patient," never using her name, saying that it's unlikely she'll live, even my IxTP siblings thought she was extremely dispassionate. The manner in which the doctor acted affected how the nurses treated my mother or at least I thought it did. The next week a different team of doctors handled my mother. The difference was unbelievable. Not that the new doctor was petting us or anything, but I felt like there was a bit more humanity.

Which doctor was more capable? Well I felt that the second team of doctors appeared more capable because there was an element of care that wasn't with the previous team. That colored my perception. Objectively the level of care was probably about the same. I really have no idea, but it made a difference as far as I'm concerned.

I'm suspicious of everyone and tolerant of most, but I'm strange like that. :D

It's OK, I'm strangely tolerant of strange people. ;)

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
and she said he wouldn't have even made it through residency if he was that big of an asshole (and didn't hide it).

That's partly my point, we miss out on brilliance and great results just because that person doesn't fit the typical mould.

When it comes to healthcare, I think I have a very results based mindset (there is no point having a friendly doctor if he can't help improve your health, you might as well see a counselor) but I can understand how others would want more than that or something different.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
(I'm going to dig deep here); I'd like to get to the real core of this. Please, especially INTJ's and those who have difficulty with allowing themselves to be vulnerable, share your vulnerable, beautiful experiences... open your hearts for a second and just let out what's inside.

Whut? Okay.

My uncle, a possible NTJ and unpleasant prick of a man, rode motorcycles when he was young, sported a leather jacket, and had long hair. Then somehow or other, got a tech job in a telecommunications company. After a step up the ladder into management he became, overnight, Mr Well Groomed Pinstripe Suit. He said he loved his bike and his jacket, but he couldn't spare the extra ten minutes he'd need in every meeting making the clients get over their first impressions.

So to offset the girlishness of the pig tails, consider an aggressive visible tattoo. Think balanced first impression.

My own beautiful experience came to pass in Thailand. There's a dress code for any and all teachers there, so while doing some training I, for the first time in my life, wore pleated slacks, white shirt, and a tie. I have long since discarded all three, but not lost the habit of shaving every day. That part of personal presentation I am pleased to maintain.

It's beautiful, and I don't know why.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't get the obsession some people have with 'self-expression'. What's going to happen if you adhere to a dress code? Is it going to change your personality?

You can dress the way you want to in your free time...if you want to get paid, you have to pay attention to the image you're protraying, especially in a field like therapy. Wearing pants with holes in them, for instance, would send the message to many most people that you don't care enough about the job (and by association, about them) to dress appropriately.

also +1 to all this.
Legally? Sure, have at it. But anyone who does this in practice needs to be prepared for maybe not getting as many jobs as they would like to.

If I go to a job interview, it means I want the job. If I want the job, I want to maximise my chances of getting the job. I'd take the pigtails out. Does this make me inauthentic? Not imo, it just means I'm willing to do what's necessary to get the job.

If I'm the one giving the interview and someone shows up with holes in their pants and pigtails, they'd hurt their chances of getting the job. Especially if it's a short interview and I don't have much to go on.

It's weird to me when people feel very strongly about stuff like...pigtails... and what they say about that person's 'being'. It's not about *you* - it's not about how authentic you feel. In your own house, on your own, it is. But at a workplace? No, that's about doing a job, not about expressing yourself.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I'm writing to see what people think of self-expression in professional settings; in particular, the psychotherapy setting.

I was in class the other day and we were talking about ethics, etc, and some of the students argued that psychotherapists should not have piercings, tattoos, etc.

I, personally, have pigtails, which I actually think are very cute and they're "me" and I was discouraged by some of the students to wear these.

I realize that if I have pig tails I may not be taken seriously by some people, but to be honest, I don't care--in the sense that it will not stop me from wearing pig tails. The pig tails are "me;" they're part of what makes me unique, and I will not change that for anyone! I want people to start looking beyond outer appearances and the only way I'm going to do that or make any social change in people's eyes is by starting with myself! If I'm going to be the example then I'm going to stick to it.

I think that when people change their style they are giving into society's judgmentalness and stereotypes. I think they are letting society get the "best" of them. Why should we have to compromise our individuality? Why not all be authentic in expression? If we all continued to change our appearances/who we are, then we will never really know one another on any real, personal, intimate level.
I am curious as to hear people's take on this.

So the question... Should psychotherapists be allowed to exhibit themselves (fashion-wise) however they want?

(I'm going to dig deep here); I'd like to get to the real core of this. Please, especially INTJ's and those who have difficulty with allowing themselves to be vulnerable, share your vulnerable, beautiful experiences... open your hearts for a second and just let out what's inside.

Thank you.
Okay, so it appears that you know... and perhaps even like... some INTJs in your life.
So you know we like to point out inconsistencies, right?

I mean, I know exactly how you feel. I hate that people judge us by our outward appearance. I don't think it's right, and I used to rebel against it when I was younger. When I was older, I went into business for myself and I learned how to dress and act in such a way as to be successful... "dress for success" as it were. One principle I learned was that the more you conform to the stereotypical image of what a "professional" should look like, the more (quantity) people are going to be able to relate to you. The more you stray away from the classic professional image to something more individualized, the less (quantity) people will be able to relate to you... generally speaking, of course.

If you were going to be a counselor at a summer camp full of young people, I would think that pigtails and holey jeans would be perfect because your "look" would help the young people be able to relate to you. I think Jennifer was right when she said that it depends on your clientele, and who you're trying to relate to.

The inconsistency I'd like to point out is that even though pigtails are "you", you posted 3 photos of yourself in your profile, and you don't have pigtails in any of the pictures. So, there are some times when you don't wear pigtails. You don't have to wear them all the time.

I think the point is that if you're going to help people, I think it's probably somewhat important for them to feel comfortable in your presence, and the way you dress can affect how people feel about you and about what you say. I think the setting you work in and the clientele you work with somewhat dictates how professionally you need to present yourself.

I had an INFP counselor who was self-employed. Her office was very INFP-ish. She dressed and acted INFP-ish, but I was comfortable with that. (I.e. it was not some sterile ISTJ environment.)

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
I suspect that at the beginning of ones professional working life there's always a learning curve where one finds out if one likes ones job or doesn't. If one does, one tends to adapt. Being highly individual (relative to the normal standard of that workplace) takes energy, and after a while one keeps up this expression really only if they're dissatisfied with their job or the place or the people.

Not2bforgot10, what's your feeling about your future career? Is it you?

(Keep on truckin', soldier. Pig tails in the office will likely end up a non-issue. My real question to you is, the women's business suit: knee-length or thigh-high skirts? High heels or flats? Open-necked shirt with a push-up bra? Doctors with those lab coats... do they sometimes have nothing on underneath?)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
You can dress the way you want to in your free time...if you want to get paid, you have to pay attention to the image you're protraying, especially in a field like therapy. Wearing pants with holes in them, for instance, would send the message to many most people that you don't care enough about the job (and by association, about them) to dress appropriately.

But I'm sure you know that's bullshit. Now I want to become a corporate leader, just to start hiring ONLY people that show up with holes in their pants. Maybe they spent time doing something more productive rather than trying to see how their dress fits.

I am filling a role. When I hire, I expect that person to fill the role.

What? A role? Lol man. It's your life. It amazes me how sometimes people can have such widely different views of what is...reality.

Rangler

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w8
Screw that. Personal expression is looked down upon in business because the goals are suppose to come before the people. Also, business attire is like a sports jersey, it creates unity, which is exactly what you want to encourage when taking on large projects. Image counts. Anyone who tells you otherwise isn't in a position to hire people.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Screw that. Personal expression is looked down upon in business because the goals are suppose to come before the people.

True. But I think that this can be interpreted in various ways. One would be: who cares how one dresses, as long as he can get shit done well.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Well it is no wonder that the business world struggles so much with innovation, creativity and change, they are too busy maintaining their expected norms.